The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shaaayxp
Actually I live in London and I kindawant to get away, otherwise I'll probably be living at home for another three years and i just nope :| I know it's expensive but at least the London loan is higher if u really wanted to come here for uni! To be honest though KCL COULD just tempt me to stay.

I'm not even going to think about firm and insurance until I actually get an offer to save myself from any disappointment :/

Ahh right I getcha. You could try to convince parents to stay in accomodation because learning life management skills but idk. If I was in your situation my parents would be pretty much forcing me to stay at home with them haha. That is very true and something I have been taking into account!

That's actually a very good point haha I should probably do the same. :') How's your personal statement going?
Original post by Ellie419
A friend of mine got an offer from them on friday for chemical physics. She hasn't got any grades yet. She's just been invited to interview at Imperial as well
When did she send her application?
Around the 25th September. I'm not 100% about the exact date but its only been two weeks and she has had 3 replies.
Original post by Ellie419
Around the 25th September. I'm not 100% about the exact date but its only been two weeks and she has had 3 replies.

Ah great, mine was sent off yesterday, I hope to get offers soon, the wait is too long :frown:
Just because you send your application in this early and/or other folk are getting offers for the same Uni/course does not mean you will.

Unis will make immediate offers only to the high-scorers, and everyone else will be put on hold, and may have to wait until March or April for a decision - which btw could be No.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Just because you send your application in this early and/or other folk are getting offers for the same Uni/course does not mean you will.

Uni will make immediate offers only to the high-scorers, and everyone else will be put on hold, and may have to wait until March or April for a decision - which btw could be No.

What do you mean the high scorers?? Like people who already have super strong applications? So the longer you wait the weaker you appear....?
I feel like some of you guys are thinking way too much into this haha! Unis don't really have a specific algorithm for when they send out offers, they just have loads to go through and there are a HUGE amount of factors that can affect your waiting time, from the course, to the uni itself, from the application to the time you sent it... really don't sweat it! Remember that all unis HAVE to consider all applications received by the 15th January (unless Oxbridge or medicine/dentistry/veterinary sciences etc.) totally equally! Trust me, I'm as anxious as you are to get offers but really, don't sweat it if you're waiting longer than some people :smile:
Original post by Lauren1498x
What do you mean the high scorers?? Like people who already have super strong applications? So the longer you wait the weaker you appear....?

These will be people whose scores are high enough that the Admissions staff know they will definitely get an offer whatever happens. This is done as any/all applications come rolling in right up to the Jan deadline. Gradually the score for an offer is reduced and therefore as others apply they get an offer or get put on hold. This is why some people wait months, but do get an offer eventually. For some courses offers are made in batches or are only made once all applications are in come January. So don't get paranoid about this........

Btw there are no 'special prizes' for early offers. It may be an impressive application, but that's all it is - they still have to get the same grades in August. And there is no correlation between 'early offer' and a First, so it has nothing to do with intellect or potential either. Its just that the Admissions staff have to start somewhere.
Original post by lemonandlime1
How long is reasonable for teachers to write references?
How long do you think I should wait before I nag to get it done because I be reveived it Tuesday but I think he's waiting until after the 15th to get the medicine/oxbridge applicants sorted :/

My school says up to 3 weeks (but tbf our internal deadline for non oxbridge/medicine is 22nd October) but for me (Oxbridge) they said a few days
Original post by IcedArizona
Tbh my personal statement is 100% academic only focusing on the course (although I do talk about future careers etc but that's still related to the course). My referee talked about my extracurricular activities in my reference so that I didn't have to waste precious characters in my ps :smile:
Really suggest that if you can influence easily your tutor, I got to read mine and give feedback on it, which was really nice.

For ppl who haven't yet done their ps or are half way through it, just write one complete draft and don't worry too much about the language at that point, once you have a base it's so much easier to go and edit that to make it perfect. This tip honestly helped me so much and hope it helps others :smile:

Good luck to everybody

I heard that your referee legally has to say whether you've seen your reference or not? Like they have to tell the unis if it was open or closed :s-smilie: maybe I'm wrong and my school told us bs, but glad your reference is good!
Original post by Gogregg
Thank you!
Medicine at UEA, Barts and the London, Newcastle and Dundee :biggrin:

:woo: you too!!!

my brother does medicine at dundee and he is in love with the course, it's very patient based from day one so you actually get practical knowledge earlier than many other medics :smile:
Original post by gmahapatra
Out of interest, what college at Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Queens' 😊 Are you applying there?
Original post by everythingice
Ahh right I getcha. You could try to convince parents to stay in accomodation because learning life management skills but idk. If I was in your situation my parents would be pretty much forcing me to stay at home with them haha. That is very true and something I have been taking into account!

That's actually a very good point haha I should probably do the same. :':wink: How's your personal statement going?

I'm tempted to look but then I see something like £200 for a week and don't think not eating for like the next three years is an option haha. I probably just need to look harder tbh, there are cheaper options.

My personal statement and stuff are done, I just need to pay but I'm deciding between Warwick and Southampton for one of my choices. How about you? :biggrin:
Original post by Its_Tito
I heard that your referee legally has to say whether you've seen your reference or not? Like they have to tell the unis if it was open or closed :s-smilie: maybe I'm wrong and my school told us bs, but glad your reference is good!

Nope.
Original post by jneill
Nope.

At my daughters school there's no mention of being allowed to see a reference and even predicted grades are a bit of a non subject
They did indicate if you got an A* for A level maths ( done in y12) then you'd get that predicted for further maths.
Saying that the references and processing of the application all seemed very quick though if any senior staff even glanced at the pr I'd be surprised.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cloudinthesky
At my daughters school there's no mention of being allowed to see a reference and even predicted grades are a bit of a non subject
They did indicate if you got an A* for A level maths ( done in y12) then you'd get that predicted for further maths.
Saying that the references and processing of the application all seemed very quick though if any senior staff even glanced at the pr I'd be surprised.

By law you can see the reference for freedom of information. Not sure if the school or UCAS charge the administrative fee tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cloudinthesky

Original post by cogito.
By law you can see the reference for freedom of information. Not sure if the school or UCAS charge the administrative fee tho.

UCAS charges £10 to obtain a copy of your application, including the reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone received any sort of acknowledgement email from Uni of Glasgow? :redface:
[QUOTE=everythingice;67956146]Psychology. :h:

Oo i'm applying for that, where you applying? :smile:
Original post by SayoniRoy
Anyone received any sort of acknowledgement email from Uni of Glasgow? :redface:

A guy in my year already has an unconditional from them