The Student Room Group

Shall I drop out (again)

Longer story short as it can is that I am now into my 30s, did study at college when I was 16, started a 2 year course at 17 and dropped out at 18 (more due to lack of funding and wanting time out to enjoy life) then went back 10 years ago for a year but dropped out 2 months before the end due to family death then started uni part time but dropped out, then again and for the few years since then started college and dropped out within a week or two as mental health problems mostly emaning I don't get out of bed to late afternoon.

Did do a January start course this year and started doing ok, waking up early a few nights a week but missed a lot of classes as still slept in and wasn't used to early starts and by time I got home was like 6pm and had to go to bed around 10pm to get up early enough to not be late.

I got accepted onto a good course and decided this was it I was at a point I could change and its too late to put it off any more but 1 day into course had a serious accomodation problem where my ceiling collapsed in one room and 3 weeks later its still not fully resolved.

I have missed over 90% of my classes though I can catch up I was meant to be in at 9am today but slept in and feefling even if I turn up im so far behind its going to be stressful to catch up even if its easy work and also means if I need to take a day off for something in future I can't really do it.

So I am debating dropping out now and doing a course in Jan at local college (this one was further away but much better college) or doing a evening class at local university to get access to facilities as well as student union.

So go to class now and arrive a hour before end of 1st lecture, then afternoon as usual, or drop out totally?
Reply 1
Original post by drbluebox
Longer story short as it can is that I am now into my 30s, did study at college when I was 16, started a 2 year course at 17 and dropped out at 18 (more due to lack of funding and wanting time out to enjoy life) then went back 10 years ago for a year but dropped out 2 months before the end due to family death then started uni part time but dropped out, then again and for the few years since then started college and dropped out within a week or two as mental health problems mostly emaning I don't get out of bed to late afternoon.

Did do a January start course this year and started doing ok, waking up early a few nights a week but missed a lot of classes as still slept in and wasn't used to early starts and by time I got home was like 6pm and had to go to bed around 10pm to get up early enough to not be late.

I got accepted onto a good course and decided this was it I was at a point I could change and its too late to put it off any more but 1 day into course had a serious accomodation problem where my ceiling collapsed in one room and 3 weeks later its still not fully resolved.

I have missed over 90% of my classes though I can catch up I was meant to be in at 9am today but slept in and feefling even if I turn up im so far behind its going to be stressful to catch up even if its easy work and also means if I need to take a day off for something in future I can't really do it.

So I am debating dropping out now and doing a course in Jan at local college (this one was further away but much better college) or doing a evening class at local university to get access to facilities as well as student union.

So go to class now and arrive a hour before end of 1st lecture, then afternoon as usual, or drop out totally?

Aw no! Don't drop out :frown:
If you're missing as many as you've made it out to be then there's no point going. You won't know what's going on and won't pay attention. However that doesn't mean drop out.

At my uni, lecture notes are really detailed and 10x more helpful than going to actual lectures. You can cover a 50 min lecture in about 15 mins with them. Maybe that's the same where you are. If you're really behind then spend loads of time reading those.
Reply 3
The lecturer did say just read notes online as everything is available there but the course itself is media based so need to use cameras in class and work in teams.

The main issue for me is its 2 x 3 hour lectures a day, 3 days a week so if it was a mix of 1 and 2 hour lectures and more modules I could miss a 9am class either down to sleeping in, or feeling rough and attend the 10am one knowing I haven't missed much which back on my old courses years ago happened i.e it was 9.30-4.30 5 days a week so now and again I skived if had other things to do or missed first class if I slept in.
The lecturer did say just read notes online as everything is available there but the course itself is media based so need to use cameras in class and work in teams.

The main issue for me is its 2 x 3 hour lectures a day, 3 days a week so if it was a mix of 1 and 2 hour lectures and more modules I could miss a 9am class either down to sleeping in, or feeling rough and attend the 10am one knowing I haven't missed much which back on my old courses years ago happened i.e it was 9.30-4.30 5 days a week so now and again I skived if had other things to do or missed first class if I slept in.

Reading all this makes me think you have some issues around commitment and stickability. To miss 9am lectures because you've 'slept in' or 'feel rough' really isn't good enough, is it? You also mention that you skive 'now and again' if you had other things to do. The course should be your primary concern and other things get fitted around it, not the other way round.

I think you need to be realistic with yourself and ask whether you're really cut out for the hard work and commitment it would take to be successful .
(edited 7 years ago)
Use an alarm to wake up?
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Reading all this makes me think you have some issues around commitment and stickability. To miss 9am lectures because you've 'slept in' or 'feel rough' really isn't good enough, is it? You also mention that you skive 'now and again' if you had other things to do. The course should be your primary concern and other things get fitted around it, not the other way round.

I think you need to be realistic with yourself and ask whether you're really cut out for the hard work and commitment it would take to be successful .

Actually for your information I have disability and mental health issues, I had enough commitment and hard work for when I first left home to get top of the class in both courses I left because I felt overwhelmed, the 2nd time I attempted college was shortly after a family member was murdered and I ended up having a bi polar flatmate and drug dealing neighbour, I still stuck it out for almost 8 months and got good grades.

Each time I worked in jobs in the meantime I was going above and beyond and even written letters saying I was one of top employees and considering there was hundreds of staff at the jobs I did says a lot.

When I said I skived I haven't done it since the original time I went to college, I did it if I slept in and knew I would be late and rather than deal with lecturer questioning me and putting me on spot I just didn't turn up, or if I knew it was a Friday lunchtime and I had a 1 hour lecture in afternoon and it was pay day and I was up to date with work I would skip that lecture.

I think you are putting yourself on the high ground there when I was turning up for classes feeling ill including when I was told by the doctor I was signed off as didn't want to miss anything, the difference now is that I am suffering from mental health issues due to years of stress so the fact I can get out of bed is amazing, how would you deal with a family member being murdered? Accusations of being in gangs (as family on benefits) and being the ones who murdered them? Then having a bipolar flatmate, drug deaing neighbour, identity theft costing you over 10 grand, then a schizophrenic flatmate and another who had 24/7 parties and thats only a few things I have experienced.

I suggest you get some training in mental health issues, you don't understand that I feel so rough in morning because of that and its nothing to do with commitment.
Actually for your information I have disability and mental health issues, I had enough commitment and hard work for when I first left home to get top of the class in both courses I left because I felt overwhelmed, the 2nd time I attempted college was shortly after a family member was murdered and I ended up having a bi polar flatmate and drug dealing neighbour, I still stuck it out for almost 8 months and got good grades.

Each time I worked in jobs in the meantime I was going above and beyond and even written letters saying I was one of top employees and considering there was hundreds of staff at the jobs I did says a lot.

When I said I skived I haven't done it since the original time I went to college, I did it if I slept in and knew I would be late and rather than deal with lecturer questioning me and putting me on spot I just didn't turn up, or if I knew it was a Friday lunchtime and I had a 1 hour lecture in afternoon and it was pay day and I was up to date with work I would skip that lecture.

I think you are putting yourself on the high ground there when I was turning up for classes feeling ill including when I was told by the doctor I was signed off as didn't want to miss anything, the difference now is that I am suffering from mental health issues due to years of stress so the fact I can get out of bed is amazing, how would you deal with a family member being murdered? Accusations of being in gangs (as family on benefits) and being the ones who murdered them? Then having a bipolar flatmate, drug deaing neighbour, identity theft costing you over 10 grand, then a schizophrenic flatmate and another who had 24/7 parties and thats only a few things I have experienced.

I suggest you get some training in mental health issues, you don't understand that I feel so rough in morning because of that and its nothing to do with commitment.

I suggest that next time you post something asking for help you give all the relevant information to start with, rather than wasting people's time who are trying to help you by omitting the salient details! There seems to be a good deal of sob story in each of these posts which in the end isn't going to get you the qualification, regardless of how valid or relevant it is to you. That's not being harsh, but it's the reality of the situation. If your mental health/finances/flatmates/celings are such that you cannot realistically study in the required manner then that's that!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I suggest that next time you post something asking for help you give all the relevant information to start with, rather than wasting people's time who are trying to help you by omitting the salient details! There seems to be a good deal of sob story in each of these posts which in the end isn't going to get you the qualification, regardless of how valid or relevant it is to you. That's not being harsh, but it's the reality of the situation. If your mental health/finances/flatmates/celings are such that you cannot realistically study in the required manner then that's that!

From reading your other posts I think you should change your name to "captain obvious" you love to state basic facts I assume in order to make yourself seem the voice of intelligence when in fact you know little.

If I posted things at first people would of judged based on that, if I left them out people can give a judgement based on that.

Maybe you are the one that needs the reality check by living in the real world.
From reading your other posts I think you should change your name to "captain obvious" you love to state basic facts I assume in order to make yourself seem the voice of intelligence when in fact you know little.

If I posted things at first people would of judged based on that, if I left them out people can give a judgement based on that.

Maybe you are the one that needs the reality check by living in the real world.

"Captain Obvious" has been trademarked, but thanks for the suggestion.

I think I know enough to be able to state that you won't be getting this qualification with your current attitude to work - it's not affecting anyone other than you, after all. Goodbye.
Reply 10
"Captain Obvious" has been trademarked, but thanks for the suggestion.

I think I know enough to be able to state that you won't be getting this qualification with your current attitude to work, but you've probably got some offensive response to that so continue with your delusion - it's not affecting anyone other than you, after all. Goodbye.

Offensive? You are the one that comes across as trolling or taking the moral high ground.
If you really still want to do this I would recommend a distance learning degree from an accredited institution. That way you can drop out as many times as you'd like (you've dropped out FOUR times already judging by what's on your original post) and then start again without worrying about classes- because there are NO classes. You'd have 15 years to complete a degree which is 5 times what's normal... It seems this will be your only option, otherwise you will join and drop classes in perpetuity with nothing to show for it or to latch onto which will waste time, money and your energy.
Reply 12
Original post by MasterJack
If you really still want to do this I would recommend a distance learning degree from an accredited institution. That way you can drop out as many times as you'd like (you've dropped out FOUR times already judging by what's on your original post) and then start again without worrying about classes- because there are NO classes. You'd have 15 years to complete a degree which is 5 times what's normal... It seems this will be your only option, otherwise you will join and drop classes in perpetuity with nothing to show for it or to latch onto which will waste time, money and your energy.

I wouldn't mind OU but I would like to be able to go to student union and interact with other students and use facilities.
I wouldn't mind OU but I would like to be able to go to student union and interact with other students and use facilities.

You're going to have to be realistic here and consider that when the chances were provided to you, you dropped out 4 times (although some of them not your fault). You had nothing to show for it, you lost precious years of your life and it's possible that your confidence has also taken a massive hit from this. You haven't told us if your mental problems have been addressed yet or not. If they haven't been addressed, it's possible you will experience the same problems, drop out and have your condition aggravated even further.

The student union is overrated, the interaction with other students is also overrated (except for study group- but I find I learn a LOT faster as an independent learner than with other students). If anything, being an independent learner is an ego booster which may be useful if you need some confidence boosting (it may even take it too far).

You could get very far, but doing so really means you have to be honest and realistic with yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest