The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noodlzzz
Yes. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain if you're in a job that makes you miserable.

I currently work in a gambling establishment and my dad is very good friends with the manager, he essentially helped me get the job even though I really didn't want it. It doesn't challenge me enough, the hours are horrible for someone trying to make some sort of social life as its always late night and I'm not exactly someone who goes out late afterwards. And worst of all the people. Theres so many drunks, druggies, homeless and just general horrible people.*

Am I wrong for leaving even if my dad is good friends with the manager? *
Original post by Malevolent
I currently work in a gambling establishment and my dad is very good friends with the manager, he essentially helped me get the job even though I really didn't want it. It doesn't challenge me enough, the hours are horrible for someone trying to make some sort of social life as its always late night and I'm not exactly someone who goes out late afterwards. And worst of all the people. Theres so many drunks, druggies, homeless and just general horrible people.*

Am I wrong for leaving even if my dad is good friends with the manager? *

If it makes you unhappy then hopefully both your dad and manager will understand. Even if they don't it's not wrong at all to want and make changes to be happy, especially for mental health purposes.
If it makes you unhappy then hopefully both your dad and manager will understand. Even if they don't it's not wrong at all to want and make changes to be happy, especially for mental health purposes.

My dad has never really understood my mental health.

* I feel with the apple job looking at reviews of it and the kind of people they hire, I have a higher chance of making friends and having more sociable hours and doing something I enjoy. Do you think I'm wrong for thinking that? :sad:*
* I feel with the apple job looking at reviews of it and the kind of people they hire, I have a higher chance of making friends and having more sociable hours and doing something I enjoy. Do you think I'm wrong for thinking that? :sad:*

Not in the slightest :nah: Nothing wrong with wanting a better life and better job satisfaction/stimulation imho :nah:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not in the slightest :nah: Nothing wrong with wanting a better life and better job satisfaction/stimulation imho :nah:

Do you think i'm wrong for thinking that the apple job would be a better match for me than a gambling establishment?
Do you think i'm wrong for thinking that the apple job would be a better match for me than a gambling establishment?

Not in the slightest. Just go for it! You'll live to regret it otherwise :yep:
Not in the slightest. Just go for it! You'll live to regret it otherwise :yep:

Thank you. I told one of my co-workers who I have managed to become friends with and he told me the exact same thing that if it was him he would go for it or he would regret it.

I just feel awful cause I feel pressure from my dad being friends with my boss.*
Thank you. I told one of my co-workers who I have managed to become friends with and he told me the exact same thing that if it was him he would go for it or he would regret it.

I just feel awful cause I feel pressure from my dad being friends with my boss.*

Don't feel bad. It was nice of your dad's friend to give you this opportunity but no reasonable person would expect you to stay in one job forever, just out of loyalty :nah:
Don't feel bad. It was nice of your dad's friend to give you this opportunity but no reasonable person would expect you to stay in one job forever, just out of loyalty :nah:

Even if i've been there for 2 months? My dad says its just because you're new but it isn't I don't think. The work just isn't for me and I've basically learnt everything in a month and a half.*

I really feel thankful he gave me the chance for a job but if it makes me unhappy I don't think I can keep going with it. *
Even if i've been there for 2 months? My dad says its just because you're new but it isn't I don't think. The work just isn't for me and I've basically learnt everything in a month and a half.*

I really feel thankful he gave me the chance for a job but if it makes me unhappy I don't think I can keep going with it. *

I understand why you feel so anxious but you're overthinking it. You're a bright and ambitious person and you want a better, more fulfilling job. Some people will call you and I snobs for that, but I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with being ambitious and having high(er) standards :nah:
I understand why you feel so anxious but you're overthinking it. You're a bright and ambitious person and you want a better, more fulfilling job. Some people will call you and I snobs for that, but I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with being ambitious and having high(er) standards :nah:

Thank you so much. Its not that I don't respect the job its just I want something more challenging and more for me which I don't think is a wrong thing to want :smile:
Thank you so much. Its not that I don't respect the job its just I want something more challenging and more for me which I don't think is a wrong thing to want :smile:

Exactly :yep:
Exactly :yep:

Yeah I've decided I'm going to go for it. If I don't I'll regret it i think. I'm not giving up the job unless I know that I have it lined up.
Yeah I've decided I'm going to go for it. If I don't I'll regret it i think. I'm not giving up the job unless I know that I have it lined up.

Good for you!
Good for you!

Thank you both for your advice. Been freaking out about it and worried as hell about what to do!
On Friday I have been asked to make a separate thread for media portrayals of OCD and how they are often misrepresenting OCD as nothing more than someone who is picky or neat. I have a few examples of such characters from various shows and movies but if anyone could recommend me any forms of OCD they have seen in the media, both correct and incorrect interpretations, that would be most appreciated :yep:
Maybe not relevant but I remember at college years ago people saying Monica from friends suffered from OCD as she had the usual as you stay idea of being neat and picky.
Good luck to both! :grouphugs:

Original post by Cinnie
Good luck :hugs:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes :hugs:

Thanks guys! It went okay, they just wanted to catch up with me and see how things were going. He didn't really listen when I said I was struggling though, but I had to leave anyway. Hopefully it gets addressed in my SpLD assessment, although there's still no news on when that might be

@Noodlzzz good luck to you tomorrow :hugs:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Thanks guys! It went okay, they just wanted to catch up with me and see how things were going. He didn't really listen when I said I was struggling though, but I had to leave anyway. Hopefully it gets addressed in my SpLD assessment, although there's still no news on when that might be

@Noodlzzz good luck to you tomorrow :hugs:

Glad it went ok! Maybe a follow up email describing how you're feeling?

My new CPN has postponed until Friday :frown: But still have GP tomorrow. Just feel nervous about meeting new professionals and explaining all over again my situation and how yes, I am studying clinical psychology, and yes, I do have schizophrenia too :sigh:*
Just saw my counselor. She was like "well, maybe this isn't the right course for you. You don't get extra time as a police officer, nor do you get it as a nurse."

I don't know how I feel about this, I can see she's right obviously, and I've done this stupid class 3 times now, but it's the death of yet another dream and makes me feel like a complete failure. :sad:

Latest