The Student Room Group

Just Another Long Journey To A*A*A*A*

Hello all,

Naruke here and I'll be striving to achieve A*A*A*A* in the A-levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. I'll be using this thread to track my revision and motivate myself.

Background:

GCSEs: A*A*BBBCCC (very mediocre :unimpressed:)
AS: AA in Maths and Further maths. 94 UMS in C1 and 100 in every other module. Due to A-level reforms, my school didn't see the point in entering us for AS exams twice and therefore I didn't sit AS exams for Physics and Computer Science.

Goals:

I have many goals I'd like to accomplish during the next 8 months. The most obvious goal being to achieve A*A*A*A*... I would also like to sit for STEP in June and achieve 1,1. However, I don't intend on applying to Cambridge this year, I'll be taking a gap year and enhancing my application.

How I'll be using this thread:

Every Monday morning, I'll be making a list of the things that I aim to complete in that week. I'll then be updating this thread daily with what I've accomplished. I also request that anyone who frequently visits my thread, if you see me going going inactive, feel free to tell me to stop being lazy :tongue:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Week 1:

Revisit the C3 Trig and Differentiation chapters and solve the textbook questions.

Complete the Forces and Motion chapter for Physics.

Improve my Python programming skills.

Complete notes for Fundamentals of data representation. - Computer Science.

Reply 2
Monday - 10/10/16

Monday was a good day. Getting back into my old habit of waking up at 5am and then getting to school by 7am, so that I have a good two hours to work. I had only 1 lesson that day which was M1, I'm extremely behind in M1. However, I'm not that worried as I haven't actually been working on it at home. Hopefully, by the time January mocks come around, I would have completed this module. Besides that, I finished off the Vectors chapter in Physics and made a start to Forces and Motion. I've also been reading up more about Trigonometry, I'm really trying to deepen my understanding of this topic.
Bit of advice from a 5A* STEM girl- treat yourself! with a demanding workload like this, you need to maintain a good work-life balance. Try to engage in brainless social activities (watching movies with your friends and the like) at least once a week to give yourself time to charge the batteries! :smile: Other than that, good luck!
You wake up at 5am? :eek: What time do you go to sleep each night?
I should start waking up earlier tbf.
Good luck btw!!
Original post by Naruke
Hello all,

Naruke here and I'll be striving to achieve A*A*A*A* in the A-levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. I'll be using this thread to track my revision and motivate myself.

Background:

GCSEs: A*A*BBBCCC (very mediocre :unimpressed:)
AS: AA in Maths and Further maths. 94 UMS in C1 and 100 in every other module. Due to A-level reforms, my school didn't see the point in entering us for AS exams twice and therefore I didn't sit AS exams for Physics and Computer Science.

Goals:

I have many goals I'd like to accomplish during the next 8 months. The most obvious goal being to achieve A*A*A*A*... I would also like to sit for STEP in June and achieve 1,1. However, I don't intend on applying to Cambridge this year, I'll be taking a gap year and enhancing my application.

How I'll be using this thread:

Every Monday morning, I'll be making a list of the things that I aim to complete in that week. I'll then be updating this thread daily with what I've accomplished. I also request that anyone who frequently visits my thread, if you see me going going inactive, feel free to tell me to stop being lazy :tongue:.

Amazing improvements! Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Diraculous
Bit of advice from a 5A* STEM girl- treat yourself! with a demanding workload like this, you need to maintain a good work-life balance. Try to engage in brainless social activities (watching movies with your friends and the like) at least once a week to give yourself time to charge the batteries! :smile: Other than that, good luck!

Totally agree! My son at AS: 5 x A and he took an A2 a year early A*. He runs 3 x a week. Sees friends once a week. Plays in goal at school. Predicted with the A* he has banked: A* A* A* A. You will burn out if you carry on like that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Diraculous

Thanks for the advice. Although I did quite well last year, I do feel I burned out.
Reply 8
Original post by jessyjellytot14
You wake up at 5am? :eek: What time do you go to sleep each night?
I should start waking up earlier tbf.
Good luck btw!!

I try to go to sleep at 11pm

But in reality, I usually fall asleep at 1am. Yes I know very bad for my health :colonhash:
Reply 9
Will update for today in the morning

Tuesday - 11/10/16

Again an enjoyable day. Managed to get in at 7 again. Made a start to C3 trigonometry exercise questions, to be fair, I've solved most of the questions before. It's just I don't feel extremely confident with the topic, so I'm redoing them. I managed to complete 1 exercise. Physics is also going well in terms of understanding. However, I do think I'm going to have to speed up, if I want to learn two years worth of content in one year. Although my subjects are going well, my relationships with my teachers are not the best. For example, my Computer Science teacher asked why I haven't been attending class, I was very honest and told him his teaching is poor and I'd rather kill myself then waste my time in his lesson. Although this was probably out of order, it's the truth. Out of 15 students in AS computer science last year, 14 people got Us and 1 person got a D.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply