The Student Room Group

smear test results...

so about 12 months ago I had my regular smear test and it came back that there were 'minor changes' so I needed to get another smear test in 6 months time. I tried not to worry about this. i had my second test about 6 weeks ago and have just gotten the results (was told it would take 2 weeks but it took longer, same as the first time when the results were bad..) and it says I now have major changes that require 'further investigation'.. and have to go to hospital for a colposcopy which I'm pretty scared about.

Before my smear test ~12 months ago I had heavy bleeding from down below, I was showering and it was proper blood, not period blood, and it was really scary. I just wore a pad and hoped it would go away, which it did. I had been experiencing stomach pains for a while and went to the doctor, told him about the heavy bleeding and he said it was "probably just my period" (it wasn't). I've been googling about cervical cancer and HPV and its a bit scary. I know I might not have it but its hard not to worry.

I havent told my family and Im going to my hospital appointment alone. I have mainly male friends and they havent really been supportive, i think its cos they dont really understand...

everyone ive spoken to has either not taken me seriously or been like 'im sure its fine/nothing' when it obviously isnt if im going to hospital?!

I guess I just need some reassurance and information and someone to talk to...
Original post by Anonymous
so about 12 months ago I had my regular smear test and it came back that there were 'minor changes' so I needed to get another smear test in 6 months time. I tried not to worry about this. i had my second test about 6 weeks ago and have just gotten the results (was told it would take 2 weeks but it took longer, same as the first time when the results were bad..) and it says I now have major changes that require 'further investigation'.. and have to go to hospital for a colposcopy which I'm pretty scared about.

Before my smear test ~12 months ago I had heavy bleeding from down below, I was showering and it was proper blood, not period blood, and it was really scary. I just wore a pad and hoped it would go away, which it did. I had been experiencing stomach pains for a while and went to the doctor, told him about the heavy bleeding and he said it was "probably just my period" (it wasn't). I've been googling about cervical cancer and HPV and its a bit scary. I know I might not have it but its hard not to worry.

I havent told my family and Im going to my hospital appointment alone. I have mainly male friends and they havent really been supportive, i think its cos they dont really understand...

everyone ive spoken to has either not taken me seriously or been like 'im sure its fine/nothing' when it obviously isnt if im going to hospital?!

I guess I just need some reassurance and information and someone to talk to...

Hey there. I'm going to say what you may not want to hear- don't worry. It's probably not serious.

Yes obviously there is somethinng going on because... well the tests have indicated something. There are loads of things that can mess with your innards though and most of them are actually pretty easy to manage once you know what they are. You will always hear about the really scary stuff more cos that's the biggest risk and people just love scaring people, but chances are it's not that and it's one of the easy things.

I suggest you tell somebody so they can support you with your appointment. Colonoscopies aren't exactly fun and you'll want somebody there for emotional support and to take in information since you'll probably be rather distracted. If you have somebody female you can tell it would probably be better. Maybe mum or sister?

If you are nervous- tell the hospital. Nurses have always been really sweet with me when I tell them i'm worried and you can ask them about any concerns.

Just to let you know that sometimes things aren't what they seem, I had like all the indicators of a rather nasty issue and had surgery to check for it. I was told it was my only option to know for sure and if I had the condition it could affect my ability to have kids. I was pretty certian of it by this point- google said it made sense, my doctor said it made sense, my surgeon thought it made sense. Anyway I have the surgery and am all prepared for bits to be cut out of me. Turns out everyting is perfect down there though and it was just IBS and some slightly odd hormones. Your body can really mess with your head so try not to worry until you have the answers.

Good luck I hope everything goes smoothly. :smile:
Reply 2
Hey there. I'm going to say what you may not want to hear- don't worry. It's probably not serious.

Yes obviously there is somethinng going on because... well the tests have indicated something. There are loads of things that can mess with your innards though and most of them are actually pretty easy to manage once you know what they are. You will always hear about the really scary stuff more cos that's the biggest risk and people just love scaring people, but chances are it's not that and it's one of the easy things.

I suggest you tell somebody so they can support you with your appointment. Colonoscopies aren't exactly fun and you'll want somebody there for emotional support and to take in information since you'll probably be rather distracted. If you have somebody female you can tell it would probably be better. Maybe mum or sister?

If you are nervous- tell the hospital. Nurses have always been really sweet with me when I tell them i'm worried and you can ask them about any concerns.

Just to let you know that sometimes things aren't what they seem, I had like all the indicators of a rather nasty issue and had surgery to check for it. I was told it was my only option to know for sure and if I had the condition it could affect my ability to have kids. I was pretty certian of it by this point- google said it made sense, my doctor said it made sense, my surgeon thought it made sense. Anyway I have the surgery and am all prepared for bits to be cut out of me. Turns out everyting is perfect down there though and it was just IBS and some slightly odd hormones. Your body can really mess with your head so try not to worry until you have the answers.

Good luck I hope everything goes smoothly. :smile:

thanks for your reply. it turned out i had to get a biopsy done and had half my cervix cut off which was really painful and i had heavy bleeding and clots coming out for days. they said ill most likely have HPV....
thanks for your reply. it turned out i had to get a biopsy done and had half my cervix cut off which was really painful and i had heavy bleeding and clots coming out for days. they said ill most likely have HPV....

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through all of that. It sounds terrible. I hope you're feeling a bit better now though. Have they said anything about treatment or long term implications?
I know i'm going to sound so stupid saying this, but try not to worry. Whatever is going to happen will happen regardless of how much you think about it, so try to keep it out of your head until appointments come up and just focus on things that distract or relax you.

Feel free to talk things through with me a bit if you like. I've been through a bit of a scare recently and I know how much it can help just having somebody to talk to.
Reply 4
I'm sorry to hear you had to go through all of that. It sounds terrible. I hope you're feeling a bit better now though. Have they said anything about treatment or long term implications?
I know i'm going to sound so stupid saying this, but try not to worry. Whatever is going to happen will happen regardless of how much you think about it, so try to keep it out of your head until appointments come up and just focus on things that distract or relax you.

Feel free to talk things through with me a bit if you like. I've been through a bit of a scare recently and I know how much it can help just having somebody to talk to.

thanks, i appreciate that, are you okay yourself?

being honest i havent really been told much at all... at the appointment they even said to me 'do you know why you're here?' and i said no?! like no one has said you might have this wrong with you or that, its just been "you need to go to hospital" and thats that haha.

surprisingly ive been able to kind of shrug it off... ive been distracted so thats good but im that way now where i think well whatever results i get, im gonna get, so i will have to deal with it and hopefully get treatment.

Quick Reply

Latest