The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Guys I'm going insane.

I cant decide on which uni's to choose. Can someone please advise based on my stats, before I tear out whats left of my hair...

Biomedical science - 1st class Hons

MSc Oncology - in progress, predicted distinction

UKCAT - 615 :frown:

My poor UKCAT has let me down unfortunately and now Im unsure what to do.

So far I have decided to apply for 1 undergrad thats relatively close to home (for financial reasons) and I have chosen one grad entry. Unfortunately I cannot apply to the likes of Birmingham or Cambridge that don't require entrance exams.

Leicester (undergrad)

St Barts/Queen Mary (grad)

? (grad)

? (grad)

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lostperson
ah I see , yeah makes sense!! are you applying to Kings grad or undergrad?

Grad, I really don't want to pay undergrad fees so Newcastle's the only undergraduate course I'm going for.
Application sent. Bum clenched.
Original post by Tsar101
If you don't mind, do you know what percentage of questions you feel like you got right in S1 and S3 to get 58 overall in the GAMSAT(which is a very good score)? I know it was a long time ago so I'll understand if you don't know.

Its impossible to tell without seeing my marks, which ACER do not release. Its a test of reasoning really and they made it more about that this time around (IMO), I felt they were testing our ability to problem solve with given information more than recall/application of existing knowledge. Who knows, don't worry, focus on being a strong applicant (they will smell the fear on you at interview otherwise).
Original post by Cuts92
Its impossible to tell without seeing my marks, which ACER do not release. Its a test of reasoning really and they made it more about that this time around (IMO), I felt they were testing our ability to problem solve with given information more than recall/application of existing knowledge. Who knows, don't worry, focus on being a strong applicant (they will smell the fear on you at interview otherwise).

Hey do you know how our Gamsat scores work?

So I sat gamsat in March and only got 58 :/
I sat it again in September but I don't know if I've done any better.
But ACER are saying I have to let them know if I want to use the march result :/
But I don't know because I could have done better in September.

Do you have any idea whether universities will automatically look at the better score??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chocoholic20
Hey do you know how our Gamsat scores work?

So I sat gamsat in March and only got 58 :/
I sat it again in September but I don't know if I've done any better.
But ACER are saying I have to let them know if I want to use the march result :/
But I don't know because I could have done better in September.

Do you have any idea whether universities will automatically look at the better score??

Posted from TSR Mobile

58 is what I got last year and that allowed me 2 interviews (SGUL, Notts - I was sick for both of them so no admission for me! :/).
My understanding is that you have to notify UCAS that you have scores that fall within the currency of results (2 years, uni's then use your most favourable mark). UCAS will contact you if they need anything else and if, for whatever reason, the unis don't get both your scores they will help you out with whatever you need.
58 got SGUL and Notts interviews? Being unwell for them must have been so hard! SGUL said 62 on their website right? Though they do the two different averages and take you're highest by my understanding?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cuts92
58 is what I got last year and that allowed me 2 interviews (SGUL, Notts - I was sick for both of them so no admission for me! :/).
My understanding is that you have to notify UCAS that you have scores that fall within the currency of results (2 years, uni's then use your most favourable mark). UCAS will contact you if they need anything else and if, for whatever reason, the unis don't get both your scores they will help you out with whatever you need.

Okay that's great thankyou I'll make sure UCAS know about my March result.

So Nottingham had a cut off of 60 last year does that mean everyone who got that was invited for interview?

I'm so unsure about whether to apply to Notts and SGUL because my score is so borderline :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else having a love/hate relationship with their PS?
This stupid change in Personal ID nearly throws me every year! I can't see why UCAS provide you with 2 different numbers, one during application, and one once it has been submitted. So irritating.

I assume, that the ID number you use for both UKCAT and previous GAMSAT results is the number you receive AFTER you've submitted your application? The new ID number you receive in your first Track email.
Hello

I'm a midwife with 2 years experience, a strong personal statement with lots of clinical experience. Graduated King's College with a 1:1(Hons). UKCAT average 615 with Band 1 in situational judgment.

I am having a last minute panic about my uni choices - faced with the reality that my UKCAT score is not going to cut it!

I was going to apply for : 1. Warwick 2. Barts 3. Southampton 4. Newcastle

Does anyone have any advice? I am considering now applying for the 5 year course also, do you know if any of the uni's would favor someone with my level of experience and overlook a mediocre UKCAT score?

Thank you

Mary
Original post by mm7201
Hello

I'm a midwife with 2 years experience, a strong personal statement with lots of clinical experience. Graduated King's College with a 1:1(Hons). UKCAT average 615 with Band 1 in situational judgment.

I am having a last minute panic about my uni choices - faced with the reality that my UKCAT score is not going to cut it!

Does anyone have any advice? I am considering now applying for the 5 year course also, do you know if any of the uni's would favor someone with my level of experience and overlook a mediocre UKCAT score?

Thank you

Mary

Unfortunately UKCAT is usually the first thing universities will look at for the 4 year course. They will take the top few and interview them before even looking at PS. If financially viable I'd advise applying to the 5 year courses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mm7201
Hello

Thank you

Mary

What are your A level subjects and grades?
Hey guys
I was just wondering if GEM courses are still getting funded the same way for 2017 entry as I have looked online and none of them mention only having to pay so much and they're all saying tuition fees are 9250 so do we have to pay the full amount?
Original post by Marathi
This stupid change in Personal ID nearly throws me every year! I can't see why UCAS provide you with 2 different numbers, one during application, and one once it has been submitted. So irritating.

I assume, that the ID number you use for both UKCAT and previous GAMSAT results is the number you receive AFTER you've submitted your application? The new ID number you receive in your first Track email.

Just had a small heart attack and had to run and double check this! Yeah, it says the one you get in your Track welcome email.
Just submitted my UCAS, now getting on with the BMAT studying. Then planning to write up the Cambridge application from and get another referee lol. (deadline 22nd oct) I actually decided to apply to medicine last minute. So this is *getting really stressful

Anyone studying for BMAT?

Is it realistic to fit all the subject revision in 3-4 weeks i.e. the time left? I am mainly reading all notes first for 2 weeks because i forgot everything despite having a science degree then planning to attempt papers in the last 2 weeks.

Any thoughts....*
Does anyone know which undergrad Med uni's are lenient towards a low ukcat? I mean are there any that focus on GCSEs and ps as well as ukcat and not just ukcat alone? *
Reply 1897
Hi All,
Just need some advice as to where would be best to apply to for graduate entry:
Just graduated with a 1st in Biomedical science
UKCAT score of 717
Not so great A-Levels - BBC

As i have also sat the GAMSAT, im spitting my choices 2 for GAMSAT and 2 for UKCAT.

Any advice would be really helpful!
Original post by MomohJ
Hi All,
Just need some advice as to where would be best to apply to for graduate entry:
Just graduated with a 1st in Biomedical science
UKCAT score of 717
Not so great A-Levels - BBC

As i have also sat the GAMSAT, im spitting my choices 2 for GAMSAT and 2 for UKCAT.

Any advice would be really helpful!

Barts and Warwick.
Original post by Ama2007
Just submitted my UCAS, now getting on with the BMAT studying. Then planning to write up the Cambridge application from and get another referee lol. (deadline 22nd oct) I actually decided to apply to medicine last minute. So this is *getting really stressful

Anyone studying for BMAT?

Is it realistic to fit all the subject revision in 3-4 weeks i.e. the time left? I am mainly reading all notes first for 2 weeks because i forgot everything despite having a science degree then planning to attempt papers in the last 2 weeks.

Any thoughts....*

im fitting in all my BMAT from tomo too!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending