The Student Room Group

There is little enthusiasm for Brexit

So contrary to the leave campaigns visions of street parties and national celebration following a massive victory for leave it didn't happen.

So if Brexit was so great, then where were the street parties and national celebrations, an Independence Day for Britain? Very low key if that, and enthusiasm for Brexit is declining rapidly.

It wasn't a massive victory either only a pathetic 4% majority, many of whom decided to vote leave on the day having been fed lies about immigration etc but having never thought it through.

Now a lot of Brexit voters regret their decision.

The pound is falling in value. Cost of petrol is going up. Cost of living and consumer goods set to cost more. We all remember the horror of the 2008 recession and misery of the last 6 years of austerity, then things were getting better in 2015-2016 our fragile economy improving. Now Brexit has smashed that recovery.

At one time £1 would get 1euro and 30 cents now £1 is worth around 88cents in some places!
University EU funding will cease. A lot of EU funded FE courses, appretiships etc will be gone and sadly it's those affected by this 16 year olds who weren't even given the bloody chance to vote presumably for fear they'd vote to stay.

Also the days of bringing back generous supplies of cheap booze from Europe are over it'll soon be 1 lire of spirits max, another kick in the teeth for the hard working poor looking for a bargain.

So if there wasn't a lot of pomp and circumstance on June 23rd there's not gonna be much more over the coming months more like a lot of grief and anger. Because enthusiasm to leave the EU is dying rapidly. It's probably got less support than the illegal invasion of Iraq but like that sadly its something that's gonna happen and is rapidly losing its support.

Don't expect any waving of the Union Jack or St George's cross, we won't be partying and those who wanted Brexit...your ears will be burning, don't expect to feel comfortable in the false belief that this is any celebration, feel the guilt as jobs are lost, as opportunities for the young are snuffed out, enjoy paying more for your petrol and food. That the Scottish now have a lot more reason to despise the English having been taken out of the EU when most wanted to stay. What a sorry miserable mess this has become.

Of course it need not be like that, May could see this lack of enthusiasm and call a second referendum, or a general election or damn well resign.

Brexit means Brexit? To most of us it means jack s***
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh get over it. It's happening, move on.
the reality is coming soon... £`1.20 a litre petrol ... the manmade garments of the Brexiteers will soar in price as their petrochemical raw materials become more expensive.
Original post by Ambitious1999
So contrary to the leave campaigns visions of street parties and national celebration following a massive victory for leave it didn't happen.

It wasn't a massive victory only a pathetic 4% majority, many of whom decided to vote leave on the day having been fed lies about immigration etc but having never thought it through.

Now a lot of Brexit voters regret their decision.

The pound is falling in value. Cost of petrol is going up. Cost of living and consumer goods set to cost more. We all remember the horror of the 2008 recession and misery of the last 6 years of austerity, then things were getting better in 2015-2016 our fragile economy improving. Now Brexit has smashed that recovery.

At one time £1 would get 1euro and 30 cents now £1 is worth around 88cents in some places!
University EU funding will cease. A lot of EU funded FE courses, appretiships etc will be gone and sadly it's those affected by this 16 year olds who weren't even given the bloody chance to vote presumably for fear they'd vote to stay.

Also the days of bringing back generous supplies of cheap booze from Europe are over it'll soon be 1 lire of spirits max, another kick in the teeth for the hard working poor looking for a bargain.

So if there wasn't a lot of pomp and circumstance on June 23rd there's not gonna be much more over the coming months more like a lot of grief and anger. Because enthusiasm to leave the EU is dying rapidly. It's probably got less support than the illegal invasion of Iraq but like that sadly its something that's gonna happen and is rapidly losing its support.

Don't expect any waving of the Union Jack or St George's cross, we won't be partying and those who wanted Brexit...your ears will be burning, don't expect to feel comfortable in the false belief that this is any celebration, feel the guilt as jobs are lost, as opportunities for the young are snuffed out, enjoy paying more for your petrol and food. That the Scottish now have a lot more reason to despise the English having been taken out of the EU when most wanted to stay. What a sorry miserable mess this has become.

Of course it need not be like that, May could see this lack of enthusiasm and call a second referendum, or a general election or damn well resign.

Brexit means Brexit? To most of us it means jack s***

Nice to see that positive attitude and good old fashioned British pragmatism. We are where we are. So let's quit the moaning and get on making the best of what we've been given.
Original post by ed98

But why should we? All for the sake of a tiny 4% majority. A vote based off lies about immigration, xenophobia and bigotry that if anything amounts to electoral fraud which in itself should be enough to void the result.

Add to that the fact a lot of leave voters now regret their decision. Get real the support for Bexit is falling. Why should we be put through the misery of something increasing fewer people want?

At the very least give people a second chance.

Another issue is a lot of us couldn't even vote, yet its our lives and careers that will be most affected by leaving the EU! It's our courses that will loose funding, it's our job opportunities that will be lost.
Is it right that many who were allowed to vote Brexit were retired and will not suffer like the millions of under 18 year olds who are affected?
are you *requiring* a brexit street party in order to have confidence that brexit will actually happen?
there wasn't a tory street party victory in 2015 - yet here we are with the tories in government...?
so much for your parties-make-power logic
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6

Spoiler

First of all people like you seem to constantly preach that 4% was a tiny minority. No it wasn't. 1.3 million people is not "tiny".

Secondly if young people care so much about the EU why didn't they bother to vote? Only 36% of young people voted, and that is only those who were registered to vote, so that actual figure is much lower. What makes you think 16 - 17 year olds would have been any different? Not that I think they should be allowed to vote (and even if they had been leave would still have won).

The rhetoric that the majority of Brexiters regret their choice is also absurd. Yes a minority of leavers might but this still wouldn't change the outcome. Also what about those who voted remain out of fear of economic turmoil or Osbornes "punishment budget". Might they now switch to the leave side now that none of this has actually transpired?
Reply 7
You have uniquely described something. We need to value the choice of this risk everyone has preordained for a call. I may honor one support for every contribution we make here fall in the recognition that equally stabilize one important question.

Can we only oversee doubts for a time horizon where success of every provision on each chapter of this unique referendum for the people of our global village just mean the right type to identify the best for all evaluations before us than making a help in the most practical way to organize a situation today where all the characteristics modest agile turnover in a view that the various phases of this gross happiness quotient for our entire community make it possible to meet us emotionally an association for all than disintegrating what we have today only in terms of the financial unseen maturity so that finally what happens from all sources of our society sell here the key requirement of why we actually needed Brexit for the one united kingdom where the sun never sets ?

Please seek this necessity directly for all your directions in organizing one Europe trading with the world outside describing a nation where my angels in the city I live describe each one of this for what attracts you here always.
It's definitely interesting how the actual vote had passions running very high on both sides but now it's been a while most are more like "eh okay". Even the pound crashing like hell has only really gotten an "oh dear" from the general population, unlike the "OHOLY **** NO" we got when the pound first dipped straight after the result was announced.
16 year olds who weren't even given the bloody chance to vote presumably for fear they'd vote to stay.

This point makes no sense. A majority of MPs and cabinet ministers were in favour of staying, so if they wanted to push a particular outcome they'd have given 16 year olds the vote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35616946
Original post by ed98

This is a great example of what OP is saying. Instead of celebrating their victory, it seems that leave voters spend all their time sneering bitterly on the internet.

Brexit was always about angry, miserable little people trying to drag everyone else down to their level.
Because I think anyone reasonable who voted leave has realised they are not going to get (e.g. money for NHS, points system) what they wanted.

There's nothing to be enthused about. Quite frankly we let the British population make a decision that they were completely incapable of making because they're led by dumb promises for morons like Farage and Johnson, and the result is now dawning.
Reply 11
Original post by JordanL_
This is a great example of what OP is saying. Instead of celebrating their victory, it seems that leave voters spend all their time sneering bitterly on the internet.

Brexit was always about angry, miserable little people trying to drag everyone else down to their level.

Never said I voted for Brexit. I just meant we need to make the best out of the situation we are in.

People from both sides have not been particularly mature online. As you say some Brexit voters have acted incredibly smug and snide online.

At the same time I've noticed a fair share of remain voters acting sulky and refusing to accept the democratic will of the people. It's the classic "I love democracy but only when I get my own way" rhetoric.
(edited 7 years ago)
There is no evidence for support for leave supposedly dropping rapidly or leave voters regretting their vote at all. It's just pure speculation based on anecdotes.
Original post by Inexorably
Because I think anyone reasonable who voted leave has realised they are not going to get (e.g. money for NHS, points system) what they wanted.

There's nothing to be enthused about. Quite frankly we let the British population make a decision that they were completely incapable of making because they're led by dumb promises for morons like Farage and Johnson, and the result is now dawning.

It isnt the peoples fault, nor the fault of referenda in general that politicians are lying scumbags.

Funny, because now the angry, miserable people are the Remainers.

Do you guys complain when you lose a general election, too?
But why should we? All for the sake of a tiny 4% majority. A vote based off lies about immigration, xenophobia and bigotry that if anything amounts to electoral fraud which in itself should be enough to void the result.

Add to that the fact a lot of leave voters now regret their decision. Get real the support for Bexit is falling. Why should we be put through the misery of something increasing fewer people want?

At the very least give people a second chance.

Another issue is a lot of us couldn't even vote, yet its our lives and careers that will be most affected by leaving the EU! It's our courses that will loose funding, it's our job opportunities that will be lost.
Is it right that many who were allowed to vote Brexit were retired and will not suffer like the millions of under 18 year olds who are affected?

Why should we?

The people voted it's called democracy

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a sneering and supercilious attitude towards people who voted differently from you. Who do you think you are!
Give me a B!

Give me an R!

Give me an E!

Give me an X!

Give me an I!

Give me a T!

Goooooooo BREXIT!!!
Original post by paul514
Why should we?

The people voted it's called democracy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Democracy is only democracy is people are given honest facts before voting it can't be based on lies and misleading information.

If they had elections in North Korea the electorate would be fed lies such as saying the sky would fall in if people didn't vote for Kim Jong Un and that Kim Jong Un is god. The result is everyone would vote for Kim based off those lies and that is not democracy.

Lies and inaccurate incomplete information to win votes is paramount to electoral fraud. Such as including fee paying foreign students on student visas as immigrants to make immigration numbers look higher than what they actually are was used by the Brexit campaign.
(edited 7 years ago)
>tfw your legitimate point about how something OP said was bs is completely ignored in favour of having arguments with people who haven't actually made any form of proper refutation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending