The Student Room Group

Failing aqa a level biology

Plz can someone tell me how they revise for aqa a level biology. i got an E last year at AS but i need a C to be accepted in uni.
I have had several students who actually hated biology initially, but within 6-8 weeks of help from me, began adoring it and therefore doing brilliantly - it's a Q of how you approach it - might sound tough, but don't look at it as a fat book to memorize; learn to derive facts from everyday items.e.g. compare the internal environment of the human body to a room in your house - keep it simple: in a room, take an object, say you have ten apples - how can that no. of apples change? work it out: the no of apples can decrease ONLY if (a) you eat (get rid of) one or two, [or 3, if you are fit like me!! - make biology fun, too] b) you buy less extra ones OR c) you throw some out of the window [mum won't be too happy if you do that!] - there are NO OTHER WAYS in which the no of apples can decrease! - Right? SAME WAY: Biology Q: How can you get anaemia (= low haemoglobin [Hb] in the blood? OK - (a). Like apples being eaten, something destroys the Hb = haemolytic (heam = blood; lysis = breakdown) anaemia e.g. in malaria, the parasite enters erythrocytes (red blood cells [eryth]) and makes them burst.(b) Like less apples being bought, less Hb might be produced (brought in) = aplastic anaemia = less Hb produced in the bone marrow of long bones [e.g.femur] e.g. some medicines can have this side effect e.g. phenylbutazone [banned some years ago] for epilepsy.(c) like losing apples out of window, Hb lost out of body = anaemia due to blood loss out of body e. g. EXTERNAL: after severe injury or INTERNAL: bleeding gastric (=of stomach) ulcer.SEE: easy peasy, lemon squeezy ONLY three main types of anaemia! And you worked out all 3!Also use association and Greek roots - so so interesting (so fun, as you youngsters say!): we said above lysis = breakdown: - THINK where else have you heard this syllable? YES correct: lysosome in cell, yeah? Why is it called lysosome? Because it lyses (breaks down, makes sense?) waste e.g. phagocytosed (phago = swallow, take in) bacteria in leucocytes (leuco = white; cyto = cell therefore white cells).

EXAMS: SHORT ANSWERS EXACTLY TO THE POINT: KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Good Luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Sabby786
Plz can someone tell me how they revise for aqa a level biology. i got an E last year at AS but i need a C to be accepted in uni.

Hey there!

There are multiple ways to do that. First you should make sure that you know all the important concepts/topics and then you should know how to apply those concepts in the papers. So practice past papers as well. I was going through the same issue as you're going through but took help from a website which helped me score an A. I'm sending their link in inbox so you could have a look. Best of luck!
Original post by a_azam
Hey there!

There are multiple ways to do that. First you should make sure that you know all the important concepts/topics and then you should know how to apply those concepts in the papers. So practice past papers as well. I was going through the same issue as you're going through but took help from a website which helped me score an A. I'm sending their link in inbox so you could have a look. Best of luck!

Can i ask you what website you used because you haven't sent me any thing... Also what was your exam board. mine is AQA
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending