The Student Room Group

TSR Supporters Society

Welcome to the brand new TSR Supporters Society :smile:

This thread is for anyone that supports or cares for a close friend, partner or family member with a health condition or disability. Whether you’re the main carer or not this can have a huge impact on family life and life in general, as well as what opportunities you feel you have. In here you can come for a moan, share stories, ask advice or generally talk to other people who’ve been or still are in a similar situation to you. Whilst the information below is mostly aimed at carers in the traditional sense of the word, anyone is welcome and hopefully some will be relevant to other supporters too!

The most common reason for carers not getting the right support is people not believing they count or what they do is just their responsibility- this is not true and there will always be something out there that could make life easier. If you're not sure for either you or someone you know read below or have a look online. Feel free to ask questions too!

What is a carer?

What support might I be able to get?

Can my school or university help me?

How do I balance my own life with caring responsibilities?

Where can I talk about what's going on?

If there's anything anyone would like adding to or linking from here let me know! Please note you can post anonymously in this thread :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
:bump:

This is so brilliant and will help so many people!
Great thread! I currently care part-time for my younger brother with mental health issues, although it used to be full time. It'll be interesting to hear other people's experiences! I've never met someone else with similar responsibilities before :h:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Great thread! I currently care part-time for my younger brother with mental health issues, although it used to be full time. It'll be interesting to hear other people's experiences! I've never met someone else with similar responsibilities before :h:

Yeah, hopefully we'll get some good replies! Having people to talk to who've been in similar situations can make a huge difference, or just anyone at all really. What do you think has helped you most to cope with caring for your brother?
Original post by furryface12
Yeah, hopefully we'll get some good replies! Having people to talk to who've been in similar situations can make a huge difference, or just anyone at all really. What do you think has helped you most to cope with caring for your brother?

Understanding from college has been really important. I didn't get any help at school, but college are very understanding that sometimes I just can't get as much done as I'd like. They'll extend deadlines for me, and I have access to a counselling service as well
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Understanding from college has been really important. I didn't get any help at school, but college are very understanding that sometimes I just can't get as much done as I'd like. They'll extend deadlines for me, and I have access to a counselling service as well

Yeah that can make a huge difference. In general colleges and unis are beginning to become a bit more understanding and accommodating of different health issues as awareness is raised (although you and I both know this doesn't always happen!) but I do feel like carers kind of fall through the cracks a lot of the time and financially an even bigger sense. Glad yours have been so good with it!
Original post by furryface12
Yeah that can make a huge difference. In general colleges and unis are beginning to become a bit more understanding and accommodating of different health issues as awareness is raised (although you and I both know this doesn't always happen!) but I do feel like carers kind of fall through the cracks a lot of the time and financially an even bigger sense. Glad yours have been so good with it!

Yeah, definitely. I think my experience has kind of been the opposite of a lot of people's in a sense, because I get no financial support or help from the local authority whereas college are understanding, and it's the other way around for a lot of people. Social services etc kept offering me really great things, but it all fell through every time so I've never seen any of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending