The Student Room Group

My teacher won't predict me an A. Feeling dejected and like my dreams have been crush

My predicted grades are A*AB. I want to apply for Oxford, Nottingham, Warwick and Nottingham, all of which require AAA.

I got a B in my Geography AS (4 UMS off of an A) and my teacher will not give me a target grade A because she says I am away from lesson too much (I have missed 3 lessons this year due to medical reasons). I told her that I always catch up on the work but she said this is not good enough as being in lesson. I then told her that I need these grades to apply for university, and she told me that she won't be pressured into lying to UCAS because she does not think I can get the A. The thing I don't understand that if my attendance was such a huge and pertinent issue, why do my other subjects have no problem predicting me A, and even above?

I'm feeling really heartbroken and dejected because this means I will have to avoid applying for university this year, and wait until the next when I have my grades. I'm worried Oxford don't look favourably upon gap years (even though it's not a gap year, I literally have no choice but to take it). Basically I'm just worried that my whole life is screwed over because of this - I'm going to have to watch all my friends go off to university whilst I stay behind all because of 1 predicted grade. I don't think its worth talking to the head of sixth form as I don't think she likes me nor does she know me very well.

What should I do from now? Do you think it is worth getting my parents to ring in?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would if I were in your situation
Your teacher is chatting so much bull lol. I stopped attending biology lessons like 4 months before exams begun and still got an A in them. You can easily catch up work at home. Especially if your teacher was awful like mine.

That being said you're overreacting. The only unis you picked that may not give you an offer is Oxford. They say they only want AAA. The reality is most who get in will have 2-4A*'s.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jmettam
I would if I were in your situation

Yeah I'm just worried because when I said I needed these grades for uni she misinterpreted and said that she won't let me bully her into predicting me an A, so if I get my parents involved she'll probably she accuse me of trying to intimidate her.
Reply 4
Original post by stereoashhh
Your teacher is chatting so much bull lol. I stopped attending biology lessons like 4 months before exams begun and still got an A in them. You can easily catch up work at home. Especially if your teacher was awful like mine.

I know, to be honest the reason I don't make sure I attend every lesson is that I have medical issues frequently and I do make sure to catch up.
And I don't know, Nottingham's requirements are A*AA and I absolutely love Oxford and have always had my heart set on it - I don't want to throw away my chance for applying to it just because of one teacher.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ninapudding
My predicted grades are A*AB. I want to apply for Oxford, Nottingham, Warwick and Nottingham, all of which require AAA.

I got a B in my Geography AS (4 UMS off of an A) and my teacher will not give me a target grade A because she says I am away from lesson too much (I have missed 3 lessons this year due to medical reasons). I told her that I always catch up on the work but she said this is not good enough as being in lesson. I then told her that I need these grades to apply for university, and she told me that she won't be pressured into lying to UCAS because she does not think I can get the A. The thing I don't understand that if my attendance was such a huge and pertinent issue, why do my other subjects have no problem predicting me A, and even above?

I'm feeling really heartbroken and dejected because this means I will have to avoid applying for university this year, and wait until the next when I have my grades. I'm worried Oxford don't look favourably upon gap years (even though it's not a gap year, I literally have no choice but to take it). Basically I'm just worried that my whole life is screwed over because of this - I'm going to have to watch all my friends go off to university whilst I stay behind all because of 1 predicted grade. I don't think its worth talking to the head of sixth form as I don't think she likes me nor does she know me very well.

What should I do from now? Do you think it is worth getting my parents to ring in?

Oh for heavens sake get a grip. Apply this year or next year - it DOES not matter.

Get your A levels, get a good grade and then apply. You will be all the better for it.*
Why do you think trying to create a fuss is going to make your teacher reassess her professional opinion of your final grade?

I know, to be honest the reason I don't make sure I attend every lesson is that most of them aren't even beneficial and I know I can teach myself better,

And I think that arrogant attitude is precisely why she's predicted you what she has.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
Why do you think trying to create a fuss is going to make your teacher reassess her professional opinion of your final grade?

And I think that arrogant attitude is precisely why she's predicted you what she has.

You're right that was arrogant of me, and I regret saying it. It's just frustrating to me.
You're right that was arrogant of me, and I regret saying it. It's just frustrating to me.

Respect to you for saying that. :smile:
You should contact your head of sixth form. The school should have a method for resolving such disputes. It may be the teacher has picked a perfectly rational way of choosing your predicted grade based on their experience. I get your point about the other subjects, but it is not her subject or those teachers making the prediction. You also dont say what AS grades you got for those.

I dont think your argument for gap year counts because you will have attained the grades during the 2 year period.

Your overreacting somewhat and already preparing for the worst.

Apply to Oxford this year anyway, the worst they can do is reject you in which case you take next year out and apply with the A* you will have already got. If you don't get the A*, just go to your insurance. There's always the chance your course will be in clearing.
Original post by Reality Check

In all fairness lessons can be a waste of time and it is sometimes more beneficial to self teach.

That being said you're overreacting. The only unis you picked that may not give you an offer is Oxford. They say they only want AAA. The reality is most who get in will have 2-4A*'s.

No that's not reality, that's ********. Most Oxford students have around 3A*? Maths and and science students aren't representative of the entire university
Original post by HopelessMedic
In all fairness lessons can be a waste of time and it is sometimes more beneficial to self teach.

Of course, you're right in certain circumstances, but children with an arrogant attitude and inflated opinion of their own abilities don't, I find, get on awfully well with decision makers, be they Heads of Sixth Form or university Admissions Tutors. That's my experience of it, anyway.
Predicted grades don't really mean that much. I was predicted ABB and got offers for Warwick and Durham (both required AAA). Focus on your personal statement.

Do everything you can to get that predicted grade changed, because it's utter BS that you won't get an A just because you're not going to lessons. Get your parents to go in, speak to your head of 6th form or whoever, because being predicted AAA will obviously help. But not being predicted AAA isn't the end of the world.

Honestly, 9/10 people in your situation would've been predicted an A and it's unfortunate that it hasn't happened. The Oxford deadline is in a matter of days, so I would just call my parents in if I were you. It doesn't matter if the teacher starts *****ing to you after or gets angry, she'll only be with you for a matter of months before Y13 ends, so it's a short term consequence. I'm pretty sure you parents would make your medical issues a lot more clear to her.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
No that's not reality, that's ********. Most Oxford students have around 3A*? Maths and and science students aren't representative of the entire university

Exactly this. The reason Oxford "only" require AAA is because they know for arts & hums, A* grades are "volatile" in the sense that they're not as expected and harder to predict than in maths & science subjects.

Other factors are much more likely to be more important than your A-level grades (provided you meet the minimum entry requirements ofcourse) in the admissions process, like the interview, any admissions tests, and your personal statement.

@ninapudding As others have said, definitely get your parents involved. This seems pretty unfair imo.

I agree as I also have a teacher like that.
I stopped going to my History lessons towards the end of the course (I agreed this with staff, not a medical thing like yours), and I don't regret it at all because I ended up with an A at the end of the year and unfortunately nearly everyone who stayed in lessons did badly, especially in the paper that was taught by the time I was self-teaching, when teaching really declined and when I did extra work and asked for feedback it was not forthcoming. Even lessons which were not badly taught were purely copying off powerpoints which I can do more quickly at home as of course people write at different speeds.

I am someone who has very good attendance and respect my teachers' knowledge but in this particular case I knew I was better off doing it myself, which shows in my results in a very bad year for History at our college.

I think being so close to an A and succeeding despite illness should mean predicting you an A (ofc I don't know you as your teacher does). I'm applying for Oxbridge too only they haven't sent in my reference yet after quite a while... so I know how it feels to want the best application possible. Assuming your other ASs were As I understand why you might feel this is holding you back when it needn't.
My only concern with ringing in is the teacher may just interpret this as me attempting to intimidate her. I'm just really pissed off as I've sat my LNAT and I feel it went really well, and that'll all be worth nothing. We've done a few 'mini mocks' so far, and I've been getting 12/15 and 13/15 on essay questions which is an A. At this point I honestly think its just pointless because her issue is my attendance, and I don't see how I can change her mind about that by Friday (Oxford deadline day)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending