The Student Room Group

I am literally unemployable

I apply for like 10 jobs a days and from the few that give me interviews and/or assessment days - I am always unsuccessful.

I am a graduate and I realise that a degree does not entitle you to a high paying job so I am even applying to fast food restaurants,retail, etc and they even reject you because they know that if you get offered a graduate job you will be out of there fast.

Is there anyone else in this situation just now? What are you doing?

Scroll to see replies

If you're applying for burger flipping, then don't mention your degree! You're exactly right what you say that they'll reject you so don't offer the information - look like a credible applicant to a junk food outlet, rather than a graduate treading water until something suitable comes along.
Original post by unemployed2016
I apply for like 10 jobs a days and from the few that give me interviews and/or assessment days - I am always unsuccessful.

I am a graduate and I realise that a degree does not entitle you to a high paying job so I am even applying to fast food restaurants,retail, etc and they even reject you because they know that if you get offered a graduate job you will be out of there fast.

I'm 16 and I'm experiencing the same thing. I just can't get a job. Job applications are effort as well! It might be because of my age, inferring the lack of work experience on my part.

You can claim Jobseeker's Allowance for being out of work, but they make you do things like workfare which is not good and sanction you for being a few mins late. They are too strict nowadays a friend of mine was sent home from the Jobcentre for not having a top on one scorching hot day in summer, missed his appointment and was sanctioned.

Pity there wasn't a system like in my uncles day where they had unemployment benefit and all you had to do was sign on once a fortnight and they left you alone....
Original post by House Bound
I'm 16 and I'm experiencing the same thing. I just can't get a job. Job applications are effort as well! It might be because of my age, inferring the lack of work experience on my part.

Have you tried volunteering?

I cant see how you apply properly for ten jobs a day. Thats over 250 a month.

The fact that you are getting interviews and assessment days points to a weakness in your interview technique. Its a skill to be learned just like any other.

You arent permanently unemployable, you just arent making yourself as employable as you might be. Are thye giving you any feedback or are you asking for it about why you are unsuccessful?
Reply 6

try to get a voluntary job okay?
Original post by Ambitious1999

Pity there wasn't a system like in my uncles day where they had unemployment benefit and all you had to do was sign on once a fortnight and they left you alone....

Thank god we don't still have that system so I and other taxpayers don't have to fund lazy idle spongers who can't be bothered to actively look for a job and instead want to sit their claiming benefits all day. Why the **** should they be allowed to do that!
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger

The fact that you are getting interviews and assessment days points to a weakness in your interview technique. Its a skill to be learned just like any other.

You arent permanently unemployable, you just arent making yourself as employable as you might be. Are thye giving you any feedback or are you asking for it about why you are unsuccessful?

I agree with this. Each application, particularly the interview/assessment centre, provides some indication of what you should improve on for the next. It does not sound like you are actively reviewing and making appropriate modifications as a result of the responses and your own observations of what has happened with each job application. Doing so will greatly improve your employability.
Reply 9

You can claim Jobseeker's Allowance for being out of work, but they make you do things like workfare which is not good and sanction you for being a few mins late. They are too strict nowadays a friend of mine was sent home from the Jobcentre for not having a top on one scorching hot day in summer, missed his appointment and was sanctioned.

You could try and get a voluntary job, or get a degree like i did (with access if needed beforehand), as a good way back in to the labour market?

Original post by CCC75
I agree with this. Each application, particularly the interview/assessment centre, provides some indication of what you should improve on for the next. It does not sound like you are actively reviewing and making appropriate modifications as a result of the responses and your own observations of what has happened with each job application. Doing so will greatly improve your employability.

While reasonable points, you're both making the assumption that prospective employees give feedback. In my experience that isn't always the case.

You'd be lucky if it's 1in5 that do, and that's after chasing them.

While OP should definitely seek the feedback, they shouldn't expect it because, frankly, a lot of places out there are crap and know they're in a buyer's market.
Original post by Reality Check
Thank god we don't still have that system so I and other taxpayers don't have to fund lazy idle spongers who can't be bothered to actively look for a job and instead want to sit their claiming benefits all day. Why the **** should they be allowed to do that!

But the current system is hardly fair. People have to jump through hoops to get JSA, they have to attend regular appointments and interviews and show written evidence that they've been looking for a minimum number of jobs as if they were untrustworthy children. The old system was far better and treat people like adults.
They trick people into losing their benefit. My friend turned away from an appointment on a scorching hot day for not being dressed to their standard, then sanctioned for missing the interview.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
While reasonable points, you're both making the assumption that prospective employees give feedback. In my experience that isn't always the case.

While OP should definitely seek the feedback, they shouldn't expect it because, frankly, a lot of places out there are crap and know they're in a buyer's market.

Not my assumption at all - I have attended plenty of interviews where feedback was not provided. But you tend to know for yourself which areas of questioning you excelled in, and which went awry and require improvement. Every time you attend an interview review the interview in your mind and prepare better responses to the areas where you felt slightly caught out. Feedback provides the added bonus of confirming whether the areas you felt you did not do so well match up with the interviewers scoring of your answers.
Original post by Drewski

You answer your own question. They are only going to get it if they ask even if it was 1 in 5. I think its higher, but you take what you are given. You tend to have a higher rate if you ask nicely.

They shouldnt forget they are a graduate and capable of some form of intelligent rational analysis. That means reviewing their own performance and even if every employer says no, then they can get objective feedback from doing mock interviews at careers, job centres or work clubs.

Anyone claiming to be applying for 250 jobs a month I would take with a pinch of salt. Quality over quantity

Anyone calling themselves unemployable sounds dispirited, lost and very low on confidence or belief. If they have no faith in themselves, then its much harder to persuade an employer that you are the best person for the job.

Work on job search skills.
Rebuild self esteem
Refocus job search.
Original post by CCC75
Not my assumption at all - I have attended plenty of interviews where feedback was not provided. But you tend to know for yourself which areas of questioning you excelled in, and which went awry and require improvement. Every time you attend an interview review the interview in your mind and prepare better responses to the areas where you felt slightly caught out. Feedback provides the added bonus of confirming whether the areas you felt you did not do so well match up with the interviewers scoring of your answers.

Precisely its common sense you use your own intelligence and use it to assess your own performance. To id the mistakes, where you did well and where you can improve, so next time you do better.
I was like you - I didn't get a job until I was 20. just keep applying. eventually you'll get something.
I cant see how you apply properly for ten jobs a day. Thats over 250 a month.

People only have to apply for 3 jobs a week and do a minimum of 7 activities related to finding employment. That's only 12 jobs a month.

The Op has done well above the min requirement and doesn't need to. He won't get extra benefit for it and still be sanctioned if he's a minute late to an appointment. He should just chill out and enjoy his free time. Many years ago I heard there was no minimum number of jobs to apply for all he'd have to of done was sign on once every 2 weeks.
Precisely its common sense you use your own intelligence and use it to assess your own performance. To id the mistakes, where you did well and where you can improve, so next time you do better.

Why do you come across so negative and critical? Phrase your sentences so they read in a calmer way. This person has got a degree so they must be doing something right.
They are too strict nowadays a friend of mine was sent home from the Jobcentre for not having a top on one scorching hot day in summer, missed his appointment and was sanctioned.

Your friend attended an appointment topless? That is incredibly inappropriate and just sends a message of not taking it seriously. I'm glad the advisors are enforcing some sort of standards.*
People only have to apply for 3 jobs a week and do a minimum of 7 activities related to finding employment. That's only 12 jobs a month.

The Op has done well above the min requirement and doesn't need to. He won't get extra benefit for it and still be sanctioned if he's a minute late to an appointment. He should just chill out and enjoy his free time. Many years ago I heard there was no minimum number of jobs to apply for all he'd have to of done was sign on once every 2 weeks.

Wrong again. People have to do the number of actions they agree to in their jobseekers agreement, whcih cna be different for every person. My point was anyone claiming to apply for 10 jobs a day is not making ten well considered and targeted applications a day as they take longer thna that to do. I dont believe you are applying for 250 jobs a month+.

Quick Reply

Latest