The Student Room Group

Should I give teaching training another try?

I started a PGCE straight after finishing my degree when I was 21 years old (in 2014). I felt really overwhelmed with the pressure of the course and felt that I wasn't confident enough in myself to do it (i didn't really believe in myself). I found it hard managing a class with no experience of doing that before.
I'm a bit of a quiet person too and I don't think I had a lot of 'presence', especially as I wasn't the teacher. I left about 5 weeks into my first placement so around december time.

It wasn't a light decision for me to leave the course. I just didn't feel ready and confident enough and thought I'd benefit from gaining paid experience in a school.

So i then got a job as a TA for a year, and now currently work at a daycare centre (i want to teach EYFS so its relevant experience). I really enjoyed working in a school and felt it gave me a good understanding of what teaching is like and i had lots of experience teaching whole class sizes of children. However, I'm a quiet "soft" person and found that I can't control a class of 30 children on my own.
I'm considering applying for teacher training again but going down a schools direct route, as opposed to a PGCE route. However, although I feel I have many positive qualities that would make me a good teacher. I feel that me being quiet and soft might make me find it hard to manage children's behaviour and dealing with difficult parents. I had experience of this as a TA but most times the teacher would step in if i was really struggling. I also think I'd find it hard to lead a classroom of my own and to delegate tasks to other staff members. But I know I'd find it so rewarding seeing children grow and develop and being part of that experience.

I don't know if i'lll ever feel ready and maybe I just need to take the plunge and I'm always willing to improve so whenever I've had feedback I've taken it on board and it's improved my practice. So I feel like I can do it I just need to believe in myself more.

SHould I apply for September 2017 or have some more time out? I'm currently working with children whilst studying a Masters degree.

I just really can't decide. I feel like I want to just be a teacher but I worry so much about not being a "good" teacher
Just to add, I learnt a lot of behaviour management strategies and worked with quite a difficult class (even the teacher struggled to manage their behaviour) so i know I am capable of setting boundaries, as long as I do it straight away and am consistent with it
See this thread: it's very relevant to you.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4362042&p=67987970#post67987970

Consider the arrogant conceited little brats you might end up having to teach. They're so entitled and bolshy now! And if the kids are like that, just imagine what the parents must be like!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fay119
I started a PGCE straight after finishing my degree when I was 21 years old (in 2014). I felt really overwhelmed with the pressure of the course and felt that I wasn't confident enough in myself to do it (i didn't really believe in myself). I found it hard managing a class with no experience of doing that before.
I'm a bit of a quiet person too and I don't think I had a lot of 'presence', especially as I wasn't the teacher. I left about 5 weeks into my first placement so around december time.

It wasn't a light decision for me to leave the course. I just didn't feel ready and confident enough and thought I'd benefit from gaining paid experience in a school.

So i then got a job as a TA for a year, and now currently work at a daycare centre (i want to teach EYFS so its relevant experience). I really enjoyed working in a school and felt it gave me a good understanding of what teaching is like and i had lots of experience teaching whole class sizes of children. However, I'm a quiet "soft" person and found that I can't control a class of 30 children on my own.
I'm considering applying for teacher training again but going down a schools direct route, as opposed to a PGCE route. However, although I feel I have many positive qualities that would make me a good teacher. I feel that me being quiet and soft might make me find it hard to manage children's behaviour and dealing with difficult parents. I had experience of this as a TA but most times the teacher would step in if i was really struggling. I also think I'd find it hard to lead a classroom of my own and to delegate tasks to other staff members. But I know I'd find it so rewarding seeing children grow and develop and being part of that experience.

I don't know if i'lll ever feel ready and maybe I just need to take the plunge and I'm always willing to improve so whenever I've had feedback I've taken it on board and it's improved my practice. So I feel like I can do it I just need to believe in myself more.

SHould I apply for September 2017 or have some more time out? I'm currently working with children whilst studying a Masters degree.

I just really can't decide. I feel like I want to just be a teacher but I worry so much about not being a "good" teacher

Even the quietest, softest person can teach a class of children - but like you say, setting boundaries clearly and immediately is key! Also, faking being cross is a skill that really comes in handy with my class. Don't have to actually feel cross, but being able to pull the faces and say the right things in the right tone of voice si something that is very useful - most of the time, what they do doesn't bother me, or amuses me. As a teacher, I have to pretend that it does bother me. For me, teaching is one big act (and I love it!). I'm a year 6 teacher, so not exactly EYFS, but closer than some people realise sometimes :s-smilie:
Have you thought about applying to Teach First? I know that they have a reputation for placing people into tough schools, but they actually work with a really wide range and place different people based on personality. Plus,their assessment process is designed to tell you whether you have what it takes to be a teacher, so if you're worried about that then maybe it's worth putting in an application and letting them tell you? Cheaper than shelling out for a PGCE when you're not sure.
Reply 5
Im intersting to prcactice english .

Can you help me ?
There is no option to be soft in the classroom. It is your way or the highway and if you are not prepared to follow through and issue sanctions for low level behaviour, your classes will annihilate you. I was destroyed this week by low level behaviour. The class are not going to know what hit them next time.

The other thing to bear in mind is that from where I sit (Schools Direct), the course is identical to university led with the only exception being that I knew which school I was to be at during block A. I also receive a few additional extras in terms of training which is nice, but not essential. In other words, there is no significant difference. It is SCHITT that is truly different, but even they have been in uni a few times.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending