The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice for applying to Nottingham. I think I would have 39 points but I'm not quite sure, is this good enough?
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
I have done lots of volunteering and work experience!
Any advice of applying and what chances I would have of getting an interview

Thank you!!!
Reply 81
Original post by elish2chambers
Your stats and UKCAT are both really strong so you stand a strong chance anywhere tbh! You could look at HYMS, Birmingham (if you have an A* predication at A-Level, Sheffield or Newcastle- however these 2 are both really UKCAT heavy and I know you're already applying to Southampton which is UKCAT heavy also, so if you wanted a "safer" 4th option I would look at HYMS, Birmingham or maybe Leicester?

Thank you
Reply 82
Original post by isabella1999
Hey! I am thinking of applying to Nottingham, looks gorgeous. the scoring system freaked me out as I was like what?! 46?! Hahaha. So if you take out the nineDA Marks the cut off for last year would be 37 pre PS and 47 after? I think hopefully I will have a score of 42 so looking bright unless I fail UKCAT aha. What other unis you looking at?

Hey i am on 38/46 how do you think that sounds-
Original post by NSAMM
Hey i am on 38/46 how do you think that sounds-

I decided not to apply in the end, but probably around the cut off? So it depends I guess
Original post by isabella1999
I do not think so! As last year, the cut off before they looked at PS (so for academics and ukcat) was only 46/55 I think so as long as you are around 9 points away from the highest mark (in our case 46) and you are pretty confident in your Personal statement you are likely to get an interview. Although it depends on the standard of the year applying, they say on the website that they discard the bottom 50% at each stage or whatever so if this year everyone has stellar stats (40 plus out of 46 or something) then the cut off for interview and at each stage will be higher.

If TSR is anything to go by, the standard this year is crazy high, but then again it is TSR so it is likely to be a lot lower than that haha

I got a measly 37/46 which is like the cut-off score itself. I'm so worried :frown:((((

Hi should I apply to nottingham?

A levels (achieved): A*AA
AS Levels: AAAA
GCSE: 8A* and A in chemistry and 2 other A grades
UKCAT: 1870 sjt score: band 3 (**** verbal reasoning and sjt)

1 week in GP, 1 week in hospital, 1 week in pharmacy, first aid cert. arranging to work for st john's ambulance in gap year, volunteer at care home, volunteer as childrens hospice and its charity shop, 1 year working as a maths and english tutor for kids, can speak 2 other languages.

Does it look decent enough to get an interview?

Reply 86
Original post by valencia9000

It really depends on your banding for your individual UKCAT scores and also whether any of your As are in the required subjects for the GCSE scoring. I see you have an A in Chemistry so you have definitely dropped 1 point on the GCSE scoring and also 2 points on the SJT band 3. Assuming you scored between 601 and 700 on the 3 UKCAT sections and have A* in the other 7 GCSE subjects to be scored you have a score of 37/46 maximum which I would say would be very tight to get to the PS scoring round.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by valencia9000

Hi should I apply to nottingham?

A levels (achieved): A*AA
AS Levels: AAAA
GCSE: 8A* and A in chemistry and 2 other A grades
UKCAT: 1870 sjt score: band 3 (**** verbal reasoning and sjt)

1 week in GP, 1 week in hospital, 1 week in pharmacy, first aid cert. arranging to work for st john's ambulance in gap year, volunteer at care home, volunteer as childrens hospice and its charity shop, 1 year working as a maths and english tutor for kids, can speak 2 other languages.

Does it look decent enough to get an interview?

What ukcat subtests scores?
Original post by Docjones1
What ukcat subtests scores?

Got my acknowledgment!
To be honest I'm mostly worried that I don't have enough hobbies/ achievements in other non-academic fields. Would they pick up on that?
Is 38/46 cutting it close?
Reply 92
Original post by RattyApple
To be honest I'm mostly worried that I don't have enough hobbies/ achievements in other non-academic fields. Would they pick up on that?

If your academics and PS in volunteering and work experience are strong then you stand a chance of getting an interview. If you get an interview then your non-academic achievements will be a minor part of perhaps just one of the MMI stations (maybe just one mark at one station). You just need to be prepared (if asked) to give an example or two about how your non-academic activities have made you a more rounded person eg: working as part of a team, persevering with something etc. You don't need to be a star athlete or an amazing musician. Maybe think about when you have contributed to a team effort at school, not necessarily in sport but working on a project or task or if you did DofE you will have examples. It's your personality, team working, empathy, work ethic, determination etc that they're looking for and not that you were the best in the school at something. Quite simple examples can be powerful in demonstrating those qualities, which are all needed to embark on a medical career. Feel free to message me if you need a view.
Reply 93
Original post by MCMXCVIII
Is 38/46 cutting it close?

Probably borderline, but if it's one of your best shots you have to go with it.
Reply 94
Hey.
Predicted grades: A*A*A
7A*s GCSE
UKCAT score (average: 640)
QR: 710
VR: 610
AR: 600
BAND 2

Pre-personal score: 39/46
-My PS is strong I think
How much of a chance do you think I have of getting to PS stage and passing the cut-off?
Reply 95
Original post by KayleyC
Hey.
Predicted grades: A*A*A
7A*s GCSE
UKCAT score (average: 640)
QR: 710
VR: 610
AR: 600
BAND 2

Pre-personal score: 39/46
-My PS is strong I think
How much of a chance do you think I have of getting to PS stage and passing the cut-off?

Based on last year you would probably be ok but borderline for getting to the PS stage (scores this year may be higher or lower though). Your PS score would then need to be better than some of the people with higher first sift (academic/UKCAT) scores to overtake them in the second stage sift for interview.

Not sure if you have already submitted through UCAS, but based on last year's cut off you would have a strong chance of an interview at Leicester as long as your A* include Maths, Sciences, Eng Lang
I'm in the Non-GCSE (Overseas) category so my equivalent qualifications, in lieu with the actual GCSE translates to 37/46 points (before PS screening).

They needed at least 30/46 points for Non-GCSE (Overseas) applicants for the first screening. I guess I passed it, hopefully :smile:

Plus, my PS is really solid after tallying it with the requirements set by Nottingham clearly. In fact, for the second screening, it wanted at least 32/46 points after the PS was factored in. Do you think I might have a chance to get an interview offer? :frown: Guys, do correct me if my maths is wrong on this lol.
Reply 97
Original post by meddad
Based on last year you would probably be ok but borderline for getting to the PS stage (scores this year may be higher or lower though). Your PS score would then need to be better than some of the people with higher first sift (academic/UKCAT) scores to overtake them in the second stage sift for interview.

Not sure if you have already submitted through UCAS, but based on last year's cut off you would have a strong chance of an interview at Leicester as long as your A* include Maths, Sciences, Eng Lang

Okay, thanks. No I've submitted it because I really liked the uni but now I know not to get my hopes up! Hope my other choices are more sensible :smile: Was going to apply to Leicester but didn't end up doing it. Now for the wait
Original post by KayleyC
Okay, thanks. No I've submitted it because I really liked the uni but now I know not to get my hopes up! Hope my other choices are more sensible :smile: Was going to apply to Leicester but didn't end up doing it. Now for the wait

If i'm not mistaken, you can change your university once only when you receive your Track ID. Maybe you can check it out, who knows you might just be able to swap it for Leicester? :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by KayleyC

Well keep your fingers crossed anyway. You still have a chance and sometimes it's worth taking a risk on one you really like. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending