The Student Room Group

Complex function domain colouring

I'm a tutor supporting a student as he works through his Extended Project Qualification and am looking for anyone who could help out with producing a complex colour domain plot of the function F(z)=z^(1/z), have used a couple of web apps but resolution is poor so any help would be gratefully received!
Original post by GreenGlow
I'm a tutor supporting a student as he works through his Extended Project Qualification and am looking for anyone who could help out with producing a complex colour domain plot of the function F(z)=z^(1/z), have used a couple of web apps but resolution is poor so any help would be gratefully received!

Do you mean this sort of plot? I must admit, I only ever try to do them in Mathematica or Matlab. However, there is a Python plugin for Gimp (which I have not used) which looks pretty impressive, if you don't have access to these.

May I suggest that you steer your student away from z1/zz^{1/z} ? Raising complex numbers to complex powers and getting a function out of it is notoriously tricky!

Have no software myself, but [url=
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+z%5E(1%2Fz)]this may be of some use to you.
Reply 3

exam solutions is great!!
Reply 4

i mean desmos!!!!!
Reply 5
Original post by Gregorius
Do you mean this sort of plot? I must admit, I only ever try to do them in Mathematica or Matlab. However, there is a Python plugin for Gimp (which I have not used) which looks pretty impressive, if you don't have access to these.

May I suggest that you steer your student away from z1/zz^{1/z} ? Raising complex numbers to complex powers and getting a function out of it is notoriously tricky!

The plots produced by Mathematica/Matlab are exactly what I'm looking for! The function we are looking at is f(x) = x^(1/x) (Steiner's calculus problem) but I thought I would introduce how this function acts on the complex plane as an intro to complex numbers.

Quick Reply

Latest