The Student Room Group

Do you agree with abortion??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JNDSAN
disagree with it in almost all cases apart from incest and rape

Original post by BobBobson
Disagree apart from incest, rape and danger to mother's or child's life. If you don't want to take care of it, you can put it up for adoption. If you feel to guilty doing that, you should've thought of that before you ****ed a guy.

Around 6% of rape reports result in a conviction - based on that, how do you propose your system would work?
Reply 21
Pro-abortion. Best of a bad bunch of decisions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay so many problems with his ''destruction''

45 ranting about killing baby - She's not literally think about killing her child 1 minute before giving birth how stupid is he.

1:15 ranting about killing babies - Okay so I suppose this guy must break his heart when he stands on a snail, when he allows for a cow to be killed to eat steak, when he allows for a chicken to be killed etc. etc. There is no difference between that little cluster of cells in a woman's body and these animals, you can shove the word "KILL" on anything, doesn't change a thing. "Look at the chicken burger from an animal you had KILLED", "Look at the snail you KILLED". etc.

2:00 - After the 24 week cut off, well there you go... he literally just ruined his own point because it's not a LEGAL ABORTION? JFC. Also many European countries have a cut off of around 12-14 weeks.

2:40 - Not a 'kid', not a 'child'.

2:50 - "You don't have a right to kill it", well yes you do as it's your body and your entitlement.

3:15 - Yes its own rights are more important than the baby's convenience whilst it's in the womb. God he probably would let women give birth even if they were going to die just for the child.

4:00 - Once again, using the word 'murder' doesn't make anything different.

4:05 - Yes actually you do get to choose other people's outcomes in life. "Pulling the plug" and the death sentence are two good examples. Also stop referring to the foetus as "someone" it's not yet.

4:15 - Omg when the baby has tastebuds? God forbid.... and fingernails and teeth...

4:45 - "BEGINNINGS OF" =/= fully formed at all, greatly overexaggerated.

5:10 - "Personal convenience issue", goddamn I'm not even a ****ing woman but if I met this guy irl I would punch him so hard in the ****ing gob purely for referring to abortion as that. Don't ever ****ing describe it as that issue, especially to anyone who was raped.

5:30 - He just compared this to slavery and hitler, bye.

5:40 - Right, and allowing women to die just to give birth was one of those disgusting legal things in the past :smile:

6:10 - Can't call something that's incapable of comitting any act 'innocent', since it can't be 'guilty' either.

6:45 - Sure, when it's born it's a human.

--

Okay how the ****ing hell are morons on YouTube defending this? All he's doing is scaremongering people by using words such as 'kill' and murder' alongside cute words like 'innocent' to make the act seem worse than it actually is. The entire thing is so greatly over-exaggerated and is full of complete crap.I am prochoice and always will be. And hopefully morons like this never influence any governmental policy regarding abortion ever... but then again, this is the states so.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Inexorably
Okay so many problems with his ''destruction''

45 ranting about killing baby - She's not literally think about killing her child 1 minute before giving birth how stupid is he.

1:15 ranting about killing babies - Okay so I suppose this guy must break his heart when he stands on a snail, when he allows for a cow to be killed to eat steak, when he allows for a chicken to be killed etc. etc. There is no difference between that little cluster of cells in a woman's body and these animals, you can shove the word "KILL" on anything, doesn't change a thing. "Look at the chicken burger from an animal you had KILLED", "Look at the snail you KILLED". etc.

2:00 - After the 24 week cut off, well there you go... he literally just ruined his own point because it's not a LEGAL ABORTION? JFC. Also many European countries have a cut off of around 12-14 weeks.

2:40 - Not a 'kid', not a 'child'.

2:50 - "You don't have a right to kill it", well yes you do as it's your body and your entitlement.

3:15 - Yes its own rights are more important than the baby's convenience whilst it's in the womb. God he probably would let women give birth even if they were going to die just for the child.

4:00 - Once again, using the word 'murder' doesn't make anything different.

4:05 - Yes actually you do get to choose other people's outcomes in life. "Pulling the plug" and the death sentence are two good examples. Also stop referring to the foetus as "someone" it's not yet.

4:15 - Omg when the baby has tastebuds? God forbid.... and fingernails and teeth...

4:45 - "BEGINNINGS OF" =/= fully formed at all, greatly overexaggerated.

5:10 - "Personal convenience issue", goddamn I'm not even a ****ing woman but if I met this guy irl I would punch him so hard in the ****ing gob purely for referring to abortion as that. Don't ever ****ing describe it as that issue, especially to anyone who was raped.

5:30 - He just compared this to slavery and hitler, bye.

5:40 - Right, and allowing women to die just to give birth was one of those disgusting legal things in the past :smile:

6:10 - Can't call something that's incapable of comitting any act 'innocent', since it can't be 'guilty' either.

6:45 - Sure, when it's born it's a human.

--

Okay how the ****ing hell are morons on YouTube defending this? All he's doing is scaremongering people by using words such as 'kill' and murder' alongside cute words like 'innocent' to make the act seem worse than it actually is. The entire thing is so greatly over-exaggerated and is full of complete crap.I am prochoice and always will be. And hopefully morons like this never influence any governmental policy regarding abortion ever... but then again, this is the states so.

Would rep but can't. Essentially what I would have written if I was bothered.
Reply 24
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Around 6% of rape reports result in a conviction - based on that, how do you propose your system would work?

Every woman that wants to abort would say that she has been raped under that system. It cannot requires a conviction, as judicial enquiries and trials often take several years.
Original post by catholicgirl
I just watched this YouTube video which gives a lot of weight to the pro-life argument.

Watch here:
[video="youtube;RDmwPGrZkYs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDmwPGrZkYs[/video]

with a username like yours, you're *obviously* not biased about this, aren't you...this couldn't possibly have any connection to your religion, which you were raised with...
Original post by Josb
Every woman that wants to abort would say that she has been raped under that system. It cannot requires a conviction, as judicial enquiries and trials often take several years.

Well, quite. What an absurd idea!
Absolutely not. Everyone deserves the right to life and murdering a baby whilst it is still in the womb is reprehensible.

I'm sick of hypocritical liberals who go on and on about "equality" and "fairness" while at the same time advocating the murders of innocent lives.
Original post by Viva Emptiness

That is one of the rape statistics that has been reported as a myth multiple times. It's just another lie perpetuated by the feminists because muh patriarchy.
Yeah, I do agree with it. :smile:

Plus, most of his 'argument' was overemotional crap, which didn't surprise. The pro-lifers tend to be too emotionally invested anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
I am anti-abortion. However I do not believe it should be outright banned at present, doing so would likely just lead to a rise in dangerous illegal abortions.
Original post by BobBobson
That is one of the rape statistics that has been reported as a myth multiple times. It's just another lie perpetuated by the feminists because muh patriarchy.

I found this stat on the rape crisis charity page and they had cited a study so didn't really delve deeper than that. Happy to be debunked if you have some further proof.
Original post by sleepysnooze
with a username like yours, you're *obviously* not biased about this, aren't you...this couldn't possibly have any connection to your religion, which you were raised with...

Oh, yes, the Catholic Church is against abortion, however as a young girl who had just reached my teen years, they terminated my pregnancy. Still, what could they do? How could you explain away a child in care being pregnant to a Catholic priest? Hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Pro- life.
I agree with the man, induced abortion is oppression of right to life.

In cases of rape, why perform an act that the rapist wants? More violence does not solve a problem. This is words spoken from a teen who had been raped with result of pregnancy. The idea that she would perform any act that benefited the rapist appalled her.

Adoption is a beautiful solution that works.
“Adoption does NOT end your life, I’m proof,” Kathy added, then explained that she’s gone on to have two more beautiful daughters and have an otherwise fulfilling life. “Both my daughters are homeowners, did wonderful in school, and never missed curfews. So the pro-choice people just use that as an excuse.”

"That" referring to an argument which suggests life is down hill and a constant unpleasant struggle for babies adopted.
http://madworldnews.com/raped-teen-abortion/

30 women have participated in an effort to report their choice:
"Our experiences are varied. Many of us carried our pregnancies to term. Some of us raised or are raising our children, while others placed our children in adoptive homes. Others of us had abortions. In many cases, we felt pressured to abort by family members, social workers, and doctors who insisted that abortion was the “best” solution. For many the abortion caused physical and emotional trauma equal to or exceeding the trauma of the sexual assault that our abortions were supposed to 'cure.'”
http://concernedwomen.org/rape-incest-and-abortion-women-victims-want-their-voices-heard/

I view incest as referring to a type of rape as most cases are not mutual engagements. Even in moments of consent, one's ability to comprehend given situation is questionable. For incest, abortion hides the act of incest as the laws do not require provided statement into what a situation is - in regards to a victim's pregnancy. Furthermore, studies have indicated that majority of women/girls having that abortion (free to anyone) is doing so because they are forced to by the rapist.
Maloof, "The Consequences of Incest: Giving and Taking Life" The Psychological Aspects of Abortion (eds. Mall & Watts, Washington, D.C., University Publications of America, 1979) 84-85.

We can consider thoughts of a victim:
Just before I was 13 years old, I was sexually abused by an older brother and by a college-age friend of the family. I was never assaulted by the two together, but each knew of the other’s involvement the older brother gave me “tips” for sexual acts on the family friend......

Over the years, I have found out that my story is very common in two aspects, neither of which will be good news for either side in the abortion debate. The first is the fact that my experience with Planned Parenthood was not an aberration. The sexual attitude often championed by Planned Parenthood is a serious factor in preventing the discovery of sexual abuse of young people. Had anyone shown even the least bit of disapproval or concern, I would have divulged the truth and begged for help. Everyone around me seemed to accept as normal that a 12-year-old girl could and should be sexually active (so long as she is responsible remember that “rubber rainbow”!) And remember, too, who took me to Planned Parenthood an older brother with an urgent interest in my having an abortion! Abortion on demand, no questions asked, makes it easier for incest and child abuse to continue. Abortion for incest victims sounds compassionate, but in practice, it is simply another violent and deceptive tool in the hand of the abuser.

http://www.feministsforlife.org/incest-and-the-abortion-clinic/
(edited 7 years ago)
It's been a frightening aspect of human behaviour throughout history, that they define who is human and who isn't, who has the right to life and who doesn't, based on whatever happens to suit them at the time. And then the majority of the thoughtless population, rather than questioning or calling out the killings for what they are, become very acclimatised to it and emotionally detached from those victims, and consider it to be normal feeling that "It's only a [whatever] that's being killed, not a proper person like me".

The fact of the matter is that for most of you, your moral aversion to something being killed primarily depends on what happens to be normal at the time. If you had been a Dutch settler in southern Africa in the 1930s, you'd probably think it was morally acceptable to hunt the indigenous black people, because they were sub-human. If you had been an Arabian living in the 1400s, you'd probably think it was perfectly normal to bury your own newborn daughter alive just for being female. If you had been a German who had Jews getting exterminated in your back yard, you might well have been the train driver who took them to their deaths, or the architect who designed the gas chambers, or the bystander who did, said and thought nothing about it - as was the case with pretty much everyone at the time.

I think the killing of unborn children could be something that will make future civilisations will look back on us with disdain, thinking "how could they have possibly lived with themselves after doing something like that?", the way we do to other societies now. We wonder why nobody used to bat an eyelid at these atrocities, and yet most of us would have done the same thing in the same situation, as much as we might like to think otherwise. And now, when it suits us to be able to enjoy sex with whomever we want without taking responsibility for the consequences, when it suits us to be able to curb the population in an overcrowded world, when it becomes convenient for us to kill off a certain type of person, we begin to exclude them from the category of "human being" in order to normalise it and help ourselves sleep at night, like so many before us used to do.

We seriously exceed our own authority when we step in to make decisions about which members of our species are "real" humans and which ones aren't, because the fact is that we don't know anything about what gives rise, as opposed to a vegetative or robotic existence, to someone's awareness, experiences, desires, and fundamentally the preference to live rather than die. I'm all for the "right to choose", but did anybody find out from that unborn child, whether they would rather live or die if given the choice? Maybe if it had the ability to express itself, we'd be able to find out, but as it stands nobody really knows. So rather than dressing up this "24 week limit" as some kind of implication that we know the exact point at which a meaningful life begins, let's just be honest about the way in which our society has formed its view on abortion - based on no sound philosophical reasoning at all, but on whatever is convenient for us at the time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze

You're suggesting she's biased because of her religion, but think about this:

Who is more likely to have a biased view or vested interest in the legality of abortion? [1] Someone who regularly has sex before marriage with a variety of people and actively opens themselves up to the risk of conceiving an unwanted child, or [2] someone who is religiously prohibited from engaging in a promiscuous sexual lifestyle, who is therefore unlikely to ever conceive an illegitimate child in this manner, and whom is unlikely to ever be personally affected by the legal stance on abortion?
(edited 7 years ago)
I was pro-abortion for the primary reasons that the population is exponentially increasing and population is exceeding the amount of resources available. Yet, after watching this rather bias, very pro-life video I have changed my mind. The brutal way a child is murdered is wrong and immoral. To have its skull crushed and brains sucked out is cruel murder. Especially with all these factors that also detriment a child to be alive as you and I to kill that, the most innocent among us, just because a parent isn't ready?
My problem with anti-abortionists is when they class a baby as "alive", a lot saying that they count as life from the moment of conception.

So their logic here is that they are alive before there is brain activity or even a heartbeat.
Given that a heartbeat or functioning brain is not a prerequisite to life, we have no viable grounds to declare a human being dead. By pro-life logic, rotting corpses should still be paying taxes.

If we can agree on a cut off date at brain activity (a ceasing of brain activity is deemed clinical death) I have no qualms with that, but don't go around saying we are murdering stem cells.
Tazarooni has hit the nail on the head.

Abortion isn't right. It is choosing to end a human life because it is convenient. The time limits are totally arbitrary and the pro abortion arguments are just attempts to rationalise what instinct tells us is wrong.

Having said that, in extreme circumstances I, too, may favour convenience over human life. For example, if my wife was impregnated by a rapist. That doesn't make it right though and I do believe a better person than me would not take that pain out on a baby.

To me it is callous to say you agree with abortion. How can killing a human be agreeable? However, I can understand those who, with heavy heart, accept it.

Although, the law should protect innocents, I think policy has to be judged against its outcomes. Prohibition is never effective if public opinion doesn't support it. I've been told by people old enough to remember that abortion was widespread before it was legalised. With attitudes on abortion as liberal as they are now and because it would be so easy to get an illegal abortion, I don't think trying to stop it is practically feasible.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
It's been a frightening aspect of human behaviour throughout history, that they define who is human and who isn't, who has the right to life and who doesn't, based on whatever happens to suit them at the time. And then the majority of the thoughtless population, rather than questioning or calling out the killings for what they are, become very acclimatised to it and emotionally detached from those victims, and consider it to be normal feeling that "It's only a [whatever] that's being killed, not a proper person like me".

The fact of the matter is that for most of you, your moral aversion to something being killed primarily depends on what happens to be normal at the time. If you had been a Dutch settler in southern Africa in the 1930s, you'd probably think it was morally acceptable to hunt the indigenous black people, because they were sub-human. If you had been an Arabian living in the 1400s, you'd probably think it was perfectly normal to bury your own newborn daughter alive just for being female. If you had been a German who had Jews getting exterminated in your back yard, you might well have been the train driver who took them to their deaths, or the architect who designed the gas chambers, or the bystander who did, said and thought nothing about it - as was the case with pretty much everyone at the time.

I think the killing of unborn children could be something that will make future civilisations will look back on us with disdain, thinking "how could they have possibly lived with themselves after doing something like that?", the way we do to other societies now. We wonder why nobody used to bat an eyelid at these atrocities, and yet most of us would have done the same thing in the same situation, as much as we might like to think otherwise. And now, when it suits us to be able to enjoy sex with whomever we want without taking responsibility for the consequences, when it suits us to be able to curb the population in an overcrowded world, when it becomes convenient for us to kill off a certain type of person, we begin to exclude them from the category of "human being" in order to normalise it and help ourselves sleep at night, like so many before us used to do.

We seriously exceed our own authority when we step in to make decisions about which members of our species are "real" humans and which ones aren't, because the fact is that we don't know anything about what gives rise, as opposed to a vegetative or robotic existence, to someone's awareness, experiences, desires, and fundamentally the preference to live rather than die. I'm all for the "right to choose", but did anybody find out from that unborn child, whether they would rather live or die if given the choice? Maybe if it had the ability to express itself, we'd be able to find out, but as it stands nobody really knows. So rather than dressing up this "24 week limit" as some kind of implication that we know the exact point at which a meaningful life begins, let's just be honest about the way in which our society has formed its view on abortion - based on no sound philosophical reasoning at all, but on whatever is convenient for us at the time.

well stated.

unfortunately there is also the idea of "this is not me" which has been seen through out history as well. a disconnect to the situation. As long as it's not me or mine, I won't step in - it doesn't bother me. not mine to worry about.

Atrocities along with other injustices occur because of these two factors.

the man in the video is not disconnected. He considers the act performed on his own kids and is, as the teen mentioned in my previous post, discussed.

Getting people to recognize abortion for what it is may be difficult - but a worthy cause.

Thank you for sharing your input. Seems as though you are not disconnected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending