The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BobBobson
I'm still baffed about what PiXL papers are and why they are necessary. Seems like a waste of money to me.

They are going to decide what number a grade C should be from the results they get. Its most likely a 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb798
They are going to decide what number a grade C should be from the results they get. Its most likely a 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That has already been decided a long time ago by Ofqual? 4 is a low C, 5 is a high C. 5 is what is needed for a "good" pass.
Original post by BobBobson
That has already been decided a long time ago by Ofqual? 4 is a low C, 5 is a high C. 5 is what is needed for a "good" pass.

Yes
My teacher was explaining all that today. I did really bad in maths. I got a 4,without revision which is pathetic.
Hello! My name's Leo and I'm studying

English Language (AQA)
English Literature (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Triple science (OCR)
History (Edexcel)
French (Edexcel)
R.S (Edexcel)
BTEC IT
BTEC business

I do regret taking business tbh and I wish I did something better like sociology. I find the business stuff too easy and I'm way ahead everyone else, but that's the way it is.

For A-Levels I would like to study English Lit, history, politics and maybe one other but I'm undecided between French, sociology, psychology or philosophy! Any advice for which one to take would be good thanks.

I want to study law at university and maybe persue a career in that field or possibly journalism.

Thank you!
How much do universities like an A level language???

I do Spanish, and my school is the only school in area that do Spanish, with the exception of private and grammar schools near me. I don't want to stay on for sixth form at my school, because it's not the best, but if I want to do A level Spanish I feel like I have no choice but to stay. So how much to university's like an A level language of any of you know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simonexoxo

I do Spanish, and my school is the only school in area that do Spanish, with the exception of private and grammar schools near me. I don't want to stay on for sixth form at my school, because it's not the best, but if I want to do A level Spanish I feel like I have no choice but to stay. So how much to university's like an A level language of any of you know

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the degree, but a modern foreign language counts as a facilitating subject which means it can open a lot of doors for you. But tbh, I would be weary at choosing not to change schools just to take Spanish. It matters a lot more what grades you get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb798
Yes
My teacher was explaining all that today. I did really bad in maths. I got a 4,without revision which is pathetic.

A 4 is not pathetic. You have plenty of time to improve.

Original post by StrawberryJan
My english teacher said that, as we go through the year, they're gonna raise the boundaries up and up as we get "better" at doing these types of tests. Like they'll keep looking at the mock tests we do and see how many people perform super well and fit the boundary to that. I don't know if that's actually what's happening as my school (and most places) are a little clueless on what's happening

That's quite weird. Schools are clueless as to the boundaries, and often use flat-out unrealistic (high) grade boundaries, making students feel like they are making less progress than they actually are. (applies if your school uses the concept, likely a poor interpretation of UMS marks, that 90% is an 8, 70% is a 7, etc.) I believe most people are having this problem right now. The solution is to focus on the mark that you get, and the implications of that (ie. what you need to improve), and mostly disregard the grade. If in doubt, use the grade boundaries from the old spec, and lower the boundaries a bit, though those might still be overestimates, depending on how people handle the new Maths spec and EngLit. This applies to all people doing the reformed GCSEs :P
Original post by Simonexoxo

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest I'd only recommend doing an A-level language if you're planning on doing a degree that involves linguistics. In many other cases it's better to have a more relevant subject, although it could be a good 4th option, if you're good at it!
Hey there I'm Craig.

I am taking 9 gcse: Maths, English lit and language, Triple Science, Re, Product Design and Computer Science. I also take 2 btecs: business and pe.

I aim to get A*'s in all my subject to go to a private 6th form to study maths,further maths, physics and computer science.

For uni I would like to study either business or computer science. Also is anyone interested in making a group so that we can revise and help each other, because it would really help me
Original post by blurryleo
Hello! My name's Leo and I'm studying

English Language (AQA)
English Literature (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Triple science (OCR)
History (Edexcel)
French (Edexcel)
R.S (Edexcel)
BTEC IT
BTEC business

I do regret taking business tbh and I wish I did something better like sociology. I find the business stuff too easy and I'm way ahead everyone else, but that's the way it is.

For A-Levels I would like to study English Lit, history, politics and maybe one other but I'm undecided between French, sociology, psychology or philosophy! Any advice for which one to take would be good thanks.

I want to study law at university and maybe persue a career in that field or possibly journalism.

Thank you!

what exam board do you do for business?
Anyone do ocr computing ? Or FM ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 871
Original post by tasha_tah
Anyone do ocr computing ? Or FM ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I do OCR Computing, how can I help?
Original post by JTran38
Yes I do OCR Computing, how can I help?

are you currently doing CA ?
Reply 873
Original post by tasha_tah
are you currently doing CA ?

Yep
Original post by CraigBackner
what exam board do you do for business?

I'm not too sure, it's a BTEC so it may be different. We're doing marketing and recruitment atm
I am ShikaMekiFuka (I know weird username ,long story )
I am in year 11 and these are the subjects I am taking.
English literature:frown:I love reading plays and books but I am terrible at essays especially analysing them)
English language:frown:meh still a bottom C student not my favourite since we have to analyse boring stuff like articles and newspaper)
Maths: (I like it but I struggle with it I only find some topics interesting which mostly is algebra but everything else of maths is pure boredom especially trigonometry probability and ratios)
Health and social:frown:easy subject to get an A)
Geography;(I am a C B student but I'm getting worse since it never was my priority)
French:frown:hate it never intended to chose it but I am good at listening and reading still a C)
Science:frown:I am a C B student I really like science somehow I lost my revision notes for year 10 exam so I'm screwed since I have to do it this year overall science has become very boring because we learn stuff I'm not really a fan of)
Art:frown: I chose textiles but they put me in art I am very bad at art but aim for a b instead of a c)
I think I forgot a subject but oh well my predictions of gcse are very low somehow everyone's predictions have gone up except mine :frown:
My goals are 5A* 3A and Bs wish me luck I think I over exaggerated with the goals but Yolo
Original post by ShikaMekiFuka
I am ShikaMekiFuka (I know weird username ,long story )
I am in year 11 and these are the subjects I am taking.
English literature:frown:I love reading plays and books but I am terrible at essays especially analysing them)
English language:frown:meh still a bottom C student not my favourite since we have to analyse boring stuff like articles and newspaper)
Maths: (I like it but I struggle with it I only find some topics interesting which mostly is algebra but everything else of maths is pure boredom especially trigonometry probability and ratios)
Health and social:frown:easy subject to get an A)
Geography;(I am a C B student but I'm getting worse since it never was my priority)
French:frown:hate it never intended to chose it but I am good at listening and reading still a C)
Science:frown:I am a C B student I really like science somehow I lost my revision notes for year 10 exam so I'm screwed since I have to do it this year overall science has become very boring because we learn stuff I'm not really a fan of)
Art:frown: I chose textiles but they put me in art I am very bad at art but aim for a b instead of a c)
I think I forgot a subject but oh well my predictions of gcse are very low somehow everyone's predictions have gone up except mine :frown:
My goals are 5A* 3A and Bs wish me luck I think I over exaggerated with the goals but Yolo

Hey ShikaMekiFuka welcome to the chat, I hope you get all the grades you want, or even better if you want to over OVER exaggerate your goals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am in year 11 now and it is really hard but rewarding because at the end of the year I get to know what all my hard work as come to on results day. I am interested in doing equine studies at college.
Just enjoy year 11 and don't stress about it!!!
Reply 878
I've just found out that a predicted grade is actually different than it is on my report so I'm predicted 8A*2A. I couldn't be more happy!
Thought I'd give an update on what I'm doing right now in terms of school. I'm currently doing my second computer science controlled assessment and, whilst I'm finding it harder than the previous one due to a teacher change, I'm remaining optimistic and hoping that in due time it'll make a lot more sense.
I also have a Spanish writing controlled assessment on Monday which I'm very worried about because I've memorised very little of it. Again though, I'm remaining optimistic and hope to fully memorise it this weekend (despite it being my birthday on Sunday!)
Reply 879
Ah and my first English 'mock' (in classroom exam but nonetheless made me very happy) I was apparently 4 marks off a grade 9! I'm so happy.

Latest