The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Just when you guys thought no one would possibly start one of these damn threads any earlier in the year.

MY TIME NOW *****ES!

*Update by Princepieman - 16/09/2016*

Online Tests and Providers:

Spoiler

List of Firms:
BBs:

Spoiler

Balance Sheet Banks:

Spoiler

Elite Boutiques/Independent Advisory Firms

Spoiler

Full-Service Middle Market:

Spoiler

Middle Market Independent Advisory:

Spoiler

Big4:

Spoiler

European regional:

Spoiler

Quant Firms

HFT:

Spoiler

Quantitative hedge funds:

Spoiler

Prop Trading Firms:

Spoiler

Can I apply to internships as a final year student/not a penultimate year student?

Yes:

Spoiler

Only Off-Cycle:

Spoiler

Only if you intend to do a Masters

Spoiler

No, only grad

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You ARE the one who starts threads.
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Just when you guys thought no one would possibly start one of these damn threads any earlier in the year.

MY TIME NOW BITCHES!

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Lol I think I'll start a 2018 Spring week thread, can't be too early... 😂😂😂😂😂
(edited 7 years ago)
never too early to start prepping
When do the applications open ?
Original post by Maths degree
When do the applications open ?

August / September I think for most. A couple may open earlier than that. I'm applying for internships and grad roles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are Master's level students typically "allowed" to intern? Or are they simply rejected on the basis of not being in their penultimate year?

I'll be studying my Master's in Physics at a significantly better university than I am at present so would like to give summer apps another go.

Good luck with apps!! :biggrin:
Original post by NewtoIB123
Are Master's level students typically "allowed" to intern? Or are they simply rejected on the basis of not being in their penultimate year?

I'll be studying my Master's in Physics at a significantly better university than I am at present so would like to give summer apps another go.

Good luck with apps!! :biggrin:

You'll be able to apply but not all will have policies that allow final year students (which you technically are) to be considered. That said I would 1000000% apply for internships in place of grad roles, the latter is becoming more scarce every year as banks focus on recruiting from intern classes or interns from other banks.

Other types of firm (consulting, accounting, asset management etc) however, don't have the same pin-point focus on recruiting interns - you'd be fine gunning for grad for those firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You'll be able to apply but not all will have policies that allow final year students (which you technically are) to be considered. That said I would 1000000% apply for internships in place of grad roles, the latter is becoming more scarce every year as banks focus on recruiting from intern classes or interns from other banks.

Other types of firm (consulting, accounting, asset management etc) however, don't have the same pin-point focus on recruiting interns - you'd be fine gunning for grad for those firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant! I'm mainly focusing on AM which bodes well I hope. I'll stick with interns purely because I have no chance of getting a grad offer with the internship I have in hand.
Do we stand a better chance if we apply early / one of the first few candidates to apply as soon as these apps open ?
Original post by stealth_writer
Do we stand a better chance if we apply early / one of the first few candidates to apply as soon as these apps open ?

The earlier, the better as it is first come, first served. You are more likely to get an offer if you apply early as there are more spaces available. I do not think anything is open yet though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
The earlier, the better as it is first come, first served. You are more likely to get an offer if you apply early as there are more spaces available. I do not think anything is open yet though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for clearing that up for me .

So best to get the apps in as soon as they open, to increase my chances !
if we apply early, aren't we in competition with the people who are most eager, well informed, enthusiastic etc. i.e won't competition be of a much stronger quality when applying immediately as opposed to waiting a month or so, when people who may just be chancing their arm apply, i.e slightly lower quality competiion?
Original post by econibpe
if we apply early, aren't we in competition with the people who are most eager, well informed, enthusiastic etc. i.e won't competition be of a much stronger quality when applying immediately as opposed to waiting a month or so, when people who may just be chancing their arm apply, i.e slightly lower quality competiion?

You're looking too far into it. A month will not drastically change the average applicant profile, you'll still be competing with thousands of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
if this is a legit thread - someone like this comment so i can find the thread again
Original post by tazza ma razza
if this is a legit thread - someone like this comment so i can find the thread again

You're not a penultimate student tho, it won't be of much use

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You're not a penultimate student tho, it won't be of much use

Posted from TSR Mobile

asking on behalf of my cousin ( + also for me to get an idea of where people are applying (ie firms apart from IB/AM/IM places and the steps/hurdles we have to pass to get the internship as each firm is slightly different)
Original post by tazza ma razza
asking on behalf of my cousin ( + also for me to get an idea of where people are applying (ie firms apart from IB/AM/IM places and the steps/hurdles we have to pass to get the internship as each firm is slightly different)

Fair play.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do a lot of banks accept final year applicants guys ? Or is it only the minority ?

Thanks

Quick Reply