The Student Room Group

Thinking about dropping out of sixth form and getting a job9

I'm 16 and I'm only doing two a levels, I just generally dislike school and the workload (although I'm ahead of everyone else) I just find it stressful and having anxiety just makes it 100x worse. I prefer working 8 hours a day doing something I enjoy rather than sit and do coursework for hours on end all day (I'm a bit slow in terms of doing coursework)

School just makes me miserable and stressed, even my parents started to notice how miserable and stressed I was and they said that I could drop out and get a job?

I'm currently thinking about it, I'm strongly interested and have a broad knowledge in IT/Computing but school or college isn't for me - I could work in a PC/IT store full time and repeat my maths gcse at college? Advice please? I currently have 4 Gcses and looking to repeat my maths gcse.. Could I get a job and repeat the maths at a college?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IrishStudent46
I'm 16 and I'm only doing two a levels, I just generally dislike school and the workload (although I'm ahead of everyone else) I just find it stressful and having anxiety just makes it 100x worse. I prefer working 8 hours a day doing something I enjoy rather than sit and do coursework for hours on end all day (I'm a bit slow in terms of doing coursework)

School just makes me miserable and stressed, even my parents started to notice how miserable and stressed I was and they said that I could drop out and get a job?

I'm currently thinking about it, I'm strongly interested and have a broad knowledge in IT/Computing but school or college isn't for me - I could work in a PC/IT store full time and repeat my maths gcse at college? Advice please

Its best not to leave education at such a young age, I reckon.
You should go for an apprenticeship.
I have a friend who joined some company for an apprenticeship and worked as the IT Admin for them after his GCSE's. He earns quite a bit for his age and basically has a job as well as gaining useful experience.
You don't even have the minimum number of GCSEs to be studying A Levels so unless there is exceptional circumstances it is not suprising that you find the workload for A Levels to be very high.However dropping out is unfortunately not that simple, and getting a full time job with no training (which is why apprenticeships are fine) is unfortunately illegal as everyone must be in education or training until they're 18 (not 100% as to whether this is 18th birthday or end of academic year in which you turn 18).
There are also options other than work or A levels such as an apprenticeship, or a different kind of college course such as a BTEC, however as you only have 4 GCSEs you may struggle to be accepted onto level 3 courses, so you'd probably be better off looking at level 2 courses that have the opportunity to continue into level 3 after completion.You can definitely retake GCSE Maths alongside an apprenticeship or college course and will be required to do so if you have achieved lower than a C.
In the north of Ireland the age is 16 to leave education and start working
In the north of Ireland the age is 16 to leave education and start working

sorry saw A levels and presumed you were in England.
In that case it should be possible to retake GCSE Maths while working full time (although you'd probably be the youngest person on the course by a number of years). Unfortunately it isn't going to be easy to get a full time job however as you have very little experience and poor GCSEs, and any retail job you do manage to get won't be 8 hours a day Mon-Fri.
It's definitely not going to be as simple as asking the nearest PC store (especially as many PC stores sell loans or other financial products meaning that staff have to be 18) for a job, and you will have to broaden your options considerably to include other retail sectors, as well as food service jobs, and possibly more manual jobs. Mcdonalds would probably be a potential employer...
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm currently thinking about it, I'm strongly interested and have a broad knowledge in IT/Computing but school or college isn't for me - I could work in a PC/IT store full time and repeat my maths gcse at college? Advice please? I currently have 4 Gcses and looking to repeat my maths gcse.. Could I get a job and repeat the maths at a college?

I would consider just doing an apprenticeship.
lucky for you, in the field you're interested in, (ICT). there are hundreds of different apprenticeships.

I would consider doing a level 3 apprenticeship in anything you're interested in, maybe web designing.

after the level 3 apprenticeship, you'll have what is equivalent to 3 A levels.

from there I would recommend a 3 year apprenticeship with TFL as a software developer.

you'll start off from 17k and end up at 25k. then if you're offered a full time job from tfl, you'd get over 40k.
that is the current position one of my friends are at.

this is all just as example of what kind of route you can get into.

don't go through a path where you'd end up in a dead end job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you should continue with your studies instead of dropping out
Reply 7
Like the others have said try look into apprenticeships.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks man.
Original post by unaManzana
I would consider just doing an apprenticeship.
lucky for you, in the field you're interested in, (ICT). there are hundreds of different apprenticeships.

I would consider doing a level 3 apprenticeship in anything you're interested in, maybe web designing.

after the level 3 apprenticeship, you'll have what is equivalent to 3 A levels.

from there I would recommend a 3 year apprenticeship with TFL as a software developer.

you'll start off from 17k and end up at 25k. then if you're offered a full time job from tfl, you'd get over 40k.
that is the current position one of my friends are at.

this is all just as example of what kind of route you can get into.

don't go through a path where you'd end up in a dead end job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest