The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I need advice on applying to King's for the 4 year course. I have graduated with a 2.1 and got 2260/ Band 1 in my UKCAT. My question is that will my UKCAT score make my application competitive against people applying with a 1st class degree? Also, does King's look at the actual percentage mark you get for your degree since mine was on the upper border of the 2.1 classification. Thanks :smile:
Original post by plutojupitermars
I need advice on applying to King's for the 4 year course. I have graduated with a 2.1 and got 2260/ Band 1 in my UKCAT. My question is that will my UKCAT score make my application competitive against people applying with a 1st class degree? Also, does King's look at the actual percentage mark you get for your degree since mine was on the upper border of the 2.1 classification. Thanks :smile:

Babygirl your ukcat Is quite good
Original post by YouHaveProblems
Babygirl your ukcat Is quite good

Thanks :smile: So you think it's a good idea applying even though I will be competing against 1st class degrees? I'm just worried since KCL explicitly state that UKCAT is not the sole indicator for interview selection.
Thanks :smile: So you think it's a good idea applying even though I will be competing against 1st class degrees? I'm just worried since KCL explicitly state that UKCAT is not the sole indicator for interview selection.

Babygirl x

Lol to baby girl. So from reading their website 100x, and emailing admission (though admittedly not about the 2.1 Q), I believe, while obviously having a first is great, a 2.1 with a high UKCAT (we have the same score btw!) and a solid PS/ reference will be enough. What King's means by the UKCAT not being the sole indicator is that they like to take a holistic approach in looking at your app - so they'll use UKCAT first most likely and make some cuts and then make sure we're not complete idiots my looking at our degree (also 2.1 haha) and PS/ref. At least that's what I got from all their info and reading a bunch of TSR threads!

Best of luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does kings teach anatomy well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lumosbludger183
Lol to baby girl. So from reading their website 100x, and emailing admission (though admittedly not about the 2.1 Q), I believe, while obviously having a first is great, a 2.1 with a high UKCAT (we have the same score btw!) and a solid PS/ reference will be enough. What King's means by the UKCAT not being the sole indicator is that they like to take a holistic approach in looking at your app - so they'll use UKCAT first most likely and make some cuts and then make sure we're not complete idiots my looking at our degree (also 2.1 haha) and PS/ref. At least that's what I got from all their info and reading a bunch of TSR threads!

Best of luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :smile: I guess I can never be too sure about a choice haha. But considering Kings might consider me for a 5 year course if I get rejected at the interview stage is very tempting. It's like a choice and a half for one.
Good luck to you too!!
I'm applying to Kings as an International Student:

A100 Course
My PS is pretty well written
IB predicted is 39 overall with 7,6,6,5 at HL and 6,6 at SL
UKCAT score was pretty low, 1780 Band 2

What r ur thoughts???
Original post by falreefy
I'm applying to Kings as an International Student:

A100 Course
My PS is pretty well written
IB predicted is 39 overall with 7,6,6,5 at HL and 6,6 at SL
UKCAT score was pretty low, 1780 Band 2

What r ur thoughts???
Babygirl I'm not sure because your ukcat is really quite low. 593 normally competitive score is around 650
And I'm sure international is really competitive.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks! :smile: I guess I can never be too sure about a choice haha. But considering Kings might consider me for a 5 year course if I get rejected at the interview stage is very tempting. It's like a choice and a half for one.
Good luck to you too!!

Babygirl its obviously good but I heard it's extremely competitive. I don't have a clue about anymore though as I'm not graduated, babygirl x
Hey all.

I want to apply to Kings, but should I apply?

A-levels: 3A's
GCSE: 5A*,5A and a C in french
UKCAT : Average 713 (2140) Got 520 in VR
Decent work experience, taking gap year to gain experience in caring environment
UKCAT in the 70th percentile (1970). Thoughts?
Original post by Marina Stomeo

Since it's in the 70th percentile, go for it! :smile:
Original post by crystalni

Thanks!
Original post by crystalni

By the way the different sections are

VR - 700
AR - 630
QR - 640

STJ - BAND 3
By the way the different sections are

VR - 700
AR - 630
QR - 640

STJ - BAND 3

Bit risky to apply with a band 3 in SJT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't decide between edmp and A100 with 650 ukcat band 2 (7th decile), A*A*A* prediction and 2 A*8A GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ended up not applying to here
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 238
Hi
I am applying to Kings
My stats are
International student from Canada
Predicted
95/95/95 chem/Bio/math
89/89/89 Eng/Fren/history
UKCAT 700/890/900 VR/AR/QA SJT band 2
Exp in care setting/ coaching etc

Any advice on my chances

Thanks

656 is quite alright, just make sure your other academics are great

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending