The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Course Applying: PsychologyA2 subjects: Psychology, Maths, Further Maths, Politics
GCSE grades: 1A* 7 Bs and 1 C (due to extenuating circumstances)
AS grades: AAAA
A2 predicted grades: A*A*AA
Other unis considering/applying to: UCL, Kings College, Cardiff and Glasgow
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I like how you guys have similar looking grades bet you guys go really good schools...my schools average a level grade is D at AS got 5 As and on contextual offers list 2017...so thts considered for applications to...i just think the differnce between some schools in certain areas is so large and then now more grammar schools
Original post by MathsMPhys
I like how you guys have similar looking grades bet you guys go really good schools...my schools average a level grade is D at AS got 5 As and on contextual offers list 2017...so thts considered for applications to...i just think the differnce between some schools in certain areas is so large and then now more grammar schools

Where is this "contextual offers list 2017"??
Original post by DarkEnergy

Should i send it to you
Should i send it to you

Yes please mate, my college is quite bad so I wanna see if it's on that list
This is the 2016 one for some reason can download 2017 one
This is the 2016 one for some reason can download 2017 one

Cheers m8.. what a surprise my college is on there haha. Also I found this 2017 one on Manchester's website:

http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=29623

Something I don't get about these lists is that they include independent and grammar schools.. I feel like it should only be non-selective state schools.
(edited 7 years ago)
Here i got the 2017 one now
How didnt you know about these lists aha .. yhh ikr it bases it on how badddddd it is so those grammar schools must be slacking hard
Original post by DarkEnergy

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that MathsMPhys is refering to the Bristol contextual offer school list?

My school isn't that bad, but it's not great; and it's on that list.
Original post by tyunnos
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that MathsMPhys is refering to the Bristol contextual offer school list?

My school isn't that bad, but it's not great; and it's on that list.

It bases it on the average Alevel grade per candidate and actually every uni has the list...they use it to compare applicants..they have a list of schools and the schools average grades and stuff so its actually more detailed..doesnt mean all of them lower reqs just means if your schools avg grades a D and you're way above that they consider it more and are more likely to give offer
It bases it on the average Alevel grade per candidate and actually every uni has the list...they use it to compare applicants..they have a list of schools and the schools average grades and stuff so its actually more detailed..doesnt mean all of them lower reqs just means if your schools avg grades a D and you're way above that they consider it more and are more likely to give offer

Oh okay cool, apologies.
Do you know if your school is specfically on the St Andrews list?
How do you find out?:smile:
I know that different unis use different criteria
Original post by tyunnos
Oh okay cool, apologies.
Do you know if your school is specfically on the St Andrews list?
How do you find out?:smile:
I know that different unis use different criteria

You could prob find it somewhere on their site tbh
I'm in Scotland so our qualifications are a little bit different :smile:
Course Applying: MA Mathematics
SQA Highers: English, Maths, Music, History, Religious Moral and Philosophical Studies (AAAAA)
National 5s: same as above but add on a B in Art
Predicted grades for this year: A in Advanced Higher Maths, A in Higher Geography, B in Higher Media
Extracurriculars: Go4SET, EMID (Enterprising Maths in Dundee), then going back twice as a senior to help with these, Prefect, House Captain, public speaking competitions, classroom assistant in junior maths classes, Sutton Trust Summer School, doing an Open University module through the YASS programme
Other unis applying to: Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow & Strathclyde

St Andrews is my first choice and I'd really love to get in! My only problem is because I live so close, it's easier on my family's finances if I commute rather than live in student accommodation. I'm worried that this will completely kill any social life I may have if I get in!
Another Scottish applicant 👋🏽
Course applying: modern history and economics
Nat5s AAAAAAAA
Highers AAAAA (maths, English, history, modern studies, economics)
Predicted AAA advanced highers (modern studies, economics, history)
Extra curriculars: debating, public speaking, model un, general reading stuff
Other unis applying to: Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Edinburgh
I would have but I've pretty much got my heart set on St. Andrews so I didn't see the point in putting myself under more pressure for them haah
I'm definitely applying even though I don't have straight A's. :smile: Just to see.
Current grades achieved are AABB at higher, and I'm studying an additional higher and advanced higher history this year. :smile:
I'm applying to history!
I'm hoping for a conditional but we will just have to see.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Shadow Hunters
I'm definitely applying even though I don't have straight A's. :smile:
Current grades achieved are AABB at higher, and I'm studying an additional higher and advanced higher history this year. :smile:
I am meeting minimum requirements currently so I'm happy but I don't know if AAAB is the requirement from S5, they said for international relations it is. -_-
But I am applying to history now so it's not the same, given how competitive international relations is I am not sure if it is different for history since it's not written in the prospectus that it's really competitive.
Scottish history can't be that competitive?
( sorry, I don't know which history course i am applying for, Scottish is just an example. :smile: )

From what I can see all the single honors history courses are AAAB, but I don't know if that's from end of S5 just what's on the website
Original post by Lauren1498x
From what I can see all the single honors history courses are AAAB, but I don't know if that's from end of S5 just what's on the website

Same, I read the prospectus and it said AAAB but at a UCAS higher education exhibition, I was told it was from S5 for international relations. So I'll have to email admissions. They say they consider all aspects of the application anyway so I'm still gonna try. It's not fair to accept A-levels that are from final year and not highers. -___- Even Oxford accept resits. :smile:
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Same, I read the prospectus and it said AAAB but at a UCAS higher education exhibition, I was told it was from S5 for international relations. So I'll have to email admissions. They say they consider all aspects of the application anyway so I'm still gonna try. It's not fair to accept A-levels that are from final year and not highers. -___- Even Oxford accept resits. :smile:

Will they not accept extra ones in S6? I know if you don't meet the minimum requirements at S5 at Glasgow for some courses they give out on AAAAAA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending