The Student Room Group

Is cell cycle controlled by Cdks or proto-oncogenes and tumour suppressor genes? thnx

I've read that progression through cell cycle is regulated at checkpoints by cyclin-dependent kinases but now I'm told that proto-oncogenes & tumour suppressor genes are responsible for telling a cell whether to arrest the cycle or to divide (respectively). How are these two statements compatible?

btw im first year medicine

thanks so much! x
Reply 1
Well proto-oncogenes= normal genes coding for a protein that somehow when activated lead to cell cycle progression. Therefore, cdks can be considered as oncogenes. Also other proteins that are oncogenes may be coding for proteins that lead to the activation and production of cdks and cyclins.

Tumour suppressor genes code for proteins that inhibit cell cycle progression and may inhibit production of cdks, inhibit the pathway that leads to activation of cdks or lead the cell to undergo apoptosis i.e. Programmed cell death, e.g. If there is a lot of damage in the genome, to protect from uncontrolled growth
Reply 2
Original post by alkyone
Well proto-oncogenes= normal genes coding for a protein that somehow when activated lead to cell cycle progression. Therefore, cdks can be considered as oncogenes. Also other proteins that are oncogenes may be coding for proteins that lead to the activation and production of cdks and cyclins.

Tumour suppressor genes code for proteins that inhibit cell cycle progression and may inhibit production of cdks, inhibit the pathway that leads to activation of cdks or lead the cell to undergo apoptosis i.e. Programmed cell death, e.g. If there is a lot of damage in the genome, to protect from uncontrolled growth

thank you!! but do you mean cdks can be considered proto-oncogenes? and do you mean proto-oncogenes may be coding for protins that lead to the activation and production of cdks and cyclins?
Reply 3
Original post by Daffodill
thank you!! but do you mean cdks can be considered proto-oncogenes? and do you mean proto-oncogenes may be coding for protins that lead to the activation and production of cdks and cyclins?

yep exactly to both of these. Oncogenes are basically mutated proto-oncogenes, with the ability to result in a tumour. I'd say have another look at the basics of cell cycle control. All proto-oncogenes are involved in that process somehow.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending