The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Pleased that the match is underway and the weather hasn't had too much impact yet. Sounds like the rain may stay away till later in the afternoon.

Bangladesh started well in the first 15 overs. Run rate a little slow but it's a tough slow wicket (they think 250 is par/good score). At 134/3 after 27 overs.

Only worry is that Mushfiqur Rahim and Sabbir haven't been in great form and both are currently in.

Bangadesh have been rotating the strike well and all the wickets seem to have come from poor shots/bit unlucky rather than quality bowling from England.

If we can get another 50+ runs over the next 10 overs and not lose more than a wicket or two, we could finish with a decent score..

Fingers crossed! :biggrin:
Bangladesh finish on 277/6 which seems to be a slightly above par score for this stadium. Only 33 ODIs played here but that total is the 4th highest.

Hopefully the weather doesn't have a role since it should be an interesting finish to a tense series!
Original post by Zerforax
Bangladesh finish on 277/6 which seems to be a slightly above par score for this stadium. Only 33 ODIs played here but that total is the 4th highest.

Hopefully the weather doesn't have a role since it should be an interesting finish to a tense series!

I reckon it's a match winning score, should be a cracker of a final. Good luck to both teams. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zerforax

I'd back England to do it with their normal XI however with Hales, Roy, Root, Morgan missing, it could be close. (Hopefully it will be though so it will still be on when I get home and can watch it)
Original post by Enginerd.
I reckon it's a match winning score, should be a cracker of a final. Good luck to both teams. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Ellie419
I'd back England to do it with their normal XI however with Hales, Roy, Root, Morgan missing, it could be close. (Hopefully it will be though so it will still be on when I get home and can watch it)

England openers started really well. On course so far.
Reply 1845
Unsurprising SA recall David Miller in place of Farhaan Behardien, and also bring back Dale Steyn, Kagiso Rabada and Imran Tahir. It's a shame Aaron Phangiso and Dwaine Pretorius had to make way, but Abbott is on such form.

Bangladesh did well to reach 277, to be honest. I make that a formidable score, and it's surprising they achieved that total without a headline-grabbing score. Their order was consistent, though, and the opening stand set them up incredibly well, despite Moeen and Rashid enjoying turn and proving inexpensive. The latter in particular was very good, despite Rahman's unbeaten half-century, and posted his best ever ODI figures of 4-43.

I'd have played Dawson rather than Plunkett, personally, because we saw Rashid chip in with vital wickets at vital times - even with some poor deliveries. Bangladesh were really well set, on 106 for 2 in the 23rd over, but Stokes broke the stand and Moeen deserved to pick up a scalp for the lack of runs he conceded and I was glad he did so by dismissing Shakib Al Hasan.

If anything can be detracted from the hosts, it was their lack of power hitting in the middle overs, with ten overs going by without them posting a boundary.
wish mustafizur rahman was playing :/
Breath taking performance by India to wrap up the series 3-0 vs Kiwis ( albeit weakend side) . hard to establish a man of the match with Kohlis imperious 200 , or rahanes dazling strokeplay, or Ashwins now almost regular 13 wicket haul, his strike rate currently stands at sub 50, something that till now was only 1980s and 90s legendary fast bowler territory
Original post by Angry Bird
wish mustafizur rahman was playing :/

Yea he's been the main difference in the recent series we've won.

Gutted about the result, especially when the first ODI we should've won..

Bangladesh did well with the batting but no one really pushed on. Never really troubled England with the bowling in terms of taking enough wickets or tying up the batsmen and keeping it tight. Pretty well timed and controlled by England in the end.

Frustrating but the lack of cricket in the last 6 months (nothing between the T20 world cup in March and Afganistan/England series this September) is always going to mean we're not at our best imo.

BPL will be played after the Test series with England and then New Zealand tour in December so at least there will be more playing time for the next few months.
(edited 7 years ago)
A few Cricketers calling for Test Cricket rankings to be determined by Tests not played at home. Absolutely agree.
Reply 1850
Well, there we go. Bangladesh's impressive white-ball home record is over - and England found it pretty comfortable, but the hosts can take heart from a very spirited showing and they definitely played their part in an entertaining series.

It's remarkable we even got play, considering the forecast yesterday, and England will be pleased with how they got to the target after Bangladesh posed an impressive score in the first innings. Roy's injury made me concerned, all the more so when Vince went cheaply (surely Hales' position is safe?), but Stokes was exceptional and definitely deserved his Man of the Series Award.

Stokes and Buttler are a great partnership to lead this white-ball team. Jos continues to thrive with the bat, and he did it again throughout this series. The pair of them were aggressive - overly so, in the second match - and they provoked wicket after wicket with clever, shrewd and risky field placings. Stokes seems to thrive with the added responsibility. He is bad cop, and Buttler is good cop, but each are exceptional and really showing their worth. In truth, Stokes was probably under-achieving with the white-ball and bat during limited overs cricket, but he has repaid Bayliss' faith and really shone during this series. Hopefully he is coming into his ODI and T20I prime. He owed the side a few runs - but he delivered in Bangladesh.

Sam Billings and Ben Duckett will grab the headlines, and rightly so. The former definitely doesn't deserve to be fourth-choice wicket-keeper in this England side. In any other generation, he'd walk into the team. He has played white-ball cricket all over the world and shone, and I'm chuffed he impressed today. You've got to say Buttler, Bairstow and Duckett are all probably ahead of Billings in terms of the pecking order when it comes to the gloves, and largely because the latter is such a breath-taking cricketer, which he showed at times today.

Once again, Bangladesh failed to do the basics right - especially in the field - and were punished. England have scary strength in depth now, in truth. I expect Roy, Root and Hales all to return for India, likely in place of Bairstow, Vince and Billings, and I expect Morgan will replace Duckett unless the latter plays in the Tests and scores heavily.
Reply 1851
Awesome from SA, who inflict Australia's first-ever five-match ODI series whitewash.

Question marks will no doubt surround the Australian pace attack again, and rightly so. Roussow was excellent, posting a 178-run fourth-wicket stand with JP Duminy after de Kock and Hashim Amla were dismissed by Mennie, who endured a nightmare debut on this tour but responded with two prize scalps today, after being brought into the side for Hastings.

Marsh was incredibly naive while bowling, deploying full-tosses galore, and was duly punished, and Adam Zampa and Head's part-time offspin were completely neutralised by a flat, benign track.

Warner did his best to spearhead the chase, but it was always out of reach and the Australian order couldn't keep up with the run rate or get anywhere near the pace SA exhibited during their innings. Warner ended with 173 - six short of a career-best - and was lucky to even reach that figure, in truth. Amla dropped him off Rabada, when he was on 11.

Tahir provoked the sort of nightmares which SL's spinners did on their previous series against Australia, and playing spin is clearly this Australian side's Achiles heel. There were a couple of good stands from the tourists - Finch and Warner posted 72, before Head and Warner racked up 90 - but they lost three wickets for just two runs, and the innings was out of their hands.
A few Cricketers calling for Test Cricket rankings to be determined by Tests not played at home. Absolutely agree.

Do test cricket rankings matter unless there is to be some form of two tier system?

One day with seedings or draws for tournaments certainly, and today's England series win should count more than a home one.
Original post by barnetlad
Do test cricket rankings matter unless there is to be some form of two tier system?

One day with seedings or draws for tournaments certainly, and today's England series win should count more than a home one.

Whether a two-tier system (which I don't agree with) or the current one, away Test wins should hold a lot more value then the home ones. We need Test Cricket to become more competitive but we are getting too used to home teams winning everytime to due the unfair advantage. It's not feasible in the long term as a few teams will hover around the top ranking majority of the time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Whether a two-tier system (which I don't agree with) or the current one, away Test wins should hold a lot more value then the home ones. We need Test Cricket to become more competitive but we are getting too used to home teams winning everytime to due the unfair advantage. It's not feasible in the long term as a few teams will hover around the top ranking majority of the time.

dumb idea - no sport weights an away victory on points above a home one. all teams over a period of time will play equal home and away. and in all sports , home conditions will alwaysbe familiar to one team and unfamiliar to another - doesnt mean any country has an unfair advantage over a full schedule . your idea would simply encourage a dull repitition of uniform pitch type accross the globe in a time when test cricket viewing is already at its lowest level. mcc are trying to make the game more exciting not less. personally i love the idea that you can play in england and see a seam bowler hoop the ball around under cloud who is then pretty toothless without that assitance on a dry pitch in sri lanka where a skilled spinner is the key tot he match. Its the variance of conditions around the globe that really prove the ability of the top echelon of cricketers
Reply 1855
Pakistan vs WI in the first Test of their series tomorrow.

It's in the UAE, and whilst the hosts are no longer the number one ranked Test team, there will still be plenty of eyes on the match as it Pakistan's 400th Test match and only the second ever day-night Test, following the Australia-New Zealand match in Adelaide last year.

Pink-ball matches have been met with mixed responses, but Misbah says they are the future, and Holder is urging fans to give it a chance.

The UAE has hosted pink-ball cricket before, and I expect Pakistan to win the series comfortably, even without Younis Khan. Babar Azam will showcase his talents at Test level, and Mohammad Nawaz may make his debut.
Original post by Chakede
dumb idea - no sport weights an away victory on points above a home one. all teams over a period of time will play equal home and away. and in all sports , home conditions will alwaysbe familiar to one team and unfamiliar to another - doesnt mean any country has an unfair advantage over a full schedule . your idea would simply encourage a dull repitition of uniform pitch type accross the globe in a time when test cricket viewing is already at its lowest level. mcc are trying to make the game more exciting not less. personally i love the idea that you can play in england and see a seam bowler hoop the ball around under cloud who is then pretty toothless without that assitance on a dry pitch in sri lanka where a skilled spinner is the key tot he match. Its the variance of conditions around the globe that really prove the ability of the top echelon of cricketers

We'll agree to disagree.
Original post by Mackay
Pakistan vs WI in the first Test of their series tomorrow.

It's in the UAE, and whilst the hosts are no longer the number one ranked Test team, there will still be plenty of eyes on the match as it Pakistan's 400th Test match and only the second ever day-night Test, following the Australia-New Zealand match in Adelaide last year.

Pink-ball matches have been met with mixed responses, but Misbah says they are the future, and Holder is urging fans to give it a chance.

The UAE has hosted pink-ball cricket before, and I expect Pakistan to win the series comfortably, even without Younis Khan. Babar Azam will showcase his talents at Test level, and Mohammad Nawaz may make his debut.

Should be an exciting series. Not looking forward to the day/night test though.
Reply 1858
Just reading up on the Phil Hughes inquest case, and there seems to be plenty wrong with Australian cricket right now. Some of it is sad, some of it borderline funny.

Their performances against SL and SA were a joke this summer, to be honest. Smith has now lost NINE - yes, nine - of his last 11 matches leading the side. That is a startling statistic, especially when he went so long unbeaten after taking up the captaincy role.

Mennie, Tremaine and Boland are nowhere near international standard, yet they comprise Australia's toothless bowling attack, and I'm not sure how Hastings is still being persevered with. He was best around five years ago, when he wasn't getting an international look in.

SA were missing crucial players after crucial players, but still were dominant and put Australia to the sword all too easily, winning all five matches so comfortably, including two by 200+ runs.

Without Warner and the occasional brilliance of Smith, Australia wouldn't have even got close to SA - and that's a worrying sign. All of Aaron Finch, George Bailey, Travis Head and Mitchell Marsh managed only one half-century and little else.

Without Starc and Hazlewood, Australia lack for threat and offense.
Original post by Mackay
Just reading up on the Phil Hughes inquest case, and there seems to be plenty wrong with Australian cricket right now. Some of it is sad, some of it borderline funny.

Their performances against SL and SA were a joke this summer, to be honest. Smith has now lost NINE - yes, nine - of his last 11 matches leading the side. That is a startling statistic, especially when he went so long unbeaten after taking up the captaincy role.

Mennie, Tremaine and Boland are nowhere near international standard, yet they comprise Australia's toothless bowling attack, and I'm not sure how Hastings is still being persevered with. He was best around five years ago, when he wasn't getting an international look in.

SA were missing crucial players after crucial players, but still were dominant and put Australia to the sword all too easily, winning all five matches so comfortably, including two by 200+ runs.

Without Warner and the occasional brilliance of Smith, Australia wouldn't have even got close to SA - and that's a worrying sign. All of Aaron Finch, George Bailey, Travis Head and Mitchell Marsh managed only one half-century and little else.

Without Starc and Hazlewood, Australia lack for threat and offense.

Australia don't seem to adapt. They are fine on flat quick pitches but as soon as the conditions aren't what they are suited to their batting line up let them down. Steve Smith is an excellent example, brilliant batsman scoring bucket loads of runs, comes over to England, gets worked out and undone by the swing because he didn't adapt to the conditions.

Quick Reply

Latest