The Student Room Group

a level maths??

Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and we're making our a level choices this month (ugh).

I've 100% decided I want to do english literature, but another subject I'm considering is maths. I'm not in top set for maths so I'm not doing FSMQ, but I generally get 95ish% in exams and I'm predicted an A* for GCSE, not to mention I really enjoy maths as a subject. Like, I genuinely get enjoyment from doing maths??
Anyway, I've looked around on here and some people say it's piss easy whereas others say it's one of the hardest subjects and it's made me so confused! I looked at the syllabus and not gonna lie, some of the formula looks terrifying. I just wanted to ask, exactly how hard is maths at a level? I know it varies from person to person, but how did you find the step up from GCSE? Will I completely perish during the course of it because I'm not doing further maths gsce or fsmq?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd recommend maths, it opens a lot of doors.
Tbh you will notice a jump up from GCSE but with time you should be fine. Just make sure you're always on top of revision/work etc.
Can't answer that for you. As you said some find it easier than others. I found it good and got a B at AS with virtually no revision after coming off an A* at GCSE. I should pull it up this year though.
Do maths. It will open a ton of doors from engineering to economics.
Strong subjects such as: maths, further, biology, chemistry, physics, economics, history, english and geography are good.
Original post by humbert-humbert
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and we're making our a level choices this month (ugh).

I've 100% decided I want to do english literature, but another subject I'm considering is maths. I'm not in top set for maths so I'm not doing FSMQ, but I generally get 95ish% in exams and I'm predicted an A* for GCSE, not to mention I really enjoy as maths as a subject. Like, I genuinely get enjoyment from doing maths??
Anyway, I've looked around on here and some people say it's piss easy whereas others say it's one of the hardest subjects and it's made me so confused! I looked at the syllabus and not gonna lie, some of the formula looks terrifying. I just wanted to ask, exactly how hard is maths at a level? I know it varies from person to person, but how did you find the step up from GCSE? Will I completely perish during the course of it because I'm not doing further maths gsce or fsmq?

Thanks!

A level maths is a very valuable subject that as others have said can help you take a wide range of directions in your future.
Most people taking A level maths have not done a FSMQ or or a further maths gcse. While doing either of these will make the step up to A level maths easier, neither is anywhere near essential.
With an A* at GCSE there is no reason why you should not gain a respectable grade in A level maths if you put the effort in.
The question you need to ask is how A level maths fits in with your plans for future study/work and whether there are other more relevant subjects that you are confifdent of performing as well/better in.

I've 100% decided I want to do english literature, but another subject I'm considering is maths. I'm not in top set for maths so I'm not doing FSMQ, but I generally get 95ish% in exams and I'm predicted an A* for GCSE, not to mention I really enjoy as maths as a subject. Like, I genuinely get enjoyment from doing maths??

Thanks!

If you get an A* in GCSE Maths then the beginning of the course will be fine it won't be to vigorous just keep on top of it as soon as you start then you can do good.
Reply 6
You should be fine with AS/A2 maths if you're getting A*s at GCSE. I got an A in my maths GCSE and then a B at AS without too much work at all (just a few past papers) and I'm now predicted an A for my A2.

People with an A* at maths GCSE tend to do well at A-level. My friend (who has an A* from GCSE) got a B at AS too and he did no revision and had tonsillitis!!
Do it if you enjoy it and have A*s

AS is harder, but it's alright, quite simple to get an A in C1 and C2 if you practice, I found the applied module the hardest

A2 Core papers are significantly harder to get high marks in, but again it's just practice
Original post by Turtlebunny
Do it if you enjoy it and have A*s

AS is harder, but it's alright, quite simple to get an A in C1 and C2 if you practice, I found the applied module the hardest

A2 Core papers are significantly harder to get high marks in, but again it's just practice

I'm doing 6 units of maths c1-4 and s1-2
Any tips? I need an A grade minimum. I'm so worried I won't get it
I'm finishing off c1 now, and I WILL do every paper I can find for c1
btw I do edexcel :smile:
You could self-teach gcse further maths over next summer. I wish I had done that because it would have helped a LOT.
Original post by samantham999
I'm doing 6 units of maths c1-4 and s1-2
Any tips? I need an A grade minimum. I'm so worried I won't get it
I'm finishing off c1 now, and I WILL do every paper I can find for c1
btw I do edexcel :smile:

I did the same as you last year, almost
I took the full A-level maths in one year and got an A overall with 88 in C1, 93 in C2, 90 in C3, 76 in C4, 82 in M1 and 71 in S1
I did edexcel too, and i did it this way because this year I'm now doing the full further maths A-level

My advice is probs gonna be the same as anyone else's but I just recommend you practice soooo many questions from the textbooks during the year
If you want to aim for an A* do some solomon and IYGB papers throughout the year, but save the Edexcel ones
Then around March start doing Edexcel papers and wherever you dont understand something, go on exam solutions and watch his video tutorial

With maths you just have to keep on top of it and all the practice you should be doing, its a lot of work to do in one year but if you practice and improve on mistakes youll get better
Original post by jessyjellytot14
You could self-teach gcse further maths over next summer. I wish I had done that because it would have helped a LOT.

I think I might do this! thank you :smile:
Original post by AfcFob
You should be fine with AS/A2 maths if you're getting A*s at GCSE. I got an A in my maths GCSE and then a B at AS without too much work at all (just a few past papers) and I'm now predicted an A for my A2.

People with an A* at maths GCSE tend to do well at A-level. My friend (who has an A* from GCSE) got a B at AS too and he did no revision and had tonsillitis!!

thank you very much! what other subjects are you taking, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by gdunne42
A level maths is a very valuable subject that as others have said can help you take a wide range of directions in your future.
Most people taking A level maths have not done a FSMQ or or a further maths gcse. While doing either of these will make the step up to A level maths easier, neither is anywhere near essential.
With an A* at GCSE there is no reason why you should not gain a respectable grade in A level maths if you put the effort in.
The question you need to ask is how A level maths fits in with your plans for future study/work and whether there are other more relevant subjects that you are confifdent of performing as well/better in.

thank you for this! So is the material in the FSMQ or further maths gcse covered at the beginning of the a level? also yeah, I'm generally an essay subject type person however I'm trying to avoid taking ALL essay subjects because my teachers have advised against it, not to mention I'd like to keep my options open since I'm not 100% sure as to where I want to go in the future.

Thanks!

Great Banter when you get A/B in GCSE Maths/Further Maths and come out with an A* in A level Maths

- Predicted A* for Further Maths 👌
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeahh you should do it , i got an A at Gcse maths & came out with an A , 1 mark off an A* in A level maths so id definitely recommend it tbh!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maths is Life
Great Banter when you get A/B in GCSE Maths/Further Maths and come out with an A* in A level Maths

- Predicted A* for Further Maths 👌

damn that's impressive!! how much work did you put in for that??
Reply 17
thank you very much! what other subjects are you taking, if you don't mind me asking?

Biology and Law, did Psychology AS and hated it so much so I was relieved when i dropped it!
damn that's impressive!! how much work did you put in for that??

Just made the effort to develop an understanding of the topics and all the exam board past papers... - WJEC and little bit of solomon... But solomon papers are boring

Literally anything I didn't get I asked my teachers

I've 100% decided I want to do english literature, but another subject I'm considering is maths. I'm not in top set for maths so I'm not doing FSMQ, but I generally get 95ish% in exams and I'm predicted an A* for GCSE, not to mention I really enjoy maths as a subject. Like, I genuinely get enjoyment from doing maths??

Thanks!

I got an A* in GCSE maths and hardly opened a textbook to get there. I literally slept through half the lessons.
I did AS level maths and it was the biggest jump of all my A levels (I did chemistry, biology and psychology too) I ended up with a C at AS and dropped it. This year I got A*AA in my other A levels so I'm not stupid, but A level maths is bloody difficult.
If you really enjoy it, go for it. If you're doing it because you're good at it and you think its tolerable, then stay away.

Quick Reply

Latest