The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1920
Original post by GavinJR
No worries, good luck with your reference. Definitely Southampton and Newcastle. I would then say Warwick, but their work experience requirements (although i exceed them) are worrying me, and then i'm unsure. Probably Barts or an undergraduate choice (Maybe Southampton again).

What about you?

Thanks, probably Barts, KCL, Dundee and not sure about the final choice. Good luck with your application
Original post by Spudhead
Not even for the 5 year course??

A100, not A101.

I'll take a look at Aberdeen, does it generally accept lower UKCAT? Might be a fair distance to travel to work on a weekend though, I currently live in Hull :/ haha

I think you will not be able to work haha. but finding a job in aberdeen may be possible?

yes i think they only use it for 8% of the app.
Original post by Akz18
Thanks, probably Barts, KCL, Dundee and not sure about the final choice. Good luck with your application

how was your UKCAT?
Original post by Lostperson
I think you will not be able to work haha. but finding a job in aberdeen may be possible?

yes i think they only use it for 8% of the app.

I wouldnt want to commit to Aberdeen but then not have a job lined up, because I would have to drop out anyways. Working alongside studying is the only way I could afford to study 5 year medicine unfortunately.

Just looked and its 6 and a half hour drive from Hull haha.
Reply 1924
how was your UKCAT?

633 and Band 1 in SJ, how about you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Realistically, what are my chances for GEM with 615 on UKCAT and 1st in Biomed degree?

Im currently doing my Masters if that makes any difference.

Hey!

Can I ask what your A level grades are?
Original post by NafNaf39
Hey!

Can I ask what your A level grades are?

Hey, yeah sure....

I have none haha.

I did a foundation year in place of A-levels that allowed me to start my Biomed degree. So that limits the places I can apply to unfortunately.

How about you?
I wouldnt want to commit to Aberdeen but then not have a job lined up, because I would have to drop out anyways. Working alongside studying is the only way I could afford to study 5 year medicine unfortunately.

Just looked and its 6 and a half hour drive from Hull haha.

yeh i can see your predicament ...
its tough. maybe just apply to the ones you want and then if not... there is always next year? x
Hey, yeah sure....

I have none haha.

I did a foundation year in place of A-levels that allowed me to start my Biomed degree. So that limits the places I can apply to unfortunately.

How about you?

I'd say ring Birmingham up straight away (In the morning) and explain your situation. They expect applicants to have a 1st and BBB at A level and I think it was A at GCSE English and Maths (Check the GCSE requirements cause Im a bit fuzzy on them). Also, I'd say ring up Keele and explain your situation...you may have a chance :smile: All applicants cases are different so they might just accept you because of your amazing degree result - can't say for certain though.

All the best!

Some people might say Its a stretch but there's no harm in finding out is there (:
(edited 7 years ago)
yeh i can see your predicament ...
its tough. maybe just apply to the ones you want and then if not... there is always next year? x

Thats probably the best bet, really kicking myself for not doing GAMSAT now though.

And now Im seriously considering taking out 'Future Finance' for Aberdeen too ha. Seen a lot of positive reviews about it, just sucks cos you pay it back whilst studying.

I'd say ring Birmingham up straight away (In the morning) and explain your situation. They expect applicants to have a 1st and BBB at A level and I think it was A at GCSE English and Maths (Check the GCSE requirements cause Im a bit fuzzy on them). Also, I'd say ring up Keele and explain your situation...you may have a chance :smile: All applicants cases are different so they might just accept you because of your amazing degree result - can't say for certain though.

All the best!

Some people might say Its a stretch but there's no harm in finding out is there (:

Hey thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I already tried Birmingham and they wont accept the Foundation Year.

I will definitely check out Keele though thank you!

:biggrin:

EDIT: Just checked Keele, I dont meet the GCSE requirements. I was definitely a late bloomer, or more like I just didnt try in school and came out with mostly C's, two B's in science and an A in business. Maybe I belong on Wall street instead...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Akz18
633 and Band 1 in SJ, how about you?

700 band 2 , are u applying at warwick?
Thats probably the best bet, really kicking myself for not doing GAMSAT now though.

And now Im seriously considering taking out 'Future Finance' for Aberdeen too ha. Seen a lot of positive reviews about it, just sucks cos you pay it back whilst studying.

Hey thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I already tried Birmingham and they wont accept the Foundation Year.

No problem.

When I contacted one uni and explained my situation/background they were willing to waive a particular requirement as long as I got a 1st.

Check this document out. I'm sure it'll help.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Using%20my%202016%20UKCAT%20Result.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone else having a love/hate relationship with their PS?

OMG yes! I keep reading through it thinking of what to improve but I've got nothing. Im sending it off to a cousin to read through now. I'm trying to fit in examples but there's no space.

And my arms are aching because I was babysitting a 2 year old while his mum took her daughter to her swimming class. I had him in the pushchair and he puked everywhere so I cleaned him up with the help of some strangers (who I wanted to hug but I smelt gross thanks to all the puke) and so I had to pick the kid up and hold him until the pushchair was clean enough but then he fell asleep in my arms so I had to hold him because he keeps getting scared while sleeping so he has to be held close to you. :emo:

Have you gotten your reference yet?

EDIT: Just checked Keele, I dont meet the GCSE requirements. I was definitely a late bloomer, or more like I just didnt try in school and came out with mostly C's, two B's in science and an A in business. Maybe I belong on Wall street instead...

Hiya, I came across this future finance company on facebook haha, I dont know much about it and I'm quite nervous about taking out a loan. Do you have any info on the company and what kind of repayments you have to make whilst studying?
Reply 1934
700 band 2 , are u applying at warwick?

Nice score :smile: nope don't have a chance with Warwick VR let me down quite a lot, you?
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
OMG yes! I keep reading through it thinking of what to improve but I've got nothing. Im sending it off to a cousin to read through now. I'm trying to fit in examples but there's no space.

And my arms are aching because I was babysitting a 2 year old while his mum took her daughter to her swimming class. I had him in the pushchair and he puked everywhere so I cleaned him up with the help of some strangers (who I wanted to hug but I smelt gross thanks to all the puke) and so I had to pick the kid up and hold him until the pushchair was clean enough but then he fell asleep in my arms so I had to hold him because he keeps getting scared while sleeping so he has to be held close to you. :emo:

Have you gotten your reference yet?

I've re written it a million and one times. God knows if its good but I feel like it reads better? probably being biased :P

Yup no space whatsoever, I had to delete ONE word because I had gone over the line limit -_-

Aw that sucks. Surprised you didn't puke up especially with how strong vomit smell can be...

Nope. Just sad times. Feel like I'm constantly pestering her but tomorrow is the day where I'm gonna just call her. I gave her everything she needed and still -_-

Is anyone considering the Physicians Associate program?
Original post by eemooz
Hiya, I came across this future finance company on facebook haha, I dont know much about it and I'm quite nervous about taking out a loan. Do you have any info on the company and what kind of repayments you have to make whilst studying?

Hey basically the payments are capped at a maximum of £75 a month whilst studying.

You can pay more if you wish at no extra fee.

Once you graduate the payments go up significantly, depending on the amount you borrowed. You can use the loan calculator (estimator) on their website.

I was looking at borrowing around 24,000. In the hopes that I could pay the extra £3k myself out of savings to cover the first 3 years of tuition.

And work during those 3 years to save up the 9k for tuition in my 4th year. 5th year is obviously paid for by NHS.

And the £8000 yearly student maintenance loan would be used for living expenses.

Is anyone considering the Physicians Associate program?

A lot of my friends are doing that who did Biomed with me.

But to be honest, I feel like its a doctor-wannabe and I would never be fully satisfied in that role.

I also think theres too many students and not enough jobs for it currently, but if you do get it the pay is really good money.
Hey basically the payments are capped at a maximum of £75 a month whilst studying.

You can pay more if you wish at no extra fee.

Once you graduate the payments go up significantly, depending on the amount you borrowed. You can use the loan calculator (estimator) on their website.

I was looking at borrowing around 24,000. In the hopes that I could pay the extra £3k myself out of savings to cover the first 3 years of tuition.

And work during those 3 years to save up the 9k for tuition in my 4th year. 5th year is obviously paid for by NHS.

And the £8000 yearly student maintenance loan would be used for living expenses.

thanks for your reply :smile:*
i just had a look on the calculator, you end up paying so much back :/
yeah youve got a solid plan there, the issue comes after graduation when you have to pay back student loans as well as this, as well as paying for additional exams which cost like thousands.

Is there a criteria that you have to meet to get the 8000? for my undergrad I only got 3100 a year.. :/
Original post by Akz18
Nice score :smile: nope don't have a chance with Warwick VR let me down quite a lot, you?

are you above the VR national cut off?

Quick Reply

Latest