The Student Room Group

Is using a quote in a personal statement a NONO?

In the process of doing/drafting my personal statement right now and I've used a quote which helps back up why I want to study the course, I've heard in the past you shouldn't use quotes and was wondering everyone else's views?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can, but use it only in your opening paragraph as a hook.
Original post by GUMI
You can, but use it only in your opening paragraph as a hook.

That's the way I've used it atm! Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Of course.

So long as the quote is supporting your writing rather than trying to impress on its own.
Original post by Tenisha1999
In the process of doing/drafting my personal statement right now and I've used a quote which help backs up why I want to study the course, I've heard in the past you shouldn't use quotes and was wondering everyone else's views?

Often we advise people to avoid using quotes as they have been used by a lot of applicants so it becomes quite clichéd. I would recommend only including a quote if it is something slightly unusual or something that tells the admissions tutor something important about you as a person. Also consider whether those characters could be put to better use talking about something else.*
At the end of the day it is your personal statement and you need to decide what should be in there. If you feel strongly about the quote, then include it :smile:
Its only worth including if you then say something meaningful about it, ie. your opinion, not theirs.
i don't understand: the whole point of a PS is to talk about your own passion and competence for the subject; why would you waste precious characters soliciting someone else's?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stefano865
Of course.

So long as the quote is supporting your writing rather than trying to impress on its own.

Yeah, I've said it in relation to a key skill needed to pursue the degree. Thanks :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
i don't understand: the whole point of a PS is to talk about your own passion and competence for the subject; why would you waste precious characters soliciting someone else's?

Your first paragraph should be a hook, that is draw the readers attention to your statement. So you can use quotes, anecdotes etc in your first paragraph to add flavor to your whole statement
Original post by Charlotte49
Often we advise people to avoid using quotes as they have been used by a lot of applicants so it becomes quite clichéd. I would recommend only including a quote if it is something slightly unusual or something that tells the admissions tutor something important about you as a person. Also consider whether those characters could be put to better use talking about something else.*
At the end of the day it is your personal statement and you need to decide what should be in there. If you feel strongly about the quote, then include it :smile:

Ngl, the quote I have found is a little cliche, so I might put in my own words how I relate and understand those words rather than directly putting the quote in. Thanks! :smile:
Ngl, the quote I have found is a little cliche, so I might put in my own words how I relate and understand those words rather than directly putting the quote in. Thanks! :smile:

Good plan :smile: I've actually read statements where applicants have disagreed with an element of a quote and made a really interesting argument. It's good to have everything related to you as a person and to talk about what it means to you.
In the process of doing/drafting my personal statement right now and I've used a quote which helps back up why I want to study the course, I've heard in the past you shouldn't use quotes and was wondering everyone else's views?

I've heard using a quote is ok as long its not a big famous quote that everyone has heard of because that'll end up with a bunch of administrators reading the same cliche Steve Jobs quote.

Pick something unique and explain why it applies to your course etc.

The general recommendation is not to use one because too often they're just left dangling at the top of the personal statement with very little connection to the rest of the text and it's just a waste of space. Having said that, I think they can be effective if you tie it in properly to the rest of your personal statement and you think it actually adds something meaningful. I used one in mine and I think that was appropriate.

Well for me, the quote is from a book. Basically I want to pursue Business Management and the quote relates to innovation and tbh it really woke me up and change my way of thinking when I read the quote, because of the impact its had I guess I feel the need to include it?

I get where you're coming from though, I might just explain in a shorter context why I want to study it, not directly using a quote.
I've seen so many people use a quote for the sake of sounding smart. Please, if you want to use a quote, make sure it comes from a relevant and viable source and you can explain precisely what this quote means in your context. The amount of wish you'd washy ******** quotes universities get must be more than excessively, and I do not envy them.
I work for my uni advising students on this topic and we say use a quote only if you found it and it means something to you,if its the first thing that comes up on google then don't. Your quote should be something that the admissions tutors haven't seen a million times. Also we advise against it anyway purely because you really don't have that many characters to talk about yourself. Why would you want to use someone elses words?
Well for me, the quote is from a book. Basically I want to pursue Business Management and the quote relates to innovation and tbh it really woke me up and change my way of thinking when I read the quote, because of the impact its had I guess I feel the need to include it?

I get where you're coming from though, I might just explain in a shorter context why I want to study it, not directly using a quote.

Well I guess most people putting cliched quotes in their PS think they're the only person who could possibly have thought of using that particular quote.

if you're totally convinced it's not a glaring cliche, it's concise and supports what you want to say in your PS...
Original post by GUMI
Your first paragraph should be a hook, that is draw the readers attention to your statement. So you can use quotes, anecdotes etc in your first paragraph to add flavor to your whole statement

So then use anecdotes! I'm not going against the idea of using interesting prose to spice up your PS, I just don't understand using another person's insight to demonstrate your own.

I get the whole "standing on the shoulders of giants" argument, but there are plenty other ways to achieve this effect. Instead of quoting your author, why not explain their work and its impact on yours? That's humility, understanding and impactful prose all rolled up into one.

Just my own opinion ofc, I'm sure countless OxBridge/Ivy league successful personal statements have quotes in them :P
Reply 18
So then use anecdotes! I'm not going against the idea of using interesting prose to spice up your PS, I just don't understand using another person's insight to demonstrate your own.

I get the whole "standing on the shoulders of giants" argument, but there are plenty other ways to achieve this effect. Instead of quoting your author, why not explain their work and its impact on yours? That's humility, understanding and impactful prose all rolled up into one.

Just my own opinion ofc, I'm sure countless OxBridge/Ivy league successful personal statements have quotes in them :P

Agreed. But I mean it is a viable option to consider when writing a PS. Yeah, I didn't use one in mine honestly now that I think of it. xD
I guarantee you that someone else has used the same quote before for the same subject at the same university. That doesn't make it catchy or a good hook - it makes it boring and non-personal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending