The Student Room Group

Best Engineering Universities

What are the best Engineering universities/schools for undergrad? I'm looking specifically for electrical engineering or biomedical engineering, and also please share your opinions of the best unis in terms of academics *and* student life/environment!
Thank you!
Imperial college is arguably the best UK non-Oxbridge Engineering uni. Glasgow and UCL are pretty good too.
I'm assuming you don't want Oxbridge, since the application deadline is pretty much gone now (3 days)
Original post by an_atheist
Imperial college is arguably the best UK non-Oxbridge Engineering uni. Glasgow and UCL are pretty good too.
I'm assuming you don't want Oxbridge, since the application deadline is pretty much gone now (3 days)

Arguably being the operative word. Honestly if you pick anything around in the top 15-20 for the subject you're going to get a similar quality education for engineering.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Arguably being the operative word. Honestly if you pick anything around in the top 15-20 for the subject you're going to get a similar quality education for engineering.

I'm well aware of this, hence the use of the term.

The thing with undergraduate employment atm is that it seems to be as much about where you went as what you did, so going for the ones that have the reputation is probably best long term. No guarantees though.
Original post by tash7827
What are the best Engineering universities/schools for undergrad? I'm looking specifically for electrical engineering or biomedical engineering, and also please share your opinions of the best unis in terms of academics *and* student life/environment!
Thank you!

Imperial is really good for Engineering.
This is a difficult question. From what I have heard in industry, there doesn't seem to be anywhere that actually does a particularly good job of teaching skills and content relevant to actually working as an engineer.

Those who teach engineering degrees, and hence decide the content, are generally academics rather than those who have practised engineering as a profession. This isn't a slight on academics; certainly, what they do is important, and they are highly skilled individuals who we hold in high regard, but academia and academic research really isn't like actually working as an engineer in industry.

Universities are probably more likely to employ those who can submit high quality research to the kind of high impact journals that will boost their research rating, and hence increase their funding, than, say, someone with 20 years of engineering experience. And of course the engineering profession itself hasn't done a particularly good job of the oversight of engineering education lately.

The end result is that degrees, at the moment, tend to be relate more to research than industrial practise.

So, take your pick of universities. It's important that you like the location that the university is based at (some like campus universities, whereas others like city ones, for example), and also that you like the modules on offer. It's certainly useful if the university offers a year in industry sandwich course, or has otherwise good links to industry, too. If it's research you are interested in, then it may also be a good idea to go somewhere that has a strong research output.

The thing with undergraduate employment atm is that it seems to be as much about where you went as what you did...

No, this is completely false.
Imperial and Cambridge are the cream of the crop.

BiomedEng is a bit limited in terms of choices. The only accredited one i found are Southampton (they teach it in conjunction with MechEng) and QMUL which has a low satisfaction rate.
There is also Strathclyde and Glasgow, but neither is accredited as an engineering course which does worry me a bit since it makes jobs harder to land.

For EEEng it is a lot easier. As mentioned before, the next 20 universities are of approximately the same quality. Most RGs will give you a near identical experience. Some non RGs to throw into the mix are Bath, Surrey, Strathclyde, Loughborough, Swansea, and maybe Brunel. Just check UniStats to give you an idea of where the teacing quality is good.
Original post by KardasDragon

BiomedEng is a bit limited in terms of choices. The only accredited one i found are Southampton (they teach it in conjunction with MechEng) and QMUL which has a low satisfaction rate.
There is also Strathclyde and Glasgow, but neither is accredited as an engineering course which does worry me a bit since it makes jobs harder to land.

In general for courses which aren't accredited at unis like those it's because they're geared towards a different type of career, usually academia. It rarely means that it has significantly worse job prospects.
Original post by Helloworld_95
In general for courses which aren't accredited at unis like those it's because they're geared towards a different type of career, usually academia. It rarely means that it has significantly worse job prospects.

This is engineering though. Being a Chartered Engineer significantly increases your salary, and many places won't even hire you if you arent atleast an Incorporated Engineer.

The thing with undergraduate employment atm is that it seems to be as much about where you went as what you did.

Have you got a source for this information please?
Original post by Smack

No, this is completely false.

How is this false when their are employment statistics for grads for universities on Unistats?
Original post by KardasDragon
This is engineering though. Being a Chartered Engineer significantly increases your salary, and many places won't even hire you if you arent atleast an Incorporated Engineer.

Sure but just look at the stats, Glasgow and Soton both have similar graduate prospects with similar proportions going into science and engineering. Clearly Glasgow's take on Biomedical engineering, where accreditation was decided not to be a necessity, has a market.
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
How is this false when their are employment statistics for grads for universities on Unistats?

The existence of employment statistics does not validate that argument.
Original post by tash7827
Thank you!

When I searched this, I found that MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) was the best university to do engineering degree when compared to universities world wide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending