The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Bath for chemical engineering or do I have no chance?

At GCSE I got: Core Science: A
Physics: A
Chemistry: A
Maths: A
English Literature: A
English Language: B
RE: A*Geography: B
Spanish: B
Drama: B
Biology: A
FSMQ Additional Maths B

These GCSE qualifications were achieved at a school which qualifies for educational disadvantage. ( I think, last time I heard it did;however I'm not too sure)

Additionally, I achieved at AS in my first year which were achieved at an institution which DEFINITELY qualifies for educational disadvantage

EPQ: A
Maths: C
Chemistry: D
Biology: B
Drama: C
I resat my AS levels at another school which does not qualify for educational disadvantage.

Maths: A
I am predicted an A* for maths.
Biology: B
I am predicted an A for biology.
Chemistry: A
I am predicted an A for chemistry.
(edited 7 years ago)
c---> A* wut
Reply 2
Original post by citibankrec
c---> A* wut

Although my grades don't show it and I'm going to sound quite arrogant saying this, but it's true. I'm quite good at A level maths, it's odd. I taught myself core one in year 11 in 2 weeks. I never worked well with learning in maths in class and so I taught myself. I had the ability to achieve an A* in my previous school;however, we didn't even have maths books crowded lessons, it wasn't great. Also, I could have worked slightly harder.
Original post by APersonYo
Although my grades don't show it and I'm going to sound quite arrogant saying this, but it's true. I'm quite good at A level maths, it's odd. I taught myself core one in year 11 in 2 weeks. I never worked well with learning in maths in class and so I taught myself. I had the ability to achieve an A* in my previous school;however, we didn't even have maths books crowded lessons, it wasn't great. Also, I could have worked slightly harder.

Tough, No uni will believe it
Reply 4
Original post by citibankrec
Tough, No uni will believe it

Well, if they don't believe it, then can look at my Core 2 UMS: 98/100.
You have AAB at AS-level, predicted A*AA, so might as well apply, not sure what the issue is really.
Reply 6
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
You have AAB at AS-level, predicted A*AA, so might as well apply, not sure what the issue is really.

I'm worried about my GCSEs not being mostly A*s.
Reply 7

Apply, you have 4 other choices.
Reply 8

They really don't matter that much for your application personally. Yours are fine.
Reply 9
Original post by vela1
Apply, you have 4 other choices.

Yeah, that's true. Just worried if I don't get the interview at Manchester. I can't apply to birmingham either because M1 doesn't fit on my time-table at school, sucks tbh. I just want to go to a good university
Yeah, that's true. Just worried if I don't get the interview at Manchester. I can't apply to birmingham either because M1 doesn't fit on my time-table at school, sucks tbh. I just want to go to a good university

Just apply, worst case you get a rejection. It doesn't change the fact you need to put the work in and get your A grades. If you have good A-levels and no offers, you can always just reapply next year and take a gap year.

Or go to Germany and study for free at one of the top 100 unis in the world.

Or apply for a foundation year somewhere.
Reply 11
Original post by TajwarC
They really don't matter that much for your application personally. Yours are fine.

Okay, maybe :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Just apply, worst case you get a rejection. It doesn't change the fact you need to put the work in and get your A grades. If you have good A-levels and no offers, you can always just reapply next year and take a gap year.

Or go to Germany and study for free at one of the top 100 unis in the world.

Or apply for a foundation year somewhere.

Would need to learn german/ do humanities as subjects
Would need to learn german/ do humanities as subjects

no you wouldn't
Try doing Access to Leeds, it's great for engineering and you can get an offer 2 grades below entry req

Quick Reply

Latest