The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths

Hi

I am a mature student aiming to do my Maths GCSE privately.

I will probably go for the higher tier but how is it marked? The one I am looking at says it is 3 different papers with 80 marks on each. Do they just add your overall mark up out of 240? Or do you have to get a certain amount from each paper?

The reason I ask is because I am rubbish at Geometry and Algebra, and I am sure there is paper on this.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Yes, there are three different papers with eighty marks on each. I'm not sure about this part, but I do think that your grade is based on your score out of 240. Even if it you do have to get a certain amount on each paper, you should be okay since I don't think there are individual papers on things like geometry and algebra.
Reply 2
Original post by The Byrd
Yes, there are three different papers with eighty marks on each. I'm not sure about this part, but I do think that your grade is based on your score out of 240. Even if it you do have to get a certain amount on each paper, you should be okay since I don't think there are individual papers on things like geometry and algebra.

I am planning to do it with aqa and I have been looking at past papers. They had one paper which was Geometry and Algebra.

Hopefully I will get better in the few months I have but I remember being rubbish at School too.
Original post by hrryhll
I am planning to do it with aqa and I have been looking at past papers. They had one paper which was Geometry and Algebra.

Hopefully I will get better in the few months I have but I remember being rubbish at School too.

Keep in mind that GCSE and A level are going through a period of update and reform.

The past papers you are looking at sound like they are for an old modular specification. The last exams for old specifications will be available to candidates retaking maths in November 2016 and for some examiner specifications in Summer 2017. It is unclear how many centres will be offering old specification exams in summer 2017.

New candidates from summer 2017 will take exams under a new specification that includes additional topics and uses a new 9-1 grading system. Make sure you are using the right resources for the exams you will take.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest