The Student Room Group

What's worse being addicted to gambling smoking or drinking

Scroll to see replies

If you study maths or some parts of it, there is much deeper stuff that you can find on probability and gambling etc etc. Though you don't need to study it, you can just look at the results of it.

I don't have any experience but I'd think you can find strategies (in some situations) to make you more likely to win, if that's what you're saying.
What if you can't help it, if your on benefits etc, trust me gambling just makes you and your family broke the bad thing is you don't realise the amount you waste
Original post by sinfonietta
Gambling. It's the most selfish of the three. The harm you do isn't just to yourself but could put your whole family into debt, out of home, etc.
I'd say gambling as if you lose all of your money and end up borrowing more only to lose it, you will end up in serious trouble that could have long lasting effects. This kind of thing is more serious as it can turn people to crime as well as put them in bad favor with banks and other businesses for years after the final event. Drinking and smoking however aren't as bad from that standpoint.
Gambling is very bad what if you lose like £30+ everyday, what if you play slots it's all down to pot luck, gambling gets in the way of everything you will fall behind on your bills etc
Gambling is all about luck it's all fixed
Original post by SeanFM
If you study maths or some parts of it, there is much deeper stuff that you can find on probability and gambling etc etc. Though you don't need to study it, you can just look at the results of it.

I don't have any experience but I'd think you can find strategies (in some situations) to make you more likely to win, if that's what you're saying.
Gambling online is different from real life
They have different games etc and the people
Still hard to win you have to bet loads to gain a profit
Original post by Fenice
A smoking addiction is fairly easily managed, and drinking will send you to sleep most of the time in non-dangerous circumstances

Jesus wept...
Your right
Reply 30
Original post by Reality Check
Jesus wept...

What don't you understand? A gambling addiction is almost always going to result in much greater damage much more quickly than either smoking or drinking
Original post by Fenice
What don't you understand? A gambling addiction is almost always going to result in much greater damage much more quickly than either smoking or drinking

I think actually it's what you don't understand.

Your post that prompted me to say 'jesus wept' , in case you missed it above, was

Original post by Fenice
A smoking addiction is fairly easily managed, and drinking will send you to sleep most of the time in non-dangerous circumstances

These are some of the most ridiculous claims I've read on TSR. And that really is saying something. Where in earth did you get the idea from that smoking is an addiction that is 'fairly easily managed'?!! And that drinking will 'send you to sleep'.. Have you got the first idea of the dangers of either smoking or alcoholism, or how difficult these are to quit/treat? And the question was not about 'which addiction will harm you the quickest'. The question the OP asked was "What's worse being addicted to gambling, drinking or smoking".

Don't work in healthcare, whatever you do!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
I think actually it's what you don't understand.

Your post that prompted me to say 'jesus wept' , in case you missed it above, was

These are some of the most ridiculous claims I've read on TSR. And that really is saying something. Where in earth did you get the idea from that smoking is an addiction that is 'fairly easily managed'?!! And that drinking will 'send you to sleep'.. Have you got the first idea of the dangers of either smoking or alcoholism, or how difficult these are to quit/treat? And the question was not about 'which addiction will harm you the quickest'. The question the OP asked was "What's worse being addicted to gambling, drinking or smoking".

Don't work in healthcare, whatever you do!!!!

Smoking and drinking addictions are unlikely to cause as much damage as quickly as a gambling addiction is, and for most people are fairly forgiveable things that can be treated and from which they can recover quite well. Gambling addictions can completely destroy people's finances and families in a very short period of time and those effects are much harder to recover from. That is why it is worse being addicted to gambling than drink or cigarettes.

Smoking is 'easily managed' in that it is infinitely cheaper than a gambling addiction and is extremely unlikely to cause any serious adverse effects anywhere near as quickly as gambling.

Alcoholism is much the same. Though the short-term impact will be much worse than smoking and could result in losing a job, it is unlikely to place you in as much danger. It is not going to rob you of every penny you own and cause you to remortgage your house to fund it as often or anywhere near as quickly as a gambling addiction is. Someone can lose £100,000 in 10 minutes because of a gambling problem. They cannot smoke or drink £100,000 worth of booze in that time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fenice
Smoking and drinking addictions are unlikely to cause as much damage as quickly as a gambling addiction is. That is why it is worse being addicted to gambling than drink or cigarettes.

Smoking is 'easily managed' in that it is infinitely cheaper than a gambling addiction and is extremely unlikely to cause any serious adverse effects anywhere near as quickly as gambling.

Alcoholism is much the same. Though the short-term impact will be much worse than smoking and could result in losing a job, it is unlikely to place you in as much danger. It is not going to rob you of every penny you own and cause you to remortgage your house to fund it as often or anywhere near as quickly as a gambling addiction is. Someone can lose £100,000 in 10 minutes because of a gambling problem. They cannot smoke or drink £100,000 worth of booze in that time.

And once again, for the last time, the OP didn't ask which of these would hurt you the quickest. He asked which was the worst, full stop. :colonhash:
Reply 34
And once again, for the last time, the OP didn't ask which of these would hurt you the quickest. He asked which was the worst, full stop. :colonhash:

How quickly an addiction develops and affects you is obviously part of how damaging it is.

If an addiction can result in you spending hundreds of thousands of pounds and making yourself homeless by selling your house in one week, but two other addictions are extremely unlikely to do this, that difference in the speed of development is a very important aspect of whether it is 'worse' than the other two or not.

Smoking and drinking are unlikely to cause problems anywhere near as bad as those caused by gambling for several years. In the case of cigarettes we are normally talking about decades. Their negative effects are almost always much more forgiveable in a person's life. Lots of people give up smoking and their lungs recover; lots of people give up drinking and become functioning individuals again. Lots of people recover from gambling addictions but how many recover their life savings, properties, families and solvency?

Additionally, gambling addictions are thought to cause mental health problems - 1 in 5 gamblers try to kill themselves, and many of those will be pushed to that resort by the money problems their habit has caused them.
My alcoholic ex, who is dead now, said that being addicted to gambling is the worst thing. He said gamblers would sell every scrap of furniture in the house to place another bet, as they are convinced they are going to win and win big every time. Alcoholics, after heavy drinking for weeks on end with no food physically cannot continue and have to quit for a few weeks or months. Gamblers don't have that physical dependency on their addiction making them ill. There is no incentive for them to stop.
Your right you know to get addicted to gambling you dont even have to go out all you need is internet that's why it's so dangerous there open 24/7 aswell
Original post by Fenice
Smoking and drinking addictions are unlikely to cause as much damage as quickly as a gambling addiction is, and for most people are fairly forgiveable things that can be treated and from which they can recover quite well. Gambling addictions can completely destroy people's finances and families in a very short period of time and those effects are much harder to recover from. That is why it is worse being addicted to gambling than drink or cigarettes.

Original post by markova21
My alcoholic ex, who is dead now, said that being addicted to gambling is the worst thing. He said gamblers would sell every scrap of furniture in the house to place another bet, as they are convinced they are going to win and win big every time. Alcoholics, after heavy drinking for weeks on end with no food physically cannot continue and have to quit for a few weeks or months. Gamblers don't have that physical dependency on their addiction making them ill. There is no incentive for them to stop.

Interesting post :smile:
Gambling is obviously the worst, followed by drinking, then smoking. A gambling addiction can lead to debt, bankruptcy, theft, worse. Alcohol abuse can quickly lead to death, violence, neglect of self and others. Smoking is the most manageable of the three, even though it's still bad for your health, costly, and makes you smell bad.
Trust me money wasted on gambling adds up gamblers are selfish, they don't realise what they had till its gone it Fs up everything
Original post by SilverActor2033
I'd say gambling as if you lose all of your money and end up borrowing more only to lose it, you will end up in serious trouble that could have long lasting effects. This kind of thing is more serious as it can turn people to crime as well as put them in bad favor with banks and other businesses for years after the final event. Drinking and smoking however aren't as bad from that standpoint.

Quick Reply

Latest