The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke7456
i plan to start in jan is that to late join?

There is a new admin on there. He'll be in touch if you want. I'm preparing by myself for the time being. And will probably join back around Jan.
Reply 241
Hi everyone,

I've been following the thread for a while and have recently started doing questions from the STEP 2 papers.

I don't want to peek into the official solutions and I don't have someone to ask so would anyone be willing to have a look through some of my solutions to questions in the 2000 paper and give me some feedback?

Any help will much appreciated
Thank you
Original post by Maths.
Hi everyone,

I've been following the thread for a while and have recently started doing questions from the STEP 2 papers.

I don't want to peek into the official solutions and I don't have someone to ask so would anyone be willing to have a look through some of my solutions to questions in the 2000 paper and give me some feedback?

Any help will much appreciated
Thank you

I'll give them a look but I can't promise an instant response :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 243
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you Krollo,

I understand that you're probably very busy right now so I will get them uploaded as soon as possible.

(Sorry for the delay I wanted to make sure that my solutions are legible.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 244
Original post by Maths.
Thank you Krollo,

I understand that you're probably very busy right now so I will get them uploaded as soon as possible.

(Sorry for the delay I wanted to make sure that my solutions are legible.)

I'd be willing to look at some as well, but can't promise an instant response. Might even look over them with Krollo this afternoon, seeing as we're both in the CMS.
Original post by Zacken
I'd be willing to look at some as well, but can't promise an instant response. Might even look over them with Krollo this afternoon, seeing as we're both in the CMS.

Why cant u promise instant response.
U dnt even maths at kings mate.
Also what is this cms meeting and why arent i invited u elephant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

Take a picture with the Ramunujan sculpture thingy by the stairs, that way you can say you stood at the same spot as drandy

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm trying to access the official mark schemes, I downloaded the megapack and it only has the past papers, no solutions. Also it is 61MB not close to 100MB. How can I find the solutions?
Reply 248
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here is my solution to the second question of the paper, sorry this took a while as all my previous attempts to upload failed...
Reply 249
Original post by Zacken

Thank you Zacken for offering to help me, I really appreciate it.
Original post by Maths.
Here is my solution to the second question of the paper, sorry this took a while as all my previous attempts to upload failed...

Seeing as they're all busy and I'm the complete opposite right now I'll have a look.

I think your solution is fine and you'd probably get full marks. A very minor point first: instead of saying 'where g(x)/h(x) is a function of x' it'd probably better to say 'where g(x)/h(x) is a polynomial.'

Probably the most important improvement to your solution would be your demonstration of p'''(a)=0. The easiest way is to simplify at each stage. So when you get your expression for p'(x), you can say 'therefore we can write p(x)=(x-a)^3 q(x) for some polynomial q(x),' then differentiate that to get p''(x) and deduce that you can write p''(x)=(x-a)^2 r(x) for some polynomial r(x) etc. This saves a lot of writing/calculation and therefore would save you time and reduce chances of making mistakes and dropping silly marks. In STEP it's essential to keep everything as simple as possible (without compromising necessary details of course).

Another minor point: probably just say that (x-a)^4 a factor of p(x) implies that p'''(a)=0 so that you directly get an equation for a and then you can go on to test the values as you did. It's just a bit clearer to do it like this, directly using what was proven in the first part.
Reply 251
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Seeing as they're all busy and I'm the complete opposite right now I'll have a look.

I think your solution is fine and you'd probably get full marks. A very minor point first: instead of saying 'where g(x)/h(x) is a function of x' it'd probably better to say 'where g(x)/h(x) is a polynomial.'

Probably the most important improvement to your solution would be your demonstration of p'''(a)=0. The easiest way is to simplify at each stage. So when you get your expression for p'(x), you can say 'therefore we can write p(x)=(x-a)^3 q(x) for some polynomial q(x),' then differentiate that to get p''(x) and deduce that you can write p''(x)=(x-a)^2 r(x) for some polynomial r(x) etc. This saves a lot of writing/calculation and therefore would save you time and reduce chances of making mistakes and dropping silly marks. In STEP it's essential to keep everything as simple as possible (without compromising necessary details of course).

Another minor point: probably just say that (x-a)^4 a factor of p(x) implies that p'''(a)=0 so that you directly get an equation for a and then you can go on to test the values as you did. It's just a bit clearer to do it like this, directly using what was proven in the first part.

Good morning IrrationalRoot and thank you so much for taking the time to give me a concise feedback, I'm sure it'll help great deal. I've printed a copy to check it out on my way to school.
Thanks again
Original post by Maths.
Good morning IrrationalRoot and thank you so much for taking the time to give me a concise feedback, I'm sure it'll help great deal. I've printed a copy to check it out on my way to school.
Thanks again

I'm glad it helped :smile:.
Hey guys, I've been preparing by myself for quite a while now, and it has been effective. I've been
invited to a very small STEP preparation group in my local area as one of my teachers got in
contact with people who have successfully prepared students to meet their Camb
offers.A lot of their students exceeded their offers. And some went to Ivy-Leagues instead. As I think my prep has gone well, I'm mulling over this.

If anyone from a state-school knows what I'm on about, how was your experience? Is it worth it?

Edit: I've just joined upon further discussion with my teacher.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Injective
Hey guys, I've been preparing by myself for quite a while now, and it has been effective. I've been
invited to a very small STEP preparation group in my local area as one of my teachers got in
contact with people who have successfully prepared students to meet their Camb
offers.A lot of their students exceeded their offers. And some went to Ivy-Leagues instead. As I think my prep has gone well, I'm mulling over this.

If anyone from a state-school knows what I'm on about, how was your experience? Is it worth it?

Edit: I've just joined upon further discussion with my teacher.

Is it the run by Luciano rila ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Is it the run by Luciano rila ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was with Luciano for MAT yesterday(will be there on Friday, too) lol, but no not for STEP. My maths teacher has contacts with a private company in central, who do pro-bono stuff for state-educated students.
Reply 256
Original post by Injective
I was with Luciano for MAT yesterday(will be there on Friday, too) lol, but no not for STEP. My maths teacher has contacts with a private company in central, who do pro-bono stuff for state-educated students.

You can go if you like, but in my experience, there's nothing that's going to help with STEP other than sitting down on your own and working through questions.
Original post by Zacken
You can go if you like, but in my experience, there's nothing that's going to help with STEP other than sitting down on your own and working through questions.

What about if u do part III

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
Original post by physicsmaths
What about if u do part III

then ur jim leck m888
Original post by Zacken
then ur jim leck m888

Gna midnap him n take him to homerton

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending