The Student Room Group

Art students , HELLP PPLSSS???

Hey, so has anyone done or are currently doing A2 art? Cus i need help with my personal investigation/study????

Right , our new teacher [ who mostly never taught a level b4] just said we had to do some stuff about art history and she's leaving us totally clueless about what we have to do but she keeps giving us lessons on art history- like ancient greek, cave men art blah blah blah. And saying that's all we have to do? It doesn't make any sense ???

I've search about the art investigation online from the Student Art Guide, it said you just choose a topic relating to art e.g like pop-art, contemporary art. And then you have to explore it, maybe ( it says it's not neccesary to link ir} link it to your chosen coursework topic. Is this correct, so say, can I do a topic about manga???

Help, what should i do? What has YOUR teacher told you? Is our teacher correct? I don't wanna fail Art, its my ticket to uni. i need to do well in it- i'm aiming for A!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4
bump
Reply 5
Hi! I did art at A level. First you need to figure out what the focus of your study will be (what you want to investigate). For mine I did 'how significant is the role of the perception of the artist in affecting the art?'. Pick a question that will require you to analyse the work of the artists as this is a main part of the study. Although its not necessary to have your study link to your chosen coursework topic I think its best to do so because it gives you the chance to talk about your own processes and techniques. Once you have your question, you look at the work of your chosen artists and compare and contrast them and state what it tells you about what your investigating. Its also important to look at the historical context of the art (that might be what your teacher is referring to with the art history thing) and its impact. You need to have some reference material as well such as critics opinions. Remember you need to have a clear structure with an intro, main body and conclusion. You can probably find a few examples online for some guidance. I hope this helps a bit?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by taja123
Hi! I did art at A level. First you need to figure out what the focus of your study will be (what you want to investigate). For mine I did 'how significant is the role of the perception of the artist in affecting the art?'. Pick a question that will require you to analyse the work of the artists as this is a main part of the study. Although its not necessary to have your study link to your chosen coursework topic I think its best to do so because it gives you the chance to talk about your own processes and techniques. Once you have your question, you look at the work of your chosen artists and compare and contrast them and state what it tells you about what your investigating. Its also important to look at the historical context of the art (that might be what your teacher is referring to with the art history thing) and its impact. You need to have some reference material as well such as critics opinions. Remember you need to have a clear structure with an intro, main body and conclusion. You can probably find a few examples online for some guidance. I hope this helps a bit?

Hi, Thank you so much for the help :smile:)!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Candy55
Hi, Thank you so much for the help :smile:)!!!

Happy to help! feel free to ask anything else if you need to :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by taja123
Happy to help! feel free to ask anything else if you need to :smile:

Thnaks, btw what is reference material???
Reply 9
Original post by Candy55
Thnaks, btw what is reference material???

A reference would be info that you've taken from any resource (books, articles, websites) and used or quoted in your work. So for example if you find something that a critic has said about an artist or their work you could reference it to either support your point or to challenge it and give another perspective. 6-7 references would be enough I think. Just remember to include a bibliography!
Find an article on an artist in a good, and most importantly old magazine, study it, write your own essay on the artist - put in quite a few of your own observations, but use as much of the original article as you want - just change how its written.

Importantly, use the most observant parts.

Are you written skills the problem, or that you haven't learnt how to research yet?
Original post by taja123
A reference would be info that you've taken from any resource (books, articles, websites) and used or quoted in your work. So for example if you find something that a critic has said about an artist or their work you could reference it to either support your point or to challenge it and give another perspective. 6-7 references would be enough I think. Just remember to include a bibliography!

I just changed the way an article was written and nigh-on copied it, adding my own reflections. I got a high mark - and from the snobbiest, hardest to please tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest