The Student Room Group

Fat uni and exercise

Hi
Im 18 female 14 stone /89 kg and 5,10
Im doing a sports degree i go to the gum regularly and worlout and all but im afraid of doing excercose among my uni peers and running in practical sessions.

Were split in groups and i domt know anyone there, also it imvplves alot of running. I cant run and im slow. Running on the tredmill for a good five min at 7.5 speeed is ok but i cant do it around a hall . It scares me im so mervous amd scared that i think i might back out and not go

Please help urgently
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
Im 18 female 14 stone /89 kg and 5,10
Im doing a sports degree i go to the gum regularly and worlout and all but im afraid of doing excercose among my uni peers and running in practical sessions.

Were split in groups and i domt know anyone there, also it imvplves alot of running. I cant run and im slow. Running on the tredmill for a good five min at 7.5 speeed is ok but i cant do it around a hall . It scares me im so mervous amd scared that i think i might back out and not go

Please help urgently

What do you do at the gym?

If you are doing a sports degree then surely you knew fitness and practicals would be involved? Did you lose some of that weight in the Summer?

I think you have to bite the bullet and go. You will cause a bigger fuss by not going although I do appreciate how awkward it might feel.
Treadmills are artificial. and not the same as running round a hall. Some of the others may be unfit as well.

Fitness can come back quite quickly if you work at it.

Advice.
1. Push through and ignore them, juts try your best.
2. have a talk with whoever the lecturer is and say you will be working on your fitness at the gym.
3. Probably look at doing circuit training/ classes. cross fit and a weekly beep test focused on building up your CV fitness. Beep test is a standard measure of CV fitness, so you cna monitor your progress.
4. Refocus on your diet if you feel you wnat to lose weight. Join MFP and use that to help monitor your consumption.

Btw losing 20lbs would put you in normal BMI category. You can do that in six months easily and three if you really push it.
Have a look at soem of the fitness threads and FAQs by cucumber. You are on the ideal degree to be your own guinea pig.
(edited 7 years ago)
The above post is great,I just want to add (I know this sounds harsh but it comes from experience), if you find you're not losing the weight, the answer is simple, you are not working hard enough. whether it be on the diet end or the exercise end. It takes a lot of work to change your body, but its work that any body is capable of. And besides you'll feel so much better when you've achieved your goal because you know how much hard work you put in.basically; do not ever make excuses for yourself, think about decisions you make as if you're watching someone else make them and judge accordingly, this will help keep you on track.And about being embarrassed or whatever in the gym/doing practicals; everyone has to start somewhere so you shouldnt feel ashamed, and this is uni not highschool so your peers should be respectful (especially if you fully participate and try your hardest)hope this helps
Reply 3
I really focused in the month before uni
The sports degree isnt what i wanted to do but i didnt get on to my original course so i came on this
As soon as i found that out i started to focus on really losing weght. I lost 1 stone from mid august to mid september but im not losing anymore
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
What do you do at the gym?

If you are doing a sports degree then surely you knew fitness and practicals would be involved? Did you lose some of that weight in the Summer?

I think you have to bite the bullet and go. You will cause a bigger fuss by not going although I do appreciate how awkward it might feel.
Treadmills are artificial. and not the same as running round a hall. Some of the others may be unfit as well.

Fitness can come back quite quickly if you work at it.

Advice.
1. Push through and ignore them, juts try your best.
2. have a talk with whoever the lecturer is and say you will be working on your fitness at the gym.
3. Probably look at doing circuit training/ classes. cross fit and a weekly beep test focused on building up your CV fitness. Beep test is a standard measure of CV fitness, so you cna monitor your progress.
4. Refocus on your diet if you feel you wnat to lose weight. Join MFP and use that to help monitor your consumption.

Btw losing 20lbs would put you in normal BMI category. You can do that in six months easily and three if you really push it.
Have a look at soem of the fitness threads and FAQs by cucumber. You are on the ideal degree to be your own guinea pig.

How would i do a beep test i mean do i book one or how can i do one myself
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question
Original post by Anonymous
How would i do a beep test i mean do i book one or how can i do one myself
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/health_and_fitness/4286804.stm

Its just shuttle runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weEe4V0Ot2Y

If you google it there are zillions of links and videos showing you how it works.
It gets progressively harder.
Its a good way of charting cardio fitness progression and used as a standard fitness test for recruitment.

You cna also get standalone interval timers or I think there will be apps you cna use for your phone.

Btw your weight has stalled because either:

You need to be patient as weight loss is not linear. Sometimes it slows down, so its weight loss over time you need.

More likely is you are simply not at a claorie deficit anymore, hence no weight loss. That means you need to reduce consumption and if you wnat increase exercise, although 80% is diet.

Common reasons is you arent measuring and weighing your food accurately i.e with scales or you have got the numbers wrong and calcculated the deficit incorrectly.

Go and join MFP to track your calories and make friends.

Quick Reply

Latest