The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Horrible migraine attack. It's hurting my face and making me cry. Have both my phone and laptop on lowest light setting as I have to do work. Can't stop. :cry2:
Original post by Airmed
Horrible migraine attack. It's hurting my face and making me cry. Have both my phone and laptop on lowest light setting as I have to do work. Can't stop. :cry2:

That's awful, I'm sorry. I used to get these really bad :frown: I found an ice pack wrapped up in a tshirt on my face helped a bit, at least around the sinuses and temples, the same with cloths soaked in cold water. I hope it passes soon :console:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
That's awful, I'm sorry. I used to get these really bad :frown: I found an ice pack wrapped up in a tshirt on my face helped a bit, at least around the sinuses and temples, the same with cloths soaked in cold water. I hope it passes soon :console:

My boyfriend has put my ice pack in the freezer for me. I also have taken the migraine painkillers I was given today by my GP. No luck yet. :hugs:
Original post by Airmed
My boyfriend has put my ice pack in the freezer for me. I also have taken the migraine painkillers I was given today by my GP. No luck yet. :hugs:

Do you have any Vicks vapour rub?
Original post by Airmed

You got sunglasses? I used to get med related migranes and used to wear sunglasses inside and it helped so much. I looked stupid but i wasnt in as much pain

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiger Rag
Do you have any Vicks vapour rub?

No. Can't stand the stuff anymore. Got it used too much as a kid.

Original post by PandaWho
You got sunglasses? I used to get med related migranes and used to wear sunglasses inside and it helped so much. I looked stupid but i wasnt in as much pain

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do. And thankfully they are prescription ones. Idk where they are though. Might just give up tonight.
Original post by Spock's Socks
I asked this on my OCD Awareness thread but thought I'd ask here too. Its to help me with my upcoming media portrayal of OCD thread for Friday :h:

So you may have seen t shirts, jumpers, posters etc lately saying "I have OCD - Obsessive Christmas Disorder!" or even things like "OCD - Obsessive Cat Disorder", "I have CDO - Its OCD but the right way around". These kind of items have become popular in recent years and as you can imagine, they have created a backlash among many.

How do you guys feel about this? I can take a joke with the best of them and I'm not easily offended but I do feel its wrong to trivialize an illness that already has so many misconceptions and I kind of feel like doing this only adds to the misconceptions and plays down the seriousness of the condition. If OCD stood for a serious physical disease, say a cancer, I personally feel like people wouldn't be so quick to make jokes about it.

There's no right or wrong answer but any input you could give would be very much appreciated and I will be using the answers along with my thread on media portrayals of OCD on Friday.

It's an interesting topic. I went to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at the theatre last year. For those that don't know, it's about a young person on the autistic spectrum, based on the novel of the same name. They were selling t-shirts that said "I find people confusing" on them as it's a quote from the play. I'm autistic and I didn't have a problem with it, I even bought one. I think the thing here is that it's not joking about the condition and actually it's not something that's specific to autism - I think everyone must have felt like that at some point, plus it's specific to a show - just like you can buy t-shirts at concerts.

Personally I'm not offended by the OCD shirts described (it does take a lot to offend me though!) but I think they're pretty tacky and I wonder why anyone would wear them. For me it doesn't seem as though they're mocking people with OCD, rather just showing the manufacturer's ignorance about the illness. I think one problem with them though is that they buy into the stereotypes about the condition - i.e. it's all about being obsessive and/or really pernickety about something. For me, my OCD mainly manifests itself as intrusive thoughts/images and magical thinking and it seems many people don't know about that side of it. I'm better than I was but when I was a lot younger (around 13-16) that side of it was really hellish all the time and it really felt like I was completely and utterly losing my mind. I feel that more needs to be done to move away from the stereotypes of hand-washing, cleaning etc. and to educate people about other aspects of the condition and those sort of t-shirts don't really help.

I kind of rambled a bit, I hope it's okay :smile:

Congrats on the thread by the way, I've been looking here but not posting as I've been so out of it on meds so even writing the smallest of things has been a real challenge :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LesPaul_Player91
It's an interesting topic. I went to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at the theatre last year. For those that don't know, it's about a young person on the autistic spectrum, based on the novel of the same name. They were selling t-shirts that said "I find people confusing" on them as it's a quote from the play. I'm autistic and I didn't have a problem with it, I even bought one. I think the thing here is that it's not joking about the condition and actually it's not something that's specific to autism - I think everyone must have felt like that at some point, plus it's specific to a show - just like you can buy t-shirts at concerts.

Personally I'm not offended by the OCD shirts described (it does take a lot to offend me though!) but I think they're pretty tacky and I wonder why anyone would wear them. For me it doesn't seem as though they're mocking people with OCD, rather just showing the manufacturer's ignorance about the illness. I think one problem with them though is that they buy into the stereotypes about the condition - i.e. it's all about being obsessive and/or really pernickety about something. For me, my OCD mainly manifests itself as intrusive thoughts/images and magical thinking and it seems many people don't know about that side of it. I'm better than I was but when I was a lot younger (around 13-16) that side of it was really hellish all the time and it really felt like I was completely and utterly losing my mind. I feel that more needs to be done to move away from the stereotypes of hand-washing, cleaning etc. and to educate people about other aspects of the condition and those sort of t-shirts don't really help.

I kind of rambled a bit, I hope it's okay :smile:

Congrats on the thread by the way, I've been looking here but not posting as I've been so out of it on meds so even writing the smallest of things has been a real challenge :frown:

Thank you so much for your input :smile: your points have really helped me out when putting together the thread for Friday :hugs:

Sorry to hear how you have been feeling with your meds :frown: are you on a new medication or a stronger dose?
I've taken 5 days off this year so far, all for the same illness. It's not great, I know, but it couldn't be helped. This is being backed up by a doctor. I had a serious chest infection and two asthma attacks as a result of complications from a cold I caught at college, and even ended up in hospital. That's not my fault, right? My tutor took me aside today to ask me if I really thought I'd be able to manage the course because of my illness (CFS/ME and FM). I was feeling really good about filling in my UCAS forms today less than an hour earlier, and now I'm doubting myself all over again. I've been doing so much better already and he isn't seeing that. We're not even at half term yet. I've tried so hard and I've put so much in, and no one's even realising. There's people in my class without legitimate reason that have been off for the same amount of days or more than me, and they aren't being asked to reconsider. I feel like I'm letting people down
Original post by Airmed

I hope you find relief soon :hugs:
I've got glandular fever, which isn't really that infectious unless your in really close proximity, and my housemate has mouthed off that I shouldn't be in communal areas of the house. Naturally this has set off feelings of being lonely/ unwanted... and I'm going to go to a hotel tomorrow night because I can't deal with it :frown:
Hmm, interesting. I'm kind of aware that it could get out of hand, and for some, it can be sawn as a joke, but for others, it could be quite offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Therapist having to pass on info I shared in therapy to safeguarding team 🙁

I hate that I knew the boundaries of what I could talk about without triggering this and when I dissociated, I went way beyond them. Now my life will implode 🙁🙁
Original post by ~Tara~

I hate that I knew the boundaries of what I could talk about without triggering this and when I dissociated, I went way beyond them. Now my life will implode 🙁🙁

:hugs: Sharing is not a decision they take lightly though hopefully they'll be able to help you by doing so. I know it feels very "oh ****" but try to keep calm. Have they told you anything about what might happen?
(edited 7 years ago)
really alone. :frown:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I've taken 5 days off this year so far, all for the same illness. It's not great, I know, but it couldn't be helped. This is being backed up by a doctor. I had a serious chest infection and two asthma attacks as a result of complications from a cold I caught at college, and even ended up in hospital. That's not my fault, right? My tutor took me aside today to ask me if I really thought I'd be able to manage the course because of my illness (CFS/ME and FM). I was feeling really good about filling in my UCAS forms today less than an hour earlier, and now I'm doubting myself all over again. I've been doing so much better already and he isn't seeing that. We're not even at half term yet. I've tried so hard and I've put so much in, and no one's even realising. There's people in my class without legitimate reason that have been off for the same amount of days or more than me, and they aren't being asked to reconsider. I feel like I'm letting people down

I hate stuff like this. My school was the same, and trying to kick me out of classes when the only lessons I'd missed were where i'd physically been in hospital. You're not letting anyone down though- do what you need to do and your health is a priority, and if possible prove them wrong!

Original post by Ezme39
I've got glandular fever, which isn't really that infectious unless your in really close proximity, and my housemate has mouthed off that I shouldn't be in communal areas of the house. Naturally this has set off feelings of being lonely/ unwanted... and I'm going to go to a hotel tomorrow night because I can't deal with it :frown:

Original post by ~Tara~

:hugs: you guys :frown:

@Pathway, am around if talking would help?

Hope everyone else is doing as well as possible
Starting to really panic about the interview tomorrow. I'm so worried that if i don't get it I'll be stuck doing the job i'm currently doing and hating it.
Essay work was going well until my head pain increased. :/
So I googled my CCO who I'm meeting tomorrow and she's an OT.

Does anyone have an experience with this? All of my CCO's from the last 4 years have been CPNs so would be interested to hear from you guys :smile:*
Original post by furryface12
I hate stuff like this. My school was the same, and trying to kick me out of classes when the only lessons I'd missed were where i'd physically been in hospital. You're not letting anyone down though- do what you need to do and your health is a priority, and if possible prove them wrong!

:hugs: you guys :frown:

@Pathway, am around if talking would help?

Hope everyone else is doing as well as possible

Thank you. :hugs: How are you?

Latest