The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Got a rejection for Herbert Smith Freehills one hour after the submission of my verbal reasoning test. Anyone able to beat that?
Original post by awfulsplleling
Got a rejection for Herbert Smith Freehills one hour after the submission of my verbal reasoning test. Anyone able to beat that?

Sorry to hear that. They are very harsh and unfair, if you don't meet the benchmark its auto reject and they don't even look at your application.
Hey guys,

So, what do you advise re cover letters when no name is specified?

The firm in question is Baker & McKenzie - haven't been able to find something which I know for sure still applies. Should I contact them or just write 'Dear Graduate Recruitment' (which I don't particularly like tbh)?
Original post by *Stefan*
Hey guys,

So, what do you advise re cover letters when no name is specified?

The firm in question is Baker & McKenzie - haven't been able to find something which I know for sure still applies. Should I contact them or just write 'Dear Graduate Recruitment' (which I don't particularly like tbh)?

Dear Graduate Recruitment Team in this case is fine. I did this in my letter and progressed through to their next stage
Original post by vacschemestudent
Dear Graduate Recruitment Team in this case is fine. I did this in my letter and progressed through to their next stage

Cheers!
has anyone heard back from ashurst?
Reply 246
Thanks for the replies guys!

I have around twelve modules total, do i list the name of every module or can I do an average (?) of the year? Thanks in advance
im applying for summer internships in other industries such as legal and compliance. i am still applying to vac schemes, but my thinking is if i dont get anything law related this year, i can apply next year with some experience, and if i dont get a law offer, then maybe i will have a full time grad offer in another industry.
Reply 248
Original post by J-SP
I'd write it like the following:

Year 1 - 60%: Contract - 60%, Tort - 60%, Constitutional - 60%, Criminal- 60%, Legal Systems - 60%, Public law - 60%

Year 2 - 70%: in the same format as above

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fab thanks!

I'm going to shorten my module titles down so that should be grand
Reply 249
Original post by hodgey111
Had my interview for Jones Day today. They said it was going to be conversational and casual as some users suggested on here, but it was the opposite. Focused almost entirely on commercial awareness and issues and asked nothing at all of my personality etc.

Not complaining or anything as it is to be expected, just warning those who have interviews coming up that it is not as casual as we would perhaps like.

Hey - was this for a winter vac scheme? Can I ask how they got in touch with you - phone or email? As I haven't heard from them since applying at the end of September! Thanks
Original post by JKRP11
Hey - was this for a winter vac scheme? Can I ask how they got in touch with you - phone or email? As I haven't heard from them since applying at the end of September! Thanks

For the winter vacation scheme and it was all via email. I applied at the start of September.
I'm stuck on the question 'How do you think a career in law will affect your lifestyle?' for the Simmons and Simmons form. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Original post by ssh12bl
I'm stuck on the question 'How do you think a career in law will affect your lifestyle?' for the Simmons and Simmons form. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm also stuck on that question. Its actually 1 part of the whole question and we have 250 words. I spoke to someone who did a summer vac scheme and she said that she ignored that part and focussed on why simmons and law and got through to next stage!
Original post by ssh12bl

Thanks!

Original post by giggy12s
I'm also stuck on that question. Its actually 1 part of the whole question and we have 250 words. I spoke to someone who did a summer vac scheme and she said that she ignored that part and focussed on why simmons and law and got through to next stage!

Sounds like it has to do with the long hours and whether you can fit that into your personal lifestyle.
Hi guys,

Do you guys know which are the firms that have a stringent academic requirement (i.e. rejects low overall 2:1 grade/few 2:2s with an average 2:1 overall grade) based on your experiences?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vacschemer2017
Hi guys,

Do you guys know which are the firms that have a stringent academic requirement (i.e. rejects low overall 2:1 grade/few 2:2s with an average 2:1 overall grade) based on your experiences?

Slaughter and May, White and Case, Sidley, Ashurst, Magic Circle, Sullivan and Cromwell, Skadden (most US firms). The first 4 specifically ask for a high 2.1, whilst the others don't but tend to only recruit people with very strong academics. Of course, you could be the exception though.
Hi guys :smile: if I got a first in my degree but pretty average GCSE results which law firms should I be targeting?
Alright, thanks for sharing :smile:

Original post by aspriringlawyer
Slaughter and May, White and Case, Sidley, Ashurst, Magic Circle, Sullivan and Cromwell, Skadden (most US firms). The first 4 specifically ask for a high 2.1, whilst the others don't but tend to only recruit people with very strong academics. Of course, you could be the exception though.
Original post by vacschemer2017
Hi guys,

Magic circle, Silver circle and US firms won't take anyone without at least 65% overall and 2.1 in almost all modules! AAA-AAB in A levels also required.
Reply 259
Has anyone applied for Jones day's summer vac scheme and heard back?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending