The Student Room Group

Cannot play games on University Wifi...

I'm sure this is not a problem for most students at the type of University I'm at, but I'm a gamer. In my spare time, I don't do much more than play games. Throughout the whole summer, I had started to even earn some money from these games.

Anyway, on to the point. In our University (that we live in), the wifi is bad. Really bad. I mean I can get 30 down and 15 up on a regular basis, but it's so incredibly inconsistent. I am unable to play any form of game that requires a constant sending/ recieving of data. It just lags consistently.

My only issue is, there seems to be nothing I can do about it. I'm supposed to just live with it. This is my main hobby, it's how I keep myself happy, so when you double the amount of revision I do a day, you better allow me some decent internet access. But they haven't, and I'm finding it incredibly hard to be productive because I'm always in a bad mood. Watching all my mates play games whilst I have to sit here and study, then when I finally get some free time I can't even join them.

I went to the IT office and they said it's to do with traffic, which is clearly a lie because I tried playing at 4:00am and it was still unplayable.

Why is this form of hobby not taken seriously? No university would ban people from reading books completely irrelevant to their course on their spare time, or playing a sport. In fact, they tend to encourage it. Yet my hobby, playing over the internet with friends, it given no recognision at all.

There has to be something I can do, I know as a fact I won't be able to cope for long like this, but of course I'm trying. Anyone been in a similar situation?

Scroll to see replies

I

Spoiler

Use an Ethernet cable?
Original post by similarBlank
I

Spoiler

Who would say something as stupid as that? "Don't do your hobbies at University" I live at University, are they saying I'm not allowed free time? If that's the case imma quit this place right now

Original post by blackdiamond97
Use an Ethernet cable?

Didn't help much, just put the jitter down a bit. Still unplayable at an incredibly high level
Original post by ComputerMaths97
<snip>

Why is this form of hobby not taken seriously? No university would ban people from reading books completely irrelevant to their course on their spare time, or playing a sport. In fact, they tend to encourage it. Yet my hobby, playing over the internet with friends, it given no recognision at all.

#firstworldproblems

University IT infrastructure is provided for academic purposes , use over and above it is incidential ...

your examples are fatuous becasue they do not have a cost to the HEI to provide - even where universities provide sports facilities they do so on cost neutral or profit making basis and do not use funds allocated for academic purposes to do so.
I'm sure this is not a problem for most students at the type of University I'm at, but I'm a gamer. In my spare time, I don't do much more than play games. Throughout the whole summer, I had started to even earn some money from these games.

Anyway, on to the point. In our University (that we live in), the wifi is bad. Really bad. I mean I can get 30 down and 15 up on a regular basis, but it's so incredibly inconsistent. I am unable to play any form of game that requires a constant sending/ recieving of data. It just lags consistently.

My only issue is, there seems to be nothing I can do about it. I'm supposed to just live with it. This is my main hobby, it's how I keep myself happy, so when you double the amount of revision I do a day, you better allow me some decent internet access. But they haven't, and I'm finding it incredibly hard to be productive because I'm always in a bad mood. Watching all my mates play games whilst I have to sit here and study, then when I finally get some free time I can't even join them.

I went to the IT office and they said it's to do with traffic, which is clearly a lie because I tried playing at 4:00am and it was still unplayable.

There has to be something I can do, I know as a fact I won't be able to cope for long like this, but of course I'm trying. Anyone been in a similar situation?

Dont mean to piss you off but look at it this way.

In years to come, after you have completed your uni studies and got your qualifications, you will have a good job and decent money. You will then be able to buy your own internet, most likely that fibre super fast stuff. Work hard now, play hard later.
Reply 6
Get your own internet provider? If that's not an option use your mobile as a personal hotspot and tether? Or you can move into private accommodation next year and get your own wifi
Original post by zippyRN
#firstworldproblems

University IT infrastructure is provided for academic purposes , use over and above it is incidential ...

your examples are fatuous becasue they do not have a cost to the HEI to provide - even where universities provide sports facilities they do so on cost neutral or profit making basis and do not use funds allocated for academic purposes to do so.

Looool your knowledge is so weak I nearly didn't bother replying, but I felt bad.

I can link you right now, proof of the 10's of thousands of pounds that my University invests directly into people's hobbies, so grow up, educate yourself, and stop pretending to know when you clearly don't have a clue.
Looool your knowledge is so weak I nearly didn't bother replying, but I felt bad.

I can link you right now, proof of the 10's of thousands of pounds that my University invests directly into people's hobbies, so grow up, educate yourself, and stop pretending to know when you clearly don't have a clue.

University or Students Union ?

university owned / managed sports facilities are run without subsidy from academic funds ( edges may be blurred if you have sports science / exercise physiology / sports medicine type stuff in the HEI )

how many HEIs have you been a student of ?

i'm guessing the 97 in your username is your year of birth ... so in the case of Universities ' I was in Baghdad when you were in your dad's bag ' ...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Laomedeia
Dont mean to piss you off but look at it this way.

In years to come, after you have completed your uni studies and got your qualifications, you will have a good job and decent money. You will then be able to buy your own internet, most likely that fibre super fast stuff. Work hard now, play hard later.

Nah its fine, I fixed it and am now performing better than ever academically. Please never give that advice again, I wouldn't of got into this University if I just played games and didn't study sufficient amounts. I'm not 9, I know how to manage my time, I just felt that hobbies are a necessity for my mental well being at such an intensive University.

1. See if there are any other Uni properties with good internet.
2. If not move out into private rented, maybe even your own flat then pay for a fast connection.
3. Give up uni to free up extra time and do away with study so you cna focus on what you like and become a pro gamer.
Nah its fine, I fixed it and am now performing better than ever academically. Please never give that advice again, I wouldn't of got into this University if I just played games and didn't study sufficient amounts. I'm not 9, I know how to manage my time, I just felt that hobbies are a necessity for my mental well being at such an intensive University.

Well if you feel that strongly then make a complaint plus go to stuent welfare to tell them they dont take the issue seriously.
Original post by zippyRN
University or Students Union ?

university owned / managed sports facilities are run without subsidy from academic funds ( edges may be blurred if you have sports science / exercise physiology / sports medicine type stuff in the HEI )

how many HEIs have you been a student of ?

i'm guessing the 97 in your username is your year of birth ... so in the case of Universities ' I was in Baghdad when you were in your dad's bag ' ...

So because you're old and therefore I'm guessing also don't appreciate my hobbies, you're going to tell me my mental health doesn't matter orrr? Hobbies are a necessity for mental stability in some people, and therefore it's completely fair for my hobby to be equal to everyone else's. I'm not harming anyone by playing my game.

So who funds the Student Union? I genuinely didn't know the University doesn't give them money for that stuff, wonder where they got that £50,000 from :O
Original post by 999tigger
1. See if there are any other Uni properties with good internet.
2. If not move out into private rented, maybe even your own flat then pay for a fast connection.
3. Give up uni to free up extra time and do away with study so you cna focus on what you like and become a pro gamer.

Original post by 999tigger
Well if you feel that strongly then make a complaint plus go to stuent welfare to tell them they dont take the issue seriously.

Are you attempting to troll? You think I got into this University by playing games all day and not managing my time accurately? God I hate people that assume the worst. I'm studying at a College-based University - i.e we live in halls (compulsory).
Reply 14
There must be a gaming society you can join that has access to some insanely fast internet connectivity. Beyond this I would say focus your pent up energy on making some real friends and getting hammered in the SU.
Get your own internet provider, it's not that expensive. If you can afford to live on overpriced university accommodation, you should be able to afford that. Good luck.

You may not have liked ZippyRN's answer, but it was the truth. Universities use a service (ISP equivalent I guess) called JANET and it is designed for academic purposes, not gaming. If you dig through the small print on your accommodation/IT service/computing service contract or website you will find all the details.

If you want a better service than is required for academia, then you'll have to pay for it, the same way if you want better food than is served in halls you have to go somewhere else and pay for it.
1. you should be focusing on studying not playing computer games
2. if it is that much of a deal get a decent wifi dongle
this should work unless you live in the middle of nowhere

3. not all games require internet
Are you attempting to troll? You think I got into this University by playing games all day and not managing my time accurately? God I hate people that assume the worst. I'm studying at a College-based University - i.e we live in halls (compulsory).

No need to troll. Those are your options as I saw them based upon what you posted. Isnt there some form of uni society for gamers? Ask around and see what solutions they have found. If they only supply one service through their infrastructure, then its already been mentioned that you cna look into getting your own connection.

If it was so important for you in your choice of uni, then why didnt you check it out beforehand?
(edited 7 years ago)
So because you're old and therefore I'm guessing also don't appreciate my hobbies, you're going to tell me my mental health doesn't matter orrr? Hobbies are a necessity for mental stability in some people, and therefore it's completely fair for my hobby to be equal to everyone else's. I'm not harming anyone by playing my game.

So who funds the Student Union? I genuinely didn't know the University doesn't give them money for that stuff, wonder where they got that £50,000 from :O

because i'm 'old' i actually have some life experience ...

I also realise when people are having a #first worldproblems moment ...

Because i'm old i've been a student of a number of HEIs , having done part of one underraduate award at the the first HEI , havign completed a second undergradayue award at the Second HEI and undertaken a post -registration graduate certificate at a third .

I also remember being threatend with academic sanction for none 'work' related browsing in office hours on JANET connections ...

Students Unions are funded by subscriptions from Students ( althopugh this may be somewhat hidden by being part of University fees ) and by their commercially generated income ...

JCR/MCR/SCR are funded by college fees / accomodation rent

Latest