The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eboracum7
Huh, well I never included them on mine. Didn't seem to make a difference?

The guidance has been made clearer in the last 3-5 years. Prior to that the guidance on whether to include U grades or not was mixed (guidance from UCAS call centre contradicted the declaration).

Original post by badboyblonde69
i may risk it in that case, when did you apply for uni exactly? its possible they changed the rules since. thanks

It's a stupid risk to take but you're supposed to be an adult so it's your risk to take.
Original post by zippyRN
Unfortunately for you the HCPC, NMC , SRA among others don;t share your view ...

So you know what those organisations views are on this particular matter? The DBS is the organisation that provides criminal records and places people on the barred lists. This would not be considered, it's ridiculous. No employer would care.
It's a stupid risk to take but you're supposed to be an adult so it's your risk to take.

I understand that, but i feel a U is enough to turn away most universities. it seems the risk of getting caught it fairly low but i'll think it over
So you know what those organisations views are on this particular matter? The DBS is the organisation that provides criminal records and places people on the barred lists. This would not be considered, it's ridiculous. No employer would care.

people have been struck of the registers of all aforementioned Statutory regulators for fraud involving misdeclaration of qualifications from Public exams ( vs mis representation of registration bearing qualifications)

e.g. http://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/news/southport-news/north-west-paramedic-struck-lying-6623020

then of course there is also the view of the GTC on teachers who allow tests to be manipulated http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/headteacher-driven-results-struck-after-8541393?pageNumber=3
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
people have been struck of the registeres of all aforementioned Statutory regulators for fraud involving mis declaration of qualifications from Public exams ( vs mis representation of registration bearing qualifications)

Yes, that is true, but a "U" grade rating is a fail and technically doesn't amount to a qualification at all.

UCAS ask you to include U grades in the small print but as to repercussions? There won't be any as it's not like you're misrepresenting qualifications, because a U grade isn't a qualification. It's an easily defensible position to be in, especially since they change their minds about including U grades or not frequently enough.
Reply 565
Original post by Juno
Not yet, no. If they want it they will ask for it. If you send it before they've asked they won't be expecting it so won't do anything with it anyway

got it,thanks!
I understand that, but i feel a U is enough to turn away most universities. it seems the risk of getting caught it fairly low but i'll think it over

They won't care. But they WILL care if they find out later you applied fraudulently.

And check your logic: you think universities care about a U and will filter any U applicants into their bin. But consider this, those universities will also be double-checking applications to discover if applicants are lying...

Also there are *many* instances of senior company executives losing their jobs because they previously lied on their job applications, often many many years after saying they had qualifications they didn't legitimately have.

It's simply a question of honesty and trust.

But of course you are now an adult and can make your own mind up...
(edited 7 years ago)

The risk is very high - between your reference, UCAS links with exam boards and the requirements to show your certificates/results slips at enrolment (plus universities can access this https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/national-pupil-database if they want to check things) and HESA/HEFCE match your records to the NPD once you enrol.

I work for a university - I've worked at universities for over a decade. Universities don't give a **** about the odd failed exam. We DO give a **** about applicants who try to withhold information to distort the selection process. Those applicants do not make good learners. Noone wants to teach someone who is more interested in gaming the system than playing fairly.
Yes, that is true, but a "U" grade rating is a fail and technically doesn't amount to a qualification at all.

UCAS ask you to include U grades in the small print but as to repercussions? There won't be any as it's not like you're misrepresenting qualifications, because a U grade isn't a qualification. It's an easily defensible position to be in, especially since they change their minds about including U grades or not frequently enough.

I know of at least 2 cases of students into the second year of medicine and nursing degrees who were chucked off their courses when undisclosed grades came to light.

Lying in an official document is a fitness to practice issue in those courses/professions.

For other courses it might not be so serious but the RISK of declaring a U grade is pretty much nil. Universities don't care about one crap grade - we do care about people trying to get one over on us because they think their judgement on what makes a successful applicants is better than ours.
Original post by PQ
I know of at least 2 cases of students into the second year of medicine and nursing degrees who were chucked off their courses when undisclosed grades came to light.

Lying in an official document is a fitness to practice issue in those courses/professions.

For other courses it might not be so serious but the RISK of declaring a U grade is pretty much nil. Universities don't care about one crap grade - we do care about people trying to get one over on us because they think their judgement on what makes a successful applicants is better than ours.

That's fair enough if that's how it works. Why do you even have to include qualifications you may have done badly in though I do wonder, why is that even a requirement if your good grades are enough to get you through? Seems a bit odd, but then It's been a while since I left education now.
Reply 570
Hey!

I'm a student who's applying for 2017 entry to university. I failed year 12, achieving BDU in Business, Computer Science and Maths respectively, due to not taking anything seriously and messing around. I was very disappointed in my self so I moved to another sixth form and resat year 12, doing a BTEC Diploma in Business and A level maths, in my AS I achieved a D* and a B in maths. I'm currently doing A2 Maths and finishing my last 6 units of my Diploma.

Do I need to put the BDU in my "Education" on UCAS? and will this affect my chances of getting into university to do Economics, even if I would meet the entry requirements they want now?

Lancaster
Nottingham
Coventry
Bristol
Leicester
Original post by bhfn
Hey!

I'm a student who's applying for 2017 entry to university. I failed year 12, achieving BDU in Business, Computer Science and Maths respectively, due to not taking anything seriously and messing around. I was very disappointed in my self so I moved to another sixth form and resat year 12, doing a BTEC Diploma in Business and A level maths, in my AS I achieved a D* and a B in maths. I'm currently doing A2 Maths and finishing my last 6 units of my Diploma.

Do I need to put the BDU in my "Education" on UCAS? and will this affect my chances of getting into university to do Economics, even if I would meet the entry requirements they want now?

Lancaster
Nottingham
Coventry
Bristol
Leicester

Stickied thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4337910
That's fair enough if that's how it works. Why do you even have to include qualifications you may have done badly in though I do wonder, why is that even a requirement if your good grades are enough to get you through? Seems a bit odd, but then It's been a while since I left education now.

Because for every applicant like the OP who is getting in a tizz about declaring a single U grade there are 5 applicants who completely failed all of the ASs or most of their GCSEs who are deliberately trying to hide that fact (because for a small number of courses/universities that level of failure MIGHT be a red flag*).

The idea is that everyone declares their entire education history - and then universities have a full picture to make a decision on.

*and even for many of these courses a terrible failure isn't always a straight rejection - universities are looking for applicants who will peak academically while they're AT university not people who peaked at AS level. But there are a small number courses that have clear evidence that exam success is the best predictor of degree success.
People on here always say you have to. But most don't, I had a D in Chemistry and I didn't list it on UCAS. I've graduated now and all is well :wink:
Original post by bhfn
and will this affect my chances of getting into university to do Economics, even if I would meet the entry requirements they want now?

Lancaster
Nottingham
Coventry
Bristol
Leicester

As @jneill says - the stickied thread explains this - yes you have to declare it.

For your second question - ring them up and ask what their policy is for applicants like yourself who restarted Yr12 (and so got your A levels/BTECs over 3 years and not 2). Most universities/courses wont care, others might have a policy of "nope" while others might be more likely to make an offer above their standard offer for people in your situation.

(Bristol is likely to be the pickiest and they say they consider resit applicants: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2017/economics.pdf )
Original post by Twinpeaks
People on here always say you have to. But most don't, I had a D in Chemistry and I didn't list it on UCAS. I've graduated now and all is well :wink:

If you'd included it then it's unlikely anything different would have happened:wink:

We had a horrible case on TSR a couple of years ago of a widening access med applicant who said she was sitting AS chem in January, sat the exam and got a C and resat in June and got a B. Because she hadn't stated on her UCAS form that she was planning to resit the AS chem in June she was rejected (and no amount of appealing made any impact).

It's rare for universities to reject on technicalities like this - but they can and do (and often when they do it it's in August when there's less time to come up with a back up plan).

I'd much rather applicants protected themselves against that very slim chance.
Original post by PQ
If you'd included it then it's unlikely anything different would have happened:wink:

We had a horrible case on TSR a couple of years ago of a widening access med applicant who said she was sitting AS chem in January, sat the exam and got a C and resat in June and got a B. Because she hadn't stated on her UCAS form that she was planning to resit the AS chem in June she was rejected (and no amount of appealing made any impact).

It's rare for universities to reject on technicalities like this - but they can and do (and often when they do it it's in August when there's less time to come up with a back up plan).

I'd much rather applicants protected themselves against that very slim chance.

I'd "like" pretty much all your posts PQ, as they're all very useful but such is the restriction :smile:
Reply 577
Original post by PQ
As @jneill says - the stickied thread explains this - yes you have to declare it.

For your second question - ring them up and ask what their policy is for applicants like yourself who restarted Yr12 (and so got your A levels/BTECs over 3 years and not 2). Most universities/courses wont care, others might have a policy of "nope" while others might be more likely to make an offer above their standard offer for people in your situation.

(Bristol is likely to be the pickiest and they say they consider resit applicants: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2017/economics.pdf )

Ah right! Thank you!
I have already resat the modules do I simply enter the best grades and ignore the originals in UCAS ?
Original post by im.a.witch
I have already resat the modules do I simply enter the best grades and ignore the originals in UCAS ?

If you got an AS grade on your results slip then you must enter an AS grade. If that happened in two different years then you enter that twice.

See the first post in the stickied "Declaring Grades" thread in the Applications and UCAS forum

Latest

Trending

Trending