The Student Room Group

History of Art A-level to be axed

Only AQA currently offers Art History A-level but from 2018 it will be completely withdrawn as a result of Gove's reforms.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/oct/12/last-art-history-a-level-axed-after-michael-gove-cull-of-soft-subjects

Did you study History of Art? What do you think of the news?

And should any other subjects be cancelled? Which ones and why?

#GetsPopcorn
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Only AQA currently offers Art History A-level but from 2018 it will be completely withdrawn as a result of Gove's reforms.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/oct/12/last-art-history-a-level-axed-after-michael-gove-cull-of-soft-subjects

#GetsPopcorm

I don't know fully how I really feel about it but it doesn't feel good.

I get why the Government is encouraging more core subject take up because that does serve the student well, but to go so far that entire subjects like the History of Art are scrapped feels too far.

Surely people should take a mix of subjects to get themselves good grades? Which will mean a mix of things they are skilled and and things they are interested in. My worry is that someone who might have got an A or A* in History of Art, might get a lower score in something else.
Reply 2
Original post by Captain Jack
My worry is that someone who might have got an A or A* in History of Art, might get a lower score in something else.

Indeed this.

Although in my day I did Art A-level and had to do the HoA paper to make it "academic enough" to be acceptable when applying to university.

I failed the paper, which meant my B in Fine Art became an F... :frown:
Original post by jneill

#GetsPopcorn

General studies should be cancelled.
Why- its the most crappy, useless, waste of space subject ever. Quite a few unis dont take it anyway.
Original post by jneill
Indeed this.

Although in my day I did Art A-level and had to do the HoA paper to make it "academic enough" to be acceptable when applying to university.

I failed the paper, which meant my B in Fine Art became an F... :frown:

Blimey, sorry to hear that :frown:

Original post by Emma:-)
General studies should be cancelled.
Why- its the most crappy, useless, waste of space subject ever. Quite a few unis dont take it anyway.

It must have some use to some people otherwise it wouldn't exist? I mean, I get it if you are really academic, but if you're not it could give some skills? (I say all this having been forced to do it too and also thinking it was a waste of my time).
Reply 5

Oh it all worked out in the end - I mean look I'm now a TSR ST member. Not bad eh :wink:

It must have some use to some people otherwise it wouldn't exist? I mean, I get it if you are really academic, but if you're not it could give some skills? (I say all this having been forced to do it too and also thinking it was a waste of my time).

I had to do it as well- at our 6th form it was compulsory as well. We never had any lessons in it, only 1 or 2 close to the exams. We didnt learn anything in it- just had speakers come in. Our head of 6th form preached about how amazing it was, but when it came to applying to unis, people found that some unis didnt even accept it, and the ones that did didnt really like it.
inb4 people say all non stem:colonhash:
As a scientist, I have to say I was very disheartened at seeing this. I presume they've kept Film Studies and Dance...

Crazy. History of Art is a fabulous subject, and some of the most interesting conversations I had were with students of it. A great loss.
I don't like this. I'm sure a decent amount of GCSE students will be disappointed it's no longer going to be on offer.

I get why the Government is encouraging more core subject take up because that does serve the student well, but to go so far that entire subjects like the History of Art are scrapped feels too far.

Surely people should take a mix of subjects to get themselves good grades? Which will mean a mix of things they are skilled and and things they are interested in. My worry is that someone who might have got an A or A* in History of Art, might get a lower score in something else.

Totally agree with this.
Sad when its such a respectable subject and had been redesigned to cover much more world art.
Only 839 doing it though v 43,000 for art and design.
in Brexit Britain we don't need poncy Art Historians to witter on about chiaroscuro ... a nice Vettriano or that Green Lady are just the ticket thank you very much
I'm angry.

I must say that my loyalties lie with Archaeology, which is also going to suffer this same fate.

What I really don't get is how we're supposed to be encouraging students; according to my classciv teacher whose subject is ALSO being axed, school/college should be a place where they fuel your addiction for learning. But how can we do that when we're taking opportunities away? It's not only about how we are going to teach kids these wonderful and diverse subjects, but how we INSPIRE them.

I took archaeology on a whim, I thought that it might compliment my interest in classics, but you know what? It's conquered it. I've decided that I want to go into classical archaeology, but I'm afraid that if I had never seen "archaeology" at the top of the list of subjects, I would never have had that spark that made me think "this is me". We're taking opportunities away from students, and that will result in much less students searching for those opportunities when they're wondering what to do in their lives.

It just amazes me, when I applied I was actually considering taking Classical Civilisation, Archaelogy and History of Art. (I didn't choose history of art simply because I'm awful at practical art). We shouldn't be cancelling any subjects, these especially, we should be promoting them, inspiring students to do what is right for them, and not force them into a box that they don't want to be in. I sincerely hope that AQA will choose to continue with these subjects or anther board picks them up.

There is so much more I'd like to say and let the exam board hear, but I will leave it at this.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm supposed to take it next year, should I switch?
History subjects are of great value in my own opinion; I say this as a former chemistry undergraduate who studied classics AS, it's a shame they're scrapping it
Actually they've decided to keep it as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending