The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It has been the case for many years that people have been critical of the ideology.

But from the first page you'll have people complaining about yet another thread. I think the majority of TSR are indifferent or sympathetic to the religion.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
It has been the case for many years that people have been critical of the ideology.

But from the first page you'll have people complaining about yet another thread. I think the majority of TSR are indifferent or sympathetic to the religion.

Thank you - that's a useful perspective from a longstanding member.
The majority of TSR users are fawningly sympathetic towards Islamic. It's like the thinking part of their brains turn off whenever Islam is mentioned and they get turned onto "platitudinous inconsiquenstial cognitive dissonance mode".

There are a few people on here who are as reasonably critical and concerned about Islam as anyone should be about such an ultra-conservative ideology followed by such a gigantic number of people.

I can't think of many people on here who are unreasonably unpleasant about Islam.
Ideologies such of Islam have to be criticised. They also have to be amended for the good of the world.
Original post by Reality Check
I'm no friend to Islam. But there seem to be a regular crop of threads encouraging criticism and hostility to Islam. Is this a new TSR thing, or has it always been thus?

No TSR is not Islamophobic but it is largely Anti-EU which is bizzare considering its us young people, students who have the most to loose by leaving the EU and many of us weren't even able to vote because you had to be 18. It was the older selfish retired generation who could vote, who've had their careers that's taking hope and aspiration from the young who haven't even started yet and never even got a say.

Yes I find it odd that a lot of TSR members are pro-Brexit
(edited 7 years ago)
'Islamophobia' is a problematic word that conflates criticism of Islam with anti-Muslim bigotry. A word commonly utilized by insecure Muslim apologists/apologists for Islam, to stifle discussion and criticism of Islam. The continued use of such a contentious word as 'Islamophobia', seems to be losing its usefulness and has become a cliche.

Spoiler

Islam is an ideology that not only makes numerous unsubstantiated claims, but contributes to much suffering and problems in this world i.e. it permits slavery, sex/rape of captives, child marriage, FGM, persecution of LGBT individuals, apostates and blasphemers/those critical and opposed to the religion.

Islam is not immune to criticism and opposition.
Original post by Ambitious1999
No TSR is not Islamophobic but it is largely Anti-EU which is bizzare considering its us young people, students who have the most to loose by leaving the EU and many of us weren't even able to vote because you had to be 18. It was the older selfish retired generation who could vote, who've had their careers that's taking hope and aspiration from the young who haven't even started yet and never even got a say.

this is relevant to the op
Invariably when you ask what "TSR"'s opinions on a particular issue are, people perceive it differently. In any highly contentious one like this, people on either side perceive the other (or at least their stereotype of the other) as being the dominant view.

My problem is not so much that people don't like Islam, I don't like it myself, but that a lot of people seem to want to see it as a simplistic all-explaining phenomenon. There's a tendency towards some kind of primordialist view that Islam, in itself, inherently tends to make its adherents bad people, and also a tendency to explain Islamist terrorism and violence as wholly are at least heavily primarily motivated by religious devotion. It's missing all of the social and political nuances that a serious critique needs.
Reply 9
"Is the TSR islamophobic?"
"the TSR"
"the The Student Room"

Over 17 million people voted for Brexit, of all ages, classes, creeds and ethnicities.

It is the dominant political question of our time and has split the nation down the middle.

So why on earth would you be surprised that this website would be representative of this great debate with a number of posters on each side of the divide?? :confused:

Every TSR poll I can remember seeing had a majority for Remain. But as you'd expect there are all manner of political views displayed on here.
I couldn't give a **** what religion people follow. There's a distinction between most Muslims who just get on with life and Islamists, the latter being a plague IMO.
Yeah, there are WAY too many Islam threads and it's getting boring AF
It's just a few guys making all the threads

Complete nonsense.
Reply 15

It's not actually majority anti-EU, it's just a vocal minority, many of whom are idiots, who post countless pointless threads.

The same goes for Islam.
How is being anti-EU anything to do with the OP's original point about tsr being Islamophobic?? Anything to bring up Brexit, eh? I am sick to the back teeth of reading about bloody Brexit!!

And to answer the OP's original question... No, tsr is not Islamophobic. It might seem that way sometimes but it's just a minority of crazy, conspiracy-theory types that think Islam is going to take over the world who are most vocal about it...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
The islamophobia has been going on for years, when I used to cone hear years ago it was rife and there was usually a small crop of these types of threads popping up every nown and again.
Reply 18
If, by "Islamophobic", you mean the OED definition "Dislike of Islam, especially as a political force", then it should be Islamophobic, because any rational, educated person should dislike Islamic ideology, and a discussion forum for students should be mostly used by rational, educated people (although the evidence often suggests otherwise).
We should encourage criticism of all enterprises, organisations, ideologies and beliefs.

So is antisemitism.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending