The Student Room Group

Is a MEng in Civ Engineering worth more than a BEng to enter finance/banking/consulta

Currently studying for my MEng at UCL, have already achieved a 2.1 BEng. Didn't apply for grad jobs last year so was afraid of having nothing to do for a year so jumped on the MEng despite hating my course. Now I am considering cancelling the MEng and just going with my BEng. I want to work in finance/banking/consultancy and wanted to know whether or not a BEng makes a difference to a MEng?

Thanks to everyone who responds.
Original post by GreenOut
Currently studying for my MEng at UCL, have already achieved a 2.1 BEng. Didn't apply for grad jobs last year so was afraid of having nothing to do for a year so jumped on the MEng despite hating my course. Now I am considering cancelling the MEng and just going with my BEng. I want to work in finance/banking/consultancy and wanted to know whether or not a BEng makes a difference to a MEng?

No, the MEng is absolutely worthless outside of engineering. Most hiring managers in those industries wont know the difference between an MEng and a BEng.

It only makes sense to do MEng if you want to keep your options open in the event that you may eventually think of going back into engineering. If you're 100% sure that you wont, then it's a waste of time and money.

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about buying them more legitimate student time to do an internship in?
Original post by Joinedup
How about buying them more legitimate student time to do an internship in?

It's still not *worth* more in finance/consulting.

However, if anyone on the course were to consider ever going into engineering then sure, or if you liked the extra year just for interest reasons alone, sure, or if you, say, feel you could be better prepared for spring week applications in the second year of a four year course vs first year, sure.
Reply 5
Original post by LiquidCryztal
No, the MEng is absolutely worthless outside of engineering. Most hiring managers in those industries wont know the difference between an MEng and a BEng.

It only makes sense to do MEng if you want to keep your options open in the event that you may eventually think of going back into engineering. If you're 100% sure that you wont, then it's a waste of time and money.

Hi, I agree with you both though I'd like to ask whether or not you have any sources for this information? Or is it something that is widely accepted? Or is it just what you assume? Thank u
Hi, I agree with you both though I'd like to ask whether or not you have any sources for this information? Or is it something that is widely accepted? Or is it just what you assume? Thank u

Would you like me to write, then peer review and finally source a whole journal article on the benefits/disadvantages of doing an MEng vs a BEng for finance/consulting careers? Because that's not happening. If you want to confirm, call up/email different firms' HR teams for your own peace of mind.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Princepieman
Would you like me to write, then peer review and finally source a whole journal article on the benefits/disadvantages of doing an MEng vs a BEng for finance/consulting careers? Because that's not happening. If you want to confirm, call up/email different firms' HR teams for your own peace of mind.

No thanks that won't be necessary right now. If you could just answer the question that'd be great. I'll put it back here for you just in case you forgot:

I'd like to ask whether or not you have any sources for this information? Or is it something that is widely accepted? Or is it just what you assume? Thank u

No sources, just widely accepted.
No thanks that won't be necessary right now. If you could just answer the question that'd be great. I'll put it back here for you just in case you forgot:

I'd like to ask whether or not you have any sources for this information? Or is it something that is widely accepted? Or is it just what you assume? Thank u

My 'source' is HR, friends going through the process and bankers. Further, it would be 'widely accepted' amongst people with some exposure to the industry.

Not sure why this question is so important however

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
No sources, just widely accepted.

Original post by Princepieman
My 'source' is HR, friends going through the process and bankers. Further, it would be 'widely accepted' amongst people with some exposure to the industry.

Not sure why this question is so important however

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers guys. I reckon I'll just leave with my BEng this week and focus all my efforts on landing a graduate job. If anyone reading this has anything they feel may be useful (even in the slightest) please don't hesitate to share. I will be making my final decision this weekend and would like to hear from all possible angles before I cement my choice.

Thanks (:
Cheers guys. I reckon I'll just leave with my BEng this week and focus all my efforts on landing a graduate job. If anyone reading this has anything they feel may be useful (even in the slightest) please don't hesitate to share. I will be making my final decision this weekend and would like to hear from all possible angles before I cement my choice.

Thanks (:

Awesome, best of luck deciding

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks (:

Think about it like this, even if it takes you a while to find a graduate job, it would take just as long once you finish the MEng. Only difference is you'll be a year older and with more debt and probably then think to yourself "if I had left with a BEng, i'd probably have a job by now". You're making the right decision.
Reply 13
Think about it like this, even if it takes you a while to find a graduate job, it would take just as long once you finish the MEng. Only difference is you'll be a year older and with more debt and probably then think to yourself "if I had left with a BEng, i'd probably have a job by now". You're making the right decision.

Many thanks for the sincere response. I am currently fixing my CV and will make a plan of all companies I wish to apply for, what they require and their deadlines. My head feels so clear.

:smile:
Many thanks for the sincere response. I am currently fixing my CV and will make a plan of all companies I wish to apply for, what they require and their deadlines. My head feels so clear.

:smile:

just a heads up, apply way before deadline! apply as early as you can in the coming week/weeks, dont wait until november december
Reply 15
Original post by TheParham
just a heads up, apply way before deadline! apply as early as you can in the coming week/weeks, dont wait until november december

Thanks for the heads up :smile:
I originally did a BSEE [elect engineering], and went to work for the US Government. After a few years, i noticed that more and more new job applicants were walking in the door with master's degrees fresh out of school - i.e. this was their first full time job after uni. Their jobs were to be principally, if not totally engineering tasks BTW. I asked around a bit in the agency i was with, and was told effectively: "Yeah, you're doing a fine job - but you only have a bachelors........." The implication being that if i wanted to run a 'decent sized project' ["decent sized' at the time being considered 8 million $USD or more, that i would need something better than a BSEE. Armed with this, i went back to uni [at night - whilst working full time], and got my masters. Of course, as other commenters have noted - i was committed to being an engineer. I 'played' at being an 'economist', in that i was doing financial management of $2mUSD projects, but the 'long pole' in my tent was engineering direction of the project. I was working with a 'contracting officer' - who had the 'warrant' [i did not - that is, i could not 'bind the government' - i.e. commit the government to pay money - only he could do that]. He had about 10 of us working for him. He was an economist - not an engineer. He depended upon us to make the engineering decisions.

I found my time doing the masters to be well spent, and after i left the government, i found that it increased my salability as a contractor - but again, i was doing engineering, not economics.

Best of luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending