The Student Room Group

I know its late but... (Personal Statement)

Does anyone know how to structure a great personal statement for Medicine, and what kind of things I should be saying?

Any examples will be appreciated a lot!!!
1- why medicine
2- work experience - ( prove you have seen parts of medicine)
3-volunteering ( show you care caring )
4- prove you are interested (extra reading, lectures, any essays you have written, epq)
5- extra curricular ( try to relate it back to medicine)
6- sum it all up

are you applying next year? because the deadline for this year is in about two days
good luck in writing
Original post by CrystalSalvatore
1- why medicine
2- work experience - ( prove you have seen parts of medicine)
3-volunteering ( show you care caring )
4- prove you are interested (extra reading, lectures, any essays you have written, epq)
5- extra curricular ( try to relate it back to medicine)
6- sum it all up

are you applying next year? because the deadline for this year is in about two days
good luck in writing

Thanks man. No i'm applying this year :/ I'm trying to write one in a day.

Great idea? nah but its worth a shot.
Original post by Angelo12231
Thanks man. No i'm applying this year :/ I'm trying to write one in a day.

Great idea? nah but its worth a shot.

I guess but medicine personal statements require a huge amount of editing and making sure everything your write is relevant

heres a tip: when writing don't say i learnt communication and organisational skills, this just wastes word, don't just say it prove it
so i was able to talk to .... and i learnt that ....
or talking to .... made me value ...

any other questions feel free to ask (I may not be that great but i'll try )
Original post by CrystalSalvatore
I guess but medicine personal statements require a huge amount of editing and making sure everything your write is relevant

heres a tip: when writing don't say i learnt communication and organisational skills, this just wastes word, don't just say it prove it
so i was able to talk to .... and i learnt that ....
or talking to .... made me value ...

any other questions feel free to ask (I may not be that great but i'll try )

Yeah I know :frown: but I'll try and write it as best as I could. Shouldn't take too long since its not exactly an essay but I have some good content I can talk about. Once I finish it, will you be willing to take a look? friday night, tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Angelo12231
Yeah I know :frown: but I'll try and write it as best as I could. Shouldn't take too long since its not exactly an essay but I have some good content I can talk about. Once I finish it, will you be willing to take a look? friday night, tomorrow :smile:

i wouldn't mind but i don't think i would be the best as i am applying to medicine to, so all my knowledge is from my application and help from teachers

it may not be hard to write but cutting it down so it is 4000 characters is hard as you need to get rid of the "fluffy parts"

i think print off your statement tomorrow if you can and see if some teachers (preferably science or english)would look at it, also as people applying to medicine this year ( or english students they are good at rephraseing and condensing )

I think a medical student just posted a thread - asking medical students would be good as i may not know if my way works i mean i am applying too XD

if you know where you want to apply look on their website, see what skills they want and try to subtly add them to your statement
good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending