The Student Room Group

Further maths A level for Medicine

Hey guys. How are you all? I have a question that some of you might be able to answer. I really require some reliable information, so please do not just guess. If you know friends or you yourself have been in this kind of situation and have been successful, please inform me.

I have started year 12 and my a levels. I picked Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Italian.

I would like to study medicine at university and considering to go to some top medical schools like University of Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and Bart's school of med. I have heard that many universities do not consider further maths. Am i just then wasting my time by studying six extra modules or do unis really consider Further maths? Also since I am already meeting the requirements as in Chemistry and Biology and maths, would not having physics (like most med applicants do) put me to any relative disadvantage?

Thank you in advance to anyone who answers me. I appreciate your time.
Original post by MehdiK24
Hey guys. How are you all? I have a question that some of you might be able to answer. I really require some reliable information, so please do not just guess. If you know friends or you yourself have been in this kind of situation and have been successful, please inform me.

I have started year 12 and my a levels. I picked Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Italian.

I would like to study medicine at university and considering to go to some top medical schools like University of Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and Bart's school of med. I have heard that many universities do not consider further maths. Am i just then wasting my time by studying six extra modules or do unis really consider Further maths? Also since I am already meeting the requirements as in Chemistry and Biology and maths, would not having physics (like most med applicants do) put me to any relative disadvantage?

If medicine is your aim then don't bother with further maths. You need to focus on getting AAA and not overburden yourself.

As long as you have biology and chemistry you won't be at any disadvantage. Most medicine applicants don't have physics. Maths is not required subject either (only Cambridge require three sciences).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MehdiK24

There are many Unis that specifically say that they don't consider Further Maths as a separate a level. So I think it's better to focus on getting 3/4As instead of 2As and 2/3Bs.
im in yr 13 and I do maths, further maths, bio and chem and I applied for medicine. I was choosing between further maths and physics a level but i realised i found physics soooo boring and wouldve hated doing it whereas while further maths is hard its just a case of doing question until you get a topic. in that sense easier to revise because you know you just have to get your textbook and do exercises and practise ppqs. no required practicals as physics would have with the new a levels. I think doing further maths had a lot of smaller advantages as . Firstly doing 4 a levels instead of the standard 3 will be a big help if you apply for Barts because they use UCAS points in their shortlisting so instead of having a tariff of having 170 points (A*A*A predicted in bio maths and chem respectively) I had 218 points for an extra A prediction in f maths. Plus doing further maths makes normal maths a breeze- I find c1 c2 s1 and s2 easy because in comparison to the harder modules they seem really easy. secondly i think it made my mental maths really good for ukcat quantitative reasoning so i scored really high in that which literally saved my score. i think it will help for bmat as well because you get fast as things like simultaneous equations and they are easy in comparison to other stuff youve done. physics would help you for bmat and possibly for oxbridge interview if they ask you physics questions and generally it would be more useful for the actual medicine course but i found it too boring :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Naveen1412
im in yr 13 and I do maths, further maths, bio and chem and I applied for medicine. I was choosing between further maths and physics a level but i realised i found physics soooo boring and wouldve hated doing it whereas while further maths is hard its just a case of doing question until you get a topic. in that sense easier to revise because you know you just have to get your textbook and do exercises and practise ppqs. no required practicals as physics would have with the new a levels. I think doing further maths had a lot of smaller advantages as . Firstly doing 4 a levels instead of the standard 3 will be a big help if you apply for Barts because they use UCAS points in their shortlisting so instead of having a tariff of having 170 points (A*A*A predicted in bio maths and chem respectively) I had 218 points for an extra A prediction in f maths. Plus doing further maths makes normal maths a breeze- I find c1 c2 s1 and s2 easy because in comparison to the harder modules they seem really easy. secondly i think it made my mental maths really good for ukcat quantitative reasoning so i scored really high in that which literally saved my score. i think it will help for bmat as well because you get fast as things like simultaneous equations and they are easy in comparison to other stuff youve done. physics would help you for bmat and possibly for oxbridge interview if they ask you physics questions and generally it would be more useful for the actual medicine course but i found it too boring :redface:

Have you done the D1 module? Would you recommend doing D1 or S2 as a further maths AS module?
Original post by Himtiaz
Have you done the D1 module? Would you recommend doing D1 or S2 as a further maths AS module?

im learning d1 atm (only covered 1 chapter) and i just finished learning s2 and tbh although people say d1 is rly easy i found this chapter on algorithims confusing and found s2 easy because its all basic maths you just have to remember what order to do stuff and what to write for hypothesis tests- s2 is actually just as easy as s1 just more hypothesis testing which is easy marks and subbing stuff into formula. if i could choose i would prefer s2, d1 is boring, s2 you can get the hang of quickly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending