The Student Room Group

Counters Society Records and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eternaforest
Octal is used a lot in computing as well, especially as a sort of 'pointer' for bytes and binary digits

Also im thinking of working on the CTAM leaderboard generator again :wink:

Okay, thanks for the info!

Excellent, didn't you make me the last leader board generator? Though having said that, you had to add each user in manually under a different name... Wouldn't it be better if we could just input the TSR data, and get a leader board somehow? Anyway, I anticipate the overall leaderboard! (whether I include PT or not, is another matter...)
NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC:
Is sprint Tuesday a good idea?

Information: Every Tuesday (or any other day of the week that we decide) we have a competition to see who posts the most in 24 hours. A winner is declared.
Leaderboards are drawn up based on either a points system or a winner-takes-all system. Any thoughts?
Intrinsically, since 9 is number whereby it follows an obvious sequence ie 9, 18, 27, 36, etc - I presume that it would be a relatively easy number to count up in, as you will always know that the unit will increase, whilst the tens will increase. What could the number to reach be? :h: I was potentially thinking that this could be an idea for a counting thread! :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC:

Information: Every Tuesday (or any other day of the week that we decide) we have a competition to see who posts the most in 24 hours. A winner is declared.
Leaderboards are drawn up based on either a points system or a winner-takes-all system. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea :smile: Although what would also be necessary, if that, during Sprint Tuesday, the 10 post rule remains in place - as that can't be lifted, for obvious reasons. :tongue:
Original post by PerplexingGeode
Intrinsically, since 9 is number whereby it follows an obvious sequence ie 9, 18, 27, 36, etc - I presume that it would be a relatively easy number to count up in, as you will always know that the unit will increase, whilst the tens will increase. What could the number to reach be? :h: I was potentially thinking that this could be an idea for a counting thread! :smile:

Sounds like a good idea! :smile:
Unfortunately, though, it comes under the same category as the previous "let's have more counting threads" ideas; we previously had a large cull of counting threads and we almost had a 2nd cull, so I don't think it'd be wise to create more counting threads until the current ones have been completed :yep:
Original post by 04MR17
NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC:

That is an excellent idea! However, would there be a limit to the amount of consecutive wins allowed, if consecutive wins are permitted at all?

PRSOM! :smile:
Original post by spotify95
Sounds like a good idea! :smile:
Unfortunately, though, it comes under the same category as the previous "let's have more counting threads" ideas; we previously had a large cull of counting threads and we almost had a 2nd cull, so I don't think it'd be wise to create more counting threads until the current ones have been completed :yep:

Hmm... Okay! :smile: However, as someone previously mentioned - due to the fluctuating nature of the threads, it may take quite a long time before all of the current threads have been completed! :wink: :yep:
Original post by PerplexingGeode
Hmm... Okay! :smile: However, as someone previously mentioned - due to the fluctuating nature of the threads, it may take quite a long time before all of the current threads have been completed! :wink: :yep:

I know that it may take a while - however, when one thread is complete, we'll be able to create another, or resurrect one from the bin :smile: I believe it's a case of the amount of threads in action.
I thought this thread was closed?? :holmes:
Original post by mr T 999
I thought this thread was closed?? :holmes:
Not any more. We can't talk about it publicly but I can PM you if you want details.
Original post by 04MR17
Not any more. We can't talk about it publicly but I can PM you if you want details.

Ok pm me
Sounds like a good idea :smile: Although what would also be necessary, if that, during Sprint Tuesday, the 10 post rule remains in place - as that can't be lifted, for obvious reasons. :tongue:
Of course, the only reason I suggest Tuesday is that FG have a sticky saying tournament Tuesday, so I thought it appropriate. Shall I do a thread poll for what day to do it on?
Original post by 04MR17
Of course, the only reason I suggest Tuesday is that FG have a sticky saying tournament Tuesday, so I thought it appropriate. Shall I do a thread poll for what day to do it on?

You could do a poll to see what other people think, but then again if the whole of FG are doing Tournament Tuesday, then that might be a good idea for us, have our sprint day as Tuesday too :smile:
You could do a poll to see what other people think, but then again if the whole of FG are doing Tournament Tuesday, then that might be a good idea for us, have our sprint day as Tuesday too :smile:
Will do.:smile:
Hi everyone,
one smaller competition we want to introduce to the counting threads is a sprint day each week. Where there is a competition to get as many posts in 24 hours. The plan is to make this a recurring theme each week. See the poll at the top of this thread to help us decide which day of the week to hold this competition. Thanks for your input! And other suggestions to modify this idea would be much appreciated as are other ideas for small in-thread competitions, just post it in this thread.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Hi everyone,
one smaller competition we want to introduce tot he counting threads is a sprint day each week. Where there is a competition to get as many posts in 24 hours. The plan is to make this a recurring theme each week. See the poll at the top of this thread to help us decide which day of the week to hold this competition. Thanks for your input! And other suggestions to modify this idea would be much appreciated as are other ideas for small in-thread competitions, just post it in this thread.

Thanks.

Nice idea.
One I've little time for. I'd suggest my vote of the day I am most free on :rofl:
I'd probably not take part in it lol
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Nice idea.
One I've little time for. I'd suggest my vote of the day I am most free on :rofl:
I'd probably not take part in it lol
Have you had an offer?
Original post by 04MR17
Have you had an offer?

:shh:
Original post by 04MR17
Hi everyone,
one smaller competition we want to introduce tot he counting threads is a sprint day each week. Where there is a competition to get as many posts in 24 hours. The plan is to make this a recurring theme each week. See the poll at the top of this thread to help us decide which day of the week to hold this competition. Thanks for your input! And other suggestions to modify this idea would be much appreciated as are other ideas for small in-thread competitions, just post it in this thread.

Thanks.

Excellent, thanks for creating the poll :smile: This should definitely get the post rate going up quite a bit :smile:

I've voted already (but I won't say what day...)
I know that it may take a while - however, when one thread is complete, we'll be able to create another, or resurrect one from the bin :smile: I believe it's a case of the amount of threads in action.

Okay, I understand now - perhaps you are indeed correct in stating that we should stay with the four current CTAM type threads, as to prevent them from being culled. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest