The Student Room Group

Been offered a job ....but i have a problem... please help

So i got offer a job yesterday and now im waiting for my contract to arrive..

the start date is the end of November and i will be on a 6 month probation period

However, i didn't tell them i have a pre-booked holiday on the 16-29th December..

I was wondering how do i tell them? i know i should have told them in the interview but i was nervous and i completely forgot

If i was to tell them now, can they change there mind about giving me the job?

=/ would appreciate any advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i do get christmas eve and christmas day off... so im only going to be asking for 7/8days of ...
Reply 2
Original post by manny0121

the start date is the end of November and i will be on a 6 month probation period

However, i didn't tell them i have a pre-booked holiday on the 16-29th December..

I was wondering how do i tell them? i know i should have told them in the interview but i was nervous and i completely forgot

The sooner you tell them the sooner you will know what they say...

Call them this morning.
You probably shouldn't book a holiday when you're out of work...
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
The sooner you tell them the sooner you will know what they say...

Call them this morning.

could they take back there job offer? and i dont have a number to ring them on lol
Reply 5
could they take back there job offer? and i dont have a number to ring them on lol

They might, but probably not.

How did you hear about the job then? If it was via a recruiter contact them. They won't want to lose their "finders fee" so they will try to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
They might, but probably not.

How did you hear about the job then? If it was via a recruiter contact them. They won't want to lose their "finders fee" so they will try to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i applied through the website.. did the tests... phone interview which was someone from a different city and then got emailed an interview date....

going to wait for them to send me the contract before i call them.. think its the best choice as it puts me in control
more you put it off the more likely they'll withdraw, especially the time period you'll need to let them know in advance.
Reply 8
i applied through the website.. did the tests... phone interview which was someone from a different city and then got emailed an interview date....

going to wait for them to send me the contract before i call them.. think its the best choice as it puts me in control

So at least you know the company. Call the main reception and ask for their HR department.
I would definitely call them up and explain. It shouldn't be a problem. Jobs give you holiday allowance to take so you can recover and come back to work refreshed. Just remember, this has happened to loads of people as well - including me! I was offered a job and my start date was two weeks before a family holiday. When they offered me the job I just mentioned it, apologised if there was an inconvenience and double checked it was okay for me to still take. Honesty is always the best policy!
Reply 10
I know someone whos been working there and he told me nobody gets off christmas week, hes been trying for the last 4 years =/

apparently its a very busy busy week .... going to give them a call on Monday morning.... hope they don't retract the job offer =/

What's more important going on holiday or getting a job?
And the answer should not be the holiday
All you do is type the name of the company on google to find their number, say you forgot to tell them about it in the interview, ask if it's ok to go on holiday, tell them you will cancel the holiday if they need you to start asap and if they say no then cancel the holiday even if you can't get a refund because you can go on holiday anytime and it's really hard to get a job in the first place and might be harder to get another job
Plus If you had told them in the interview they might not have chosen you for the job
I always say i have no holidays in interviews but that's partly because it's true but if i did i would still lie to get the job then ring and tell them afterwards because if i was not offered the job i would have thought it was because i said i have a holiday booked and can not start when they want me to.
But remember the job is more important than the holiday
Reply 12
The reason i have to go abroad is because my first cousin is getting married... i did know about it before but like you said i lied because i thought they wouldnt give me the job.... but now that ive been offered the job and waiting the contract im going to give them a call and see what they say.....
Reply 13
The reason i have to go abroad is because my first cousin is getting married... i did know about it before but like you said i lied because i thought they wouldnt give me the job.... but now that ive been offered the job and waiting the contract im going to give them a call and see what they say.....

So it's a week later and you still haven't contacted them? Call them today, now.

Well that's ok then if it's a wedding, if you tell them that maybe they will understand but i would lie again and say it's a funeral you have to go to because they can't be that unsympathetic not to let you go to that but no guarantee they will think a wedding is a good excuse. It might seem wrong to say it's a funeral but your just trying to secure that job for when you come back and they'll never know it's not true
Years ago a work colleague lied about going to a funeral just to get a day off work or it could have been a couple of days off that she had, i can't remember exactly
But if you don't feel comfortable saying that then just be honest and say it's a wedding.
Reply 15
Original post by jneill
So it's a week later and you still haven't contacted them? Call them today, now.

i called them yesterday a HR call centre for that company as thats the only number i have ... they told me to write them an email which i have and they will forward it to the correct person
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Judge Jules
Well that's ok then if it's a wedding, if you tell them that maybe they will understand but i would lie again and say it's a funeral you have to go to because they can't be that unsympathetic not to let you go to that but no guarantee they will think a wedding is a good excuse. It might seem wrong to say it's a funeral but your just trying to secure that job for when you come back and they'll never know it's not true
Years ago a work colleague lied about going to a funeral just to get a day off work or it could have been a couple of days off that she had, i can't remember exactly
But if you don't feel comfortable saying that then just be honest and say it's a wedding.

Mate we think exactly the same, but the problem is that the wedding is abroad on the 15th of december and i start on the 29th of november.... so the only way i can say im going to a funeral is maybe on the day i fly

i haven't booked the ticket for myself yet but my family have
You really need to tell them ASAP. The longer you leave it, the worse it will be for them - so the worse it will be for you.
Mate we think exactly the same, but the problem is that the wedding is abroad on the 15th of december and i start on the 29th of november.... so the only way i can say im going to a funeral is maybe on the day i fly

i haven't booked the ticket for myself yet but my family have

I'm sure it will be okay because your not just saying it's a holiday but a wedding too
Years ago When i started a new job some of the other employees who started same time as myself all had holidays booked and they were all allowed to go. They started the job, did a a week or 2 then went on holiday. I did'nt think they would be allowed to because they had just started so i would not worry about it too much.
All you can do now is wait for their reply
Reply 19
Original post by Judge Jules
I'm sure it will be okay because your not just saying it's a holiday but a wedding too
Years ago When i started a new job some of the other employees who started same time as myself all had holidays booked and they were all allowed to go. They started the job, did a a week or 2 then went on holiday. I did'nt think they would be allowed to because they had just started so i would not worry about it too much.
All you can do now is wait for their reply

thanks for the advice

Latest

Trending

Trending