The Student Room Group

Smokers: why do you smoke?

Scroll to see replies

It's just nice and relaxing. I don't smoke tobacco, but do occasionally at a party or if a colleage offers a smoke after a long day of work. It's really not that addictive tbh, just needs a lil self control. Although I can already feel a little demon nagging me for a cig, I just ignore it and limit myself to about 1 or 2 a week.
I don't smoke but ngl when its a cold day and i blow and it looks like smoke it feels pretty cool lol... I'm guessing its because blowing smoke out your mouth looks pretty cool tbh...like a dragon.
Original post by Zargabaath
I'd rather not buy stocks when it comes to tobacco, it's quite a dodgy industry to have a hand in, in my opinion

It's highly regulated (which has its pros and cons), governments are tightening down on tobacco companies but they also can't resist the tax £££ they get.

Yes it may be ethically wrong to buy stock in a company whose sole objective is to increase tobacco sales and effectively kill off millions of people prematurely.

Still, doesn't stop Woodford (apparently UK's best fund manager) to allocate massive amounts of his portfolio to tobacco stocks.
I started because I just always liked the idea of being able to take a few minutes outside where nothing matters. That, and I'd heard a lot about how it helps people feel less stressed and stuff, and I was very very stressed. I just smoke socially now, but I'm looking at giving that up as well after a bit of a wake up call. I'm trying to be more health conscious, so I'm trying to quit completely. That being said, I struggle on a night out without one. I love having a few minutes to go off by myself without looking weird
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I started because I just always liked the idea of being able to take a few minutes outside where nothing matters. That, and I'd heard a lot about how it helps people feel less stressed and stuff, and I was very very stressed. I just smoke socially now, but I'm looking at giving that up as well after a bit of a wake up call. I'm trying to be more health conscious, so I'm trying to quit completely. That being said, I struggle on a night out without one. I love having a few minutes to go off by myself without looking weird

Doesn't it cost a lot to smoke though?
Original post by bhenchodd
Doesn't it cost a lot to smoke though?

Yeah, but if I just buy a pack of 10 for a night out it's just a bit more than the price of a drink, so it's not as big a deal
Yeah, but if I just buy a pack of 10 for a night out it's just a bit more than the price of a drink, so it's not as big a deal

On a night out, how many would you smoke?
On a night out, how many would you smoke?

Anywhere between 3 and 10, depending on how long I'm out, when my last night out was, how much I'm drinking, and if anyone else is smoking
Anywhere between 3 and 10, depending on how long I'm out, when my last night out was, how much I'm drinking, and if anyone else is smoking

Have you ever felt nicotine withdrawal? Going through 10 cigarettes in one night is a lot, do you just keep lighting up?
Have you ever felt nicotine withdrawal? Going through 10 cigarettes in one night is a lot, do you just keep lighting up?

No, tbh. I felt more of an urge to smoke before I started smoking at all. I'd be standing around and I'd just crave one. I don't know why, maybe because I'd been around them so much as a kid, but that's where it stemmed from I guess. I don't crave the nicotine, more the social aspect of it. It's something to do with my hands, and gets me some quiet time when I need it. The drunker I am, the more I smoke. If I'm really drunk, I'll quite happily sit outside and just keep lighting up until I feel like I've overdone it
No, tbh. I felt more of an urge to smoke before I started smoking at all. I'd be standing around and I'd just crave one. I don't know why, maybe because I'd been around them so much as a kid, but that's where it stemmed from I guess. I don't crave the nicotine, more the social aspect of it. It's something to do with my hands, and gets me some quiet time when I need it. The drunker I am, the more I smoke. If I'm really drunk, I'll quite happily sit outside and just keep lighting up until I feel like I've overdone it

Which brand do you smoke?
Which brand do you smoke?

I smoke Richmond's. That being said, I always grab Marlboro menthols when I see them but that's very rare
I smoke Richmond's. That being said, I always grab Marlboro menthols when I see them but that's very rare

Richmond is owned by Imperial Tobacco.....

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/i/imperial-brands-group-ordinary-10p

Marlboro is the most famous brand in the world owned by Altria Group.
Richmond is owned by Imperial Tobacco.....

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/i/imperial-brands-group-ordinary-10p

Marlboro is the most famous brand in the world owned by Altria Group.

Interesting
Interesting

Tobacco market is essentially very closed, only a few big players in the market.

Altria Group, Reynolds American, British American Tobacco and Imperial Tobacco are the big guys.
Ironically the CEO of Imperial Tobacco used to go to the sister school of my high school (Tiffin Girls School). I bet she is happy making millions killing off people.
Tobacco market is essentially very closed, only a few big players in the market.

Altria Group, Reynolds American, British American Tobacco and Imperial Tobacco are the big guys.

Yeah, I had noticed that recently actually. Especially with Imperial owning a lot of the cheaper brands
Yeah, I had noticed that recently actually. Especially with Imperial owning a lot of the cheaper brands

Out of all those companies Imperial Tobacco has performed very well over the last few years, in the super long run Altria Group has outperformed them all. Mainly due to the buzz of the 80s and 90s with marlboro.

If I was an investor (which I am), my money would be on Reynolds American. It's the most fairly priced stock and holds the famous Camel brand of cigarettes. When stocks inflate, a lot of their future earnings get priced in, so we seek value in an expensive tobacco stock market.

These are still long term plays, double your money every 4-5 years on average. It's a super defensive sector, no recession will stop people smoking!
(edited 7 years ago)
They conveniently always leave out how tax raked in by tobacco products is higher then NHS spending on tobacco, but they don't truly care about such a thing. They don't try and lobby for more of the tax to be put straight into the NHS, nope, they'd rather get a power trip by acting self-righteous and attempting to control other people.
You can get your own back by buying some tobacco stock!

I recommend Reynolds American, come off a slight correction, good dividend + dividend cover, ok P/E ratio (sustainable in a sense).

Consider what you are funding. If you could buy highly lucrative stocks in a heroin dealing organisation, and know that you'd not get caught, would you?

Quick Reply

Latest