The Student Room Group

BM5 Southampton Medical Applicants 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marsbar3007
Lol I thought Southampton had higher cut off's ??

first year they did it it was 700 but now has been around the 640s for last 2 years i think
Original post by jemmaaa0853
Hi everyone, I've applied to Birmingham, Leicester, Southampton and Sheffield!
GCSEs: 10 A*, 1 A
A levels: A*AA (I'm on a gap year)
UKCAT: 2270
So nervous to hear back but I know it could be months. Where has everyone else applied to?:biggrin:

Great Stats, I think you'll hear back from all of them
Original post by Neostigmine
Np. :h:

Ah fair enough.
You should be able to catch up no problem but I would still be hounding that doctor everyday. If it gets too late in the year deferred entry with a guaranteed spot isn't the worst!

Fingers crossed and good luck!

My son applied this year after a gap year one of the eligibility criteria is 16-19 school discretionary grant which he got a lettter form school few weeks ago will that be ok as he as got his achieved A levels which all 3 A*s so didn't need to go back to school but last year was rejected by two post interview and two pre interview ,he didn't know about Southampton.He is also eligible for two other criteria.
I believe so yes. It's what I did :yes:

Hi my son is applying with a 16-19 years bursary criteria whitch was at schools discretion because we get child tax credits benefits,He is now on Gap year but school as given him a letter to say he has a bursary during studying A levels he has achieved is A levels .so not at school now will he be ok for this criteria,He did ring admission the lady said it was ok but he didn't say he left school but did say he is on a Gap year but did get bursary while at school and has a letter from school.He is also eligible for two other criterias .Anyone has applied during Gap year using bursary criteria.
How long was it after you sent off your applications did you guys get these welcome emails from Southampton?
I havent got one from Southampton but did get emails from the other choices.
Original post by S1966
Hi my son is applying with a 16-19 years bursary criteria whitch was at schools discretion because we get child tax credits benefits,He is now on Gap year but school as given him a letter to say he has a bursary during studying A levels he has achieved is A levels .so not at school now will he be ok for this criteria,He did ring admission the lady said it was ok but he didn't say he left school but did say he is on a Gap year but did get bursary while at school and has a letter from school.He is also eligible for two other criterias .Anyone has applied during Gap year using bursary criteria.

This is absolutely fine. I did exactly the same, applying in a gap year and the bursary I got was only for Yr 12. So I hadn't had it for 2 years and that was still fine. They like gap year students and he will not be penalised for it.
Original post by S1966
My son applied this year after a gap year one of the eligibility criteria is 16-19 school discretionary grant which he got a lettter form school few weeks ago will that be ok as he as got his achieved A levels which all 3 A*s so didn't need to go back to school but last year was rejected by two post interview and two pre interview ,he didn't know about Southampton.He is also eligible for two other criteria.

I would suggest that he reconsiders applying for bm6 if he has 3 A stars though. They won't penalise him for that if he does apply, but there are far more applicants for every place on the BM6 course than for most 5 year courses.
Original post by Gap yaaah
How long was it after you sent off your applications did you guys get these welcome emails from Southampton?

Varies each year. They seem to be busy this time of year and forget to send them out. Some people who applied early got a welcome every day for a week by accident so they might be being very cautious this time aha
I would suggest that he reconsiders applying for bm6 if he has 3 A stars though. They won't penalise him for that if he does apply, but there are far more applicants for every place on the BM6 course than for most 5 year courses.

Thank you for the information about the bursary he got his in year 13 because we didn't know about the bursary in year 12 so missed out.
Regarding he applying to year Bm6 the reason is he doesn't have good GCSEs ,only 3 A * 3 As and rest all Bs at Southampton BM 5 he would need 7A* lots of universites score GCSEs ,the school he attend was very low at GCSEs rate,in sixth form he really worked hard used at lot of information online and some tuition helped him to get excellent grades at A levels,and he was the only child in the whole school to get straight A*s ,The school was in needs to improve criteria.
Varies each year. They seem to be busy this time of year and forget to send them out. Some people who applied early got a welcome every day for a week by accident so they might be being very cautious this time aha

Alright cool,
Got a bit worried when I read people getting like 4 email,
I have re-checked the entry requirements and ucas like 10 times since lmao
This is absolutely fine. I did exactly the same, applying in a gap year and the bursary I got was only for Yr 12. So I hadn't had it for 2 years and that was still fine. They like gap year students and he will not be penalised for it.

Did you get into medicine in the end
Alright cool,
Got a bit worried when I read people getting like 4 email,
I have re-checked the entry requirements and ucas like 10 times since lmao

Nah don't. As long as all good on UCAS it's usually fine. If you haven't heard in a week or 2 and everyone else has then maybe get in touch.

They will send a welcome to everyone, regardless of whether they meet requirements or not.
Original post by Failingstudent98
Southampton, queen Mary's, st George's and kings

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow you really want to go to London aha!
Original post by Bright_Gift
Great Stats, I think you'll hear back from all of them

Thank you very much! I hope so :smile:
Next Step: Waiting for interviews

How do they decide who to interview?
They take the top UKCAT scores and interview those candidates.

Do I stand a chance for an interview? I got XYZ GCSEs and my predicted grades are $%^& and my personal statement......

If you are a school leaver (Under 21, A levels):

Spoiler

If you're a mature non-grad there are 24 interviews so you need to be in the top 24. Same rules apply but with slightly different entry requirements.

If you're a grad there are 48 interviews so you need to be in the top 48. Same rules apply but with slightly different entry requirements.

If you're an overseas applicant there are 72 interviews so you need to be in the top 72. Same rules apply but with slightly different entry requirements.

What were the scores last year?
See below

How many interviews are there?
See below

How many applicants are there?
See below

How many places are there?
See below

School Leavers (A levels)

Spoiler

Graduates applying to the 5 year course

Spoiler

Mature non-graduates

Spoiler

Overseas applicants

Spoiler

What UKCAT will I need to get an interview?
This is not going to be revealed until the end of August so no way to guess.

When will I hear?
This varies year to year, but usually between December and March. You will get 2 weeks notice so your interview will be 2 weeks or more from when you receive your invitation.

How will I hear?
Email most likely so check your junk mail.

Someone has an interview but I haven't heard yet, what does that mean?
Nothing at all. They decide who is getting one and everyone in that lucky list will get one eventually.

How should I prepare for interview?
Read your personal statement.
Read it.
No seriously, read it.

Read the news starting now. Read BBC News Health section if you don't buy a paper regularly. Check NHS Behind the Headlines to get the real understanding.

THIS is how I prepared and is a good place to start. And then here is what happened at my interview although the structure of interviews have since changed.

Where can I practice?
Your college should offer mock interviews.
I'm also happy to do interviews over skype or IM. Drop me a PM.

What will happen on the day?
You will have 2 interviews. 1 on your own with 2 interviewers and one in a group. These can happen in either order and you'll spend the rest of your time there in your group with some current medical students relaxing and chatting.

Who are the interviewers?
These are lecturers, doctors, teachers, admissions staff. Huge variety.

What is the individual interview?
This is a 20 minute interview based loosely on your personal statement with 2 interviewers. You can be asked a range of questions depending on what you have written. Expect - Why medicine? Why here?

What is the group interview?
This is also 20 minutes but you're also given 5 minutes to prepare. You'll be given a topic for discussion and after having 5 minutes to think about it, you will discuss it as a group in front of 2 interviewers.

What questions will come up?
I've listed 2 almost universal questions above. Otherwise the rest will vary enormously from person to person depending on what they say and what is in the PS. People get asked about the history of medicine, the future of medicine, books they mentioned they read, hobbies, ethics, law. Each interview is totally unique and so there isn't any point in trying to work out what you'll be asked.

Just practice answering anything (use the link to my blog on how I prepared) because that is the best way to a) come across unrehearsed and b) be able to answer complete curve ball questions.

What happens after interviews?
You'll get a letter saying if you have been successful or unsuccessful. If this is going to take a while you may get a "further consideration" letter that says you're still in the running. This may not happen until March/April, even if others hear before you.

How do they choose?
After each task, you will be listed as "suitable" or "not suitable". This is then taken into consideration with the rest of your application before an offer is made.

How will I get an offer?
This is an update on UCAS Track and then a letter follows.

What is the offer?
The offer is the same for everyone - AAA. It is unlikely that they will be lenient (eg A*A*B will not be accepted).

Is it conditional or unconditional?
Last year a few people got unconditional offers but these are reserved for people with their A levels in hand and proven. Everyone else gets an conditional offer until they get their results or prove old results.
If it is conditional and you send in your certificates, they may not update your status until August Results Day.
(edited 7 years ago)

I got mine the day after but the email was in the spam folder so be sure to check that!
Next Step: Waiting for interviews

How do they decide who to interview?
They take the top UKCAT scores and interview those candidates.

When will I hear?
This varies year to year, but usually between December and March. You will get 2 weeks notice so your interview will be 2 weeks or more from when you receive your invitation.

How will I hear?
Email most likely so check your junk mail.

Someone has an interview but I haven't heard yet, what does that mean?
Nothing at all. They decide who is getting one and everyone in that lucky list will get one eventually.

How should I prepare for interview?
Read your personal statement.
Read it.
No seriously, read it.

Read the news starting now. Read BBC News Health section if you don't buy a paper regularly. Check NHS Behind the Headlines to get the real understanding.

THIS is how I prepared and is a good place to start. And then here is what happened at my interview although the structure of interviews have since changed.

Where can I practice?
Your college should offer mock interviews.
I'm also happy to do interviews over skype or IM. Drop me a PM.

What will happen on the day?
You will have 2 interviews. 1 on your own with 2 interviewers and one in a group. These can happen in either order and you'll spend the rest of your time there in your group with some current medical students relaxing and chatting.

Who are the interviewers?
These are lecturers, doctors, teachers, admissions staff. Huge variety.

What is the individual interview?
This is a 20 minute interview based loosely on your personal statement with 2 interviewers. You can be asked a range of questions depending on what you have written. Expect - Why medicine? Why here?

What is the group interview?
This is also 20 minutes but you're also given 5 minutes to prepare. You'll be given a topic for discussion and after having 5 minutes to think about it, you will discuss it as a group in front of 2 interviewers.

What questions will come up?
I've listed 2 almost universal questions above. Otherwise the rest will vary enormously from person to person depending on what they say and what is in the PS. People get asked about the history of medicine, the future of medicine, books they mentioned they read, hobbies, ethics, law. Each interview is totally unique and so there isn't any point in trying to work out what you'll be asked.

Just practice answering anything (use the link to my blog on how I prepared) because that is the best way to a) come across unrehearsed and b) be able to answer complete curve ball questions.

What happens after interviews?
You'll get a letter saying if you have been successful or unsuccessful. If this is going to take a while you may get a "further consideration" letter that says you're still in the running. This may not happen until March/April, even if others hear before you.

How do they choose?
After each task, you will be listed as "suitable" or "not suitable". This is then taken into consideration with the rest of your application before an offer is made.

How many interviews and how many offers?
457 interviews and 290 offers.

How will I get an offer?
This is an update on UCAS Track and then a letter follows.

What is the offer?
The offer is the same for everyone - AAA. It is unlikely that they will be lenient (eg A*A*B will not be accepted).

Is it conditional or unconditional?
Last year a few people got unconditional offers but these are reserved for people with their A levels in hand and proven. Everyone else gets an conditional offer until they get their results or prove old results.
If it is conditional and you send in your certificates, they may not update your status until August Results Day.

Thanks man
Reply 137
Do I stand a chance of an interview?6a* 4a gcse, BBBC AS with AAA prediction (c was in chemistry but still predicted an A)680 ukcat band 1Strong ps
Original post by neostigmine
next step: waiting for interviews

thajnk you so much
Original post by ameeis
Do I stand a chance of an interview?6a* 4a gcse, BBBC AS with AAA prediction (c was in chemistry but still predicted an A)680 ukcat band 1Strong ps

As you meet the minimum requirements you will be interviewed if your UKCAT is in the top 450 or so scores.

Quick Reply

Latest