The Student Room Group

Should I not apply to Cambridge?

I was e-mailing Cambridge with some questions abour entry requirements and in every e-mail to me they mentioned that Cambridge is extremely competitive in medicine. Almost like they don't want me to apply. Do they write this to everyone or should I reconsider my application?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by barborazel
I was e-mailing Cambridge with some questions abour entry requirements and in every e-mail to me they mentioned that Cambridge is extremely competitive in medicine. Almost like they don't want me to apply. Do they write this to everyone or should I reconsider my application?

Almost every university have e-mailed me with the same thing (mostly because it's true). So I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to apply go for it!

How is anyone meant to give you a valid answer based on an email you find mildly discouraging?
(edited 7 years ago)
Medicine at Cambridge isn't actually as competitive as it says, out of all of the ones I've seen Cambridge and Oxford are not too bad, however there is two main things which would be a challenge
grade requirements are higher i think two A* for Cambridge
also your personal statement has to include ALOT of academic achievements like essays you have written, eps, lectures you have attended etc
this is because they prioritise academics
Reply 4
Original post by CrystalSalvatore
Medicine at Cambridge isn't actually as competitive as it says, out of all of the ones I've seen Cambridge and Oxford are not too bad, however there is two main things which would be a challenge
also your personal statement has to include ALOT of academic achievements like essays you have written, eps, lectures you have attended etc

I think I have quite a lot of academic achievements. Now I am starting an internship where I will take part in epilepsy research. The institute where I will be doing it even gave me more offers such as research of pain, tooth cavities, clubfoot,... At high school I went to genetics club for four years where we learned lab techniques and even sequenced a gene which we then sent into an international database. No high school in my country has ever done that before. I also did a research on forest vegetation at another institute. Then I went into a biochemical institute a couple times where I did some lab projects.

I also passed a university level biology class which is meant only for exceptionally talented students.

And this year I'm volunteering at a hospital where I spend time with patients who are very ill.

Do you think that's good enough? Do I have a chance?
Out of curiosity why would you want to study medicine at Cambridge? Everyone I know applying to medicine (myself and 11 others) hated the way it taught the course and didn't understand the appeal at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

I also did a lot of extracurricular activities that are not connected to medicine. I participated in model UN, model EU and model NATO and go to debates about politics quite a lot. I played the piano for 12 years and I paint. Also I went to drama club for several years.

Also I forgot to mention that I went to a lot of scientific competitions.
Reply 7
Original post by Failingstudent98
Out of curiosity why would you want to study medicine at Cambridge? Everyone I know applying to medicine (myself and 11 others) hated the way it taught the course and didn't understand the appeal at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I have international academic qualifications so I can't choose from as many universities as UK students.

My other choices are these: King's, Imperial and Sheffield.

To be honest I'm not too deeply familiar with how the Cambridge course is different from the others. All I heard is that it's more focused on science than clinical training (which I have to admit I also don't like very much). What are your reasons why you don't like it? And what would you suggest as other choice for example?

I think for Oxbridge, the statement doesn't require the traditional over-load of academics. In fact, the Oxford personal statement guide wanted an equal emphasis on soft and scientific skills.

At the end of the day it's down to your academics. A*s for GCSE and AS UMS for Cambridge.
Well, I have international academic qualifications so I can't choose from as many universities as UK students.

My other choices are these: King's, Imperial and Sheffield.

To be honest I'm not too deeply familiar with how the Cambridge course is different from the others. All I heard is that it's more focused on science than clinical training (which I have to admit I also don't like very much). What are your reasons why you don't like it? And what would you suggest as other choice for example?

Cambridge have two years preclinical so you don't see patients till year three I believe. Also its a very science heavy course and the workload is supposed to be higher than at other uni's
Reply 10
Original post by HopelessMedic
Cambridge have two years preclinical so you don't see patients till year three I believe. Also its a very science heavy course and the workload is supposed to be higher than at other uni's

And what other choice would you recommend? (preferably one that is liberal about international qualifications)
And what other choice would you recommend? (preferably one that is liberal about international qualifications)

I don't really know much about international qualifications I'm afraid, sorry.
18% of applicants get offers
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-cambridge-c05/medicine-6-years-9000-a100

and their graduate salary is almost as much as maths graduate from the same university
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-cambridge-c05/mathematics-3-years-9000-g100-13234

worth applying just don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Reply 13
Original post by Luke7456
18% of applicants get offers
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-cambridge-c05/medicine-6-years-9000-a100

and their graduate salary is almost as much as maths graduate from the same university
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-cambridge-c05/mathematics-3-years-9000-g100-13234

worth applying just don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Well, that's not so bad. In my country the best medical schools only accept about 10%...

The admission system is completely different though...

I can't answer this (because I'm from the uk) but to clarify what the other person replied most med schools have you assessing patients in your first few months, some give you contact on the first week! Cambridge have purely science for the first two years which put me of greatly as I'm applying for medicine partly because of my love of working with people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I can't answer this (because I'm from the uk) but to clarify what the other person replied most med schools have you assessing patients in your first few months, some give you contact on the first week! Cambridge have purely science for the first two years which put me of greatly as I'm applying for medicine partly because of my love of working with people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's kind of what puts me off from Cambridge a little...

What do you think about Newcastle for example?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't it purely science for 3 years since you do a BA in year 3?
Reply 17
Now I've been researching Newcastle and it seems quite good. Which one of my choices (KCL, Imperial, Cambridge, Sheffield) would you replace with Newcastle? Also considering my UKCAT (703) and the fact that I haven't really studied for BMAT yet.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Now I've been researching Newcastle and it seems quite good. Which one of my choices (KCL, Imperial, Cambridge, Sheffield) would you replace with Newcastle? Also considering my UKCAT (703) and the fact that I haven't really studied for BMAT yet.

I'd say Imperial! I've heard Imperial is competitive for medicine. Just like Warwick is competitive for Maths :smile:
Reply 19
I think I have quite a lot of academic achievements. Now I am starting an internship where I will take part in epilepsy research. The institute where I will be doing it even gave me more offers such as research of pain, tooth cavities, clubfoot,... At high school I went to genetics club for four years where we learned lab techniques and even sequenced a gene which we then sent into an international database. No high school in my country has ever done that before. I also did a research on forest vegetation at another institute. Then I went into a biochemical institute a couple times where I did some lab projects.

I also passed a university level biology class which is meant only for exceptionally talented students.

And this year I'm volunteering at a hospital where I spend time with patients who are very ill.

Do you think that's good enough? Do I have a chance?

I'd say you have done quite a lot! medicine is the only Cambridge course where they place weight on extracurriculars(maybe too for other subjects if they helped gain an understanding of X and Y). Just make sure you make a connection between what you've done-passion for medicine-how it has made you think for further possibilities to the medical field in your PS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending