The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GavinJR
Ideally you have to show a sustained commitment to studying medicine, so start as early as possible before application. It may also help you to make your mind up.

Thanks yeah I also don't do the standard subject though. I do maths and it is quite a 180 sort of and because I didn't do biology or chemistry I'm going to have to do the gamsat. I'm pretty smart so that doesn't seem to be too much of an issue the problem I have is when I'm supposed to get this all done while also doing my degree. I've started reading stuff and doing bits of bio and chem but it seems I'm going too slow. Don't have time for getting work experience either. It's alright to do it a year after my degree right?
Application submitted😁😁
Newcastle, Barts, Warwick and Southampton.
Predicted 1:1 and 750 UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1982
Original post by Gatewaymerge
Thanks yeah I also don't do the standard subject though. I do maths and it is quite a 180 sort of and because I didn't do biology or chemistry I'm going to have to do the gamsat. I'm pretty smart so that doesn't seem to be too much of an issue the problem I have is when I'm supposed to get this all done while also doing my degree. I've started reading stuff and doing bits of bio and chem but it seems I'm going too slow. Don't have time for getting work experience either. It's alright to do it a year after my degree right?

Taking a year out is absolutely fine. Also, you would have the entire summer to revise for the GAMSAT, so don't let that negatively effect your degree now. Even if it were a couple hours a week at uni, or a few days when home for christmas etc volunteering, it would look good.
Original post by NafNaf39
Oh dear I know I've wanted to add one other thing in but you've just got to be so selective with what you include in it :/

You're too sweet and kids are hard to say no to anyway :smile:

Same here. If you can't do something don't agree to it. Oh well.

I'm in 2 minds about the PA course. i just don't think I'd be happy being a PA and not a doc :frown:

I'm thinkint about cutting stuff out but can't find much. And my introduction's been scrapped because it was too morbit.

I don't know. I love it when kids hug me. Makes me feel so much better about myself lol

That's exactly why I think it won't appeal to many wannabe medics. I think you'd have to be a certain way to want to be a PA. The entry requirements are pretty limiting too as not everyon has done a science-y degree. But tbh, if I was older, already had kids and wanted a job with a better work-life balance, being a PA wouldn't seem so bad. I just don't really want kids so a bad work-life balance doesn't put me off as much as it does for other people.
Original post by sean0219
Application submitted😁😁
Newcastle, Barts, Warwick and Southampton.
Predicted 1:1 and 750 UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

good stats :smile: are these all for the 4 year?
Original post by Lostperson
good stats :smile: are these all for the 4 year?

They are yea. 5 year not really financially viable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sean0219
They are yea. 5 year not really financially viable

Posted from TSR Mobile

good luck I'm sure you'll score interviews with those stats x
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I'm thinkint about cutting stuff out but can't find much. And my introduction's been scrapped because it was too morbit.

I don't know. I love it when kids hug me. Makes me feel so much better about myself lol

That's exactly why I think it won't appeal to many wannabe medics. I think you'd have to be a certain way to want to be a PA. The entry requirements are pretty limiting too as not everyon has done a science-y degree. But tbh, if I was older, already had kids and wanted a job with a better work-life balance, being a PA wouldn't seem so bad. I just don't really want kids so a bad work-life balance doesn't put me off as much as it does for other people.

I couldn't agree with you more.*
:eek: Just submitted. Barts, Warwick, Southampton, and Newcastle. 1:1 BSc, Distinction MSc. and 730 UKCAT.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising

I left it for a few hours came back to it and realised i had so much unnecessary stuff that was just taking up space and not doing much else. Have you managed to sort it out now?

Haha any sorta of hug can have that effect :P

I can't remember looking at the entry requirements just reading about what it sort of entails etc... but its a new course and maybe after a few years they may make the entry requirements broader? Dunno.

Yeah kids are another factor to consider. :?
Having a bit of a panic now, which ini out of Barts, Newcastle and kings is the one that really prioritises firsts?
Out of those 3, I've gone for kings and Barts.. only have a 2:1 but 750 ukcat.
I've spent bloody ages trawling through last year's threads to try and work out a timeline for when we might hear about interviews, etc. Need to chill.
Applying to Warwick, Newcastle (grad and undergrad) and King's grad. Undergraduate predicted a first (although that's up for debate), 767 UKCAT.
Original post by NafNaf39
I left it for a few hours came back to it and realised i had so much unnecessary stuff that was just taking up space and not doing much else. Have you managed to sort it out now?

Haha any sorta of hug can have that effect :P

I can't remember looking at the entry requirements just reading about what it sort of entails etc... but its a new course and maybe after a few years they may make the entry requirements broader? Dunno.

Yeah kids are another factor to consider. :?

Yeah I think I'm going to give it an hour and go back to it. Might do something else in the meantime like watch TV.

A lot of unis want a life science subject or something similar. It's not too strict tbh. Seems like it would be a comfortable career too. There just doesn't seem to be much career progression.

What kind of voice has everyone gone for in their personal statements? I was trying to write in detail but my cousins says its too flowery so now I'm trying to make it more formal. Don't know if it wold be okay tho
Does anyone have information regarding UK Medical School's policies on degrees obtained in the US?

My degree converts to a 1:1 BSc (Biochemistry and Microbiology) and I obtained an average UKCAT score of 700.
Anyone applying for cambridge or oxford, see for your reference...I know it has to be 2 different people, but can it be in the same field because I cannot get any references from uni, so am using charity work and pharmacy work. is that ok? (both from non-academic angle)
Original post by Ama2007
Anyone applying for cambridge or oxford, see for your reference...I know it has to be 2 different people, but can it be in the same field because I cannot get any references from uni, so am using charity work and pharmacy work. is that ok? (both from non-academic angle)

oxford want 3 xx
Original post by Ama2007

For oxford they want applicant to have atleast 2 academic references(3 in total). I don't know anything about cambridge but expect something similar.
Original post by Tsar101
For oxford they want applicant to have atleast 2 academic references(3 in total). I don't know anything about cambridge but expect something similar.

hey tsar, my final academic reference just sent theirs. PHEW. Time to wrap up the PS and send it off by tomo morning!
EEK!

Where else have u applied?
Original post by Ama2007

For cambridge, at least one reference needs to be academic. In the reference section of the Cambridge application, your referree has to comment on your academic ability (which only an academic referee can do).
Original post by Lostperson
hey tsar, my final academic reference just sent theirs. PHEW. Time to wrap up the PS and send it off by tomo morning!
EEK!

Where else have u applied?

Just in the nick of time :smile: I still need to do some editing on my personal statement so I'll be sending it on the 15th......

I am appling to Oxford, Swansea, Imperial(5yrs) and St George's.

How about yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending