The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Decent enough session tonight.

Squats:

167.5 x 5/5/5/5/5

Very hard. Maybe staying a bit too upright on some reps.

Bench press:

100 x 4 - paused
90 x 4/4/4 - paused

Aiming for 5 but for is still technically a PR. Need to stay tighter - much tighter.

Then home.
How do you mean too upright. First time I've seen anyone being too upright on a low bar squat!
Original post by Angry cucumber
How do you mean too upright. First time I've seen anyone being too upright on a low bar squat!

You need to lean over in order to better use the hips, and the resultant stretch on the hamstrings also helps prevent excessive depth. Without this you are essentially doing a high bar style squat, with the bar down a bit lower.
Very quick one this afternoon. Just one lift. Too tired to do other lifts.

Press:

70 x 6/6/6/5

The last one was a real struggle, went up and down a few times, and I'm not sure if I actually locked it out so I'm not counting it.

Then home.
Okay session tonight.

Paused squat:

150 x 3

Just intended to be like a warm up, rather than the usual pattern of light squats, but was actually quite hard.

Bench press:

95 x 5/5/5 - paused

Focused on tightness.

Deadlifts:

185 x 5

Pretty hard. Will use the belt next time.

Then home.
Tonight wasn't good. Not recovered from Monday. I think I need to get onto a programme, as at the moment I do pretty much whatever. Need some structure, and something that takes recovery into account.

Squats:

170 x 5/2

Low back wasn't feeling recovered from Monday.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/4/3

Getting back into these, I suppose.

Some lacrosse ball work then home.
Decent enough session tonight. A relatively quick one.

Press:

70 x 6/6/6/6

Got them all. Very difficult on the last reps. Keeping tight at the bottom helps with the initial movement, uses the upper back more, although I fatigue a little bit faster.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5/1

Used a slightly wider grip on these, which probably used more lats, which might explain why I got more reps.

Some quick stretching then home.
Decent enough session tonight. Not too long.

Squats:

170 x 5/5/5

Quite difficult. Not doing 5 x 5 any more.

Bench press:

97.5 x 5/5/5 - paused

Last reps quite difficult.

Chins:

bodyweight x 4

Tonight wasn't going to be an night for getting much chins done so I left it there.

Some foam rolling then home.
Good enough session tonight.

Press:

72.5 x 5/5/5

Quite hard actually. Harder than I thought they'd be. Not doing 4 x 6 - doing 3 x 5 and going to put more focus on back work.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/3

Hit and miss.

Barbell rows:

90 x 6/6/6

First set the hardest. Second and third not bad.

Then home.
Strong pressing as always
Another quick one tonight.

CGBP:

90 x 5/5/5 - paused

Not too hard.

Barbell rows:

92.5 x 6/6/6/6

Easier than last time.

Then home.
Another quick one tonight. Still not on a programme, so just getting stuff in.

Squats:

172.5 x 5/5/5

Very difficult.

Some quick stretching then home.
Tonight was egregious. Tried to press, got 75 for a double, but just wasn't feeling up for it. Knee hurting - squat form must be drifting again - and deadlifting didn't feel too good at all, even just warm ups. So did some lacrosse ball work and stretching instead.

Then home.
Not a great session tonight.

Squats:

160 x 5/5/5

Not too hard. De-loading a bit as form was likely drifting. Trying to keep back tighter and movement smoother, and possibly a bit slower as well.

Deadlifts:

190 x 0

****, my deadlift has died again.

Then home.
Tonight was dreadful. Tried to squat, got to 170 but just didn't have it in me.Then tried to press but that was far worse - even 40 was a struggle. I was quite achy and sore so I did some lacrosse ball work for a bit, then some stretching. This helped me discover that I am extremely tight in the lower body. Much work needed. Hopefully this helps the knee.

Then home.
Okay session tonight. Thinking of switching to something like having each day with a main lift at the beginning then assistance, e.g. squat + assistance, bench + assistance, etc.

Bench press [paused]:

90 x 3
95 x 4
80 x 5/5/8

Not done this in a while. 90 x 3 was actually very difficult. 95 felt a little bit easier, so got an extra rep. Must have been tighter or something. Not pushing anything to the max as no spotter.

Tried to do some chins but only got one.

Triceps pull downs:

4 x 10

Almost the whole stack.

Then home.
Original post by Smack
Okay session tonight. Thinking of switching to something like having each day with a main lift at the beginning then assistance, e.g. squat + assistance, bench + assistance, etc.

Bench press [paused]:

90 x 3
95 x 4
80 x 5/5/8

Not done this in a while. 90 x 3 was actually very difficult. 95 felt a little bit easier, so got an extra rep. Must have been tighter or something. Not pushing anything to the max as no spotter.

Tried to do some chins but only got one.

Triceps pull downs:

4 x 10

Almost the whole stack.

Then home.

Are these numbers pounds or kg? Good work regardless, keep it up.
Original post by stochasticking
Are these numbers pounds or kg? Good work regardless, keep it up.

Kilos.

Quick Reply

Latest