The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SirAlexFerguson
Yeah your pressing will give us problems like City's but if we have Mata, Herrera and Pogba we can counter that in intervals with quick passing to find space.

Agree about Milner but genuine pace will give anyone a problem :smile:

Yeah thats what makes these derby games so fun, form goes out of the window and its about who plays better on the day!

Unless you are Bayern or Barca, passing out of an intense press would be very difficult that even City themselves struggled against Spurs pressing. The easiest and less riskier way to beat our press is hoof it forward (as many teams have done in the pass) and you have the advantage of having Ibra upfront to hold the ball and lay it off to Martial or Rashford. There is also set pieces which I don't need to go into detail...

You could basically press us back like Swansea did but from your midfield and forward line, I can only see Herrera and probably Pogba being able to do that effectively and it needs to be a collective team effort to do that otherwise you just end up with leaving nice big spaces for us to exploit like Leicester did. Tbh, the main problem with a Mata, Herrera and Pogba midfield is that it not defensively solid enough (which is essential to being able to counter attack well like Leicester did last season) and at Anfield I'm not sure if Mourinho will risk it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3921
Original post by Fizzel
Morgan must just being doing something horrendous in training. Poch made a bid for him this summer too, so clearly having working with him doesn't see him as a midtable player who can't make the step up. Clearly just isn't doing what Jose wants from him, but do feel he's the kind of player Jose could stumble across later on in the season.

I think we're going to get spanked tbh. Everyone saw what happened in the first half against City, I think we could well struggle in a similar manner. Team isn't the finished product, haven't even hit the ground running with this season's iteration. Just feel the flaws in this team are going to be exposed best by teams like City, Spurs and Liverpool.

Yeah I'd expect a spanking but in all honesty Liverpool look pretty uneasy on set pieces while your team is pretty much designed to score goals on set pieces. I doubt you're getting much from counter attacks with the team you'll use but set pieces and aerial threats is more than enough to hurt Liverpool.

On the basis of general play see Liverpool dominating in that sense but then again Mourinho doesn't really give a damn about that anyway, he just finds other ways for the team to score in that case.

I'm not sure on whether Rooney will start or not. I think he will as I don't think he trusts Mata in these kind of games. I would be inclined to play Mkhitaryan in the middle with Pogba and Schneiderlin behind.
(edited 7 years ago)
We will either annihilate Liverpool like 3-1 or vice versa. This won't be a draw.

I hope Mourinho starts Mhiki! Mans just waiting to be unleashed!
Original post by trapking
We will either annihilate Liverpool like 3-1 or vice versa. This won't be a draw.

I hope Mourinho starts Mhiki! Mans just waiting to be unleashed!

Since when does 3-1 equal annihilate?

Can't see you beating us in open play unless we have a shocker. Set pieces and general aerial battles could decide the game for you. It's not pretty but if it works...
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yeah I'd expect a spanking but in all honesty Liverpool look pretty uneasy on set pieces while your team is pretty much designed to score goals on set pieces. I doubt you're getting much from counter attacks with the team you'll use but set pieces and aerial threats is more than enough to hurt Liverpool.

On the basis of general play see Liverpool dominating in that sense but then again Mourinho doesn't really give a damn about that anyway, he just finds other ways for the team to score in that case.

I'm not sure on whether Rooney will start or not. I think he will as I don't think he trusts Mata in these kind of games. I would be inclined to play Mkhitaryan in the middle with Pogba and Schneiderlin behind.

We'll dominate possession and (probably) chances, but the deciding factors will be 1) how many times DDG bails them out and 2) how retarded we are from simple set pieces.

Surely Mata will play? His record against us is amazing.

Everything points to a Liverpool win, so understandably I can't see that happening :colonhash:
I honestly can't see us getting more than a point in this game. Will be another miserable day, Liverpool will most probably get a penalty (they seem to be getting them handed to them this season), Felliani will play and won't have a clue what he is doing, Pogba will most probably get annoyed by the lack of support and get booked for something stupid, Ibra will be thinking why he has ruined his near perfect record by coming to a **** team..... Then the whole process will repeat the weekend after against Chelsea.
Can't wait for Juan to turn up again.

Madness
DDG been ok this season.
negative kents
Rooney out. Griezmann in.

Yes please.
(edited 7 years ago)
Night x

Will take a very long time tbh. Liverpool will feel obliged to oppose it since such a sensitive topic for so many families.
Original post by Zerforax
Will take a very long time tbh. Liverpool will feel obliged to oppose it since such a sensitive topic for so many families.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/05/liverpool-supporters-consult-hillsborough-safe-standing-anfield

93% of Liverpool supporters union voted in favour. Plus it is completely safe, safe standing is not like standing in the 70s where they would just cram in as many as possible, it offers no increase in capacity and only the same amount of tickets are sold, the sheer focus is to improve the atmosphere.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/05/liverpool-supporters-consult-hillsborough-safe-standing-anfield

93% of Liverpool supporters union voted in favour. Plus it is completely safe, safe standing is not like standing in the 70s where they would just cram in as many as possible, it offers no increase in capacity and only the same amount of tickets are sold, the sheer focus is to improve the atmosphere.

But that is just 93% of LSU.

Whereas The Hillsborough Family Support Group is strongly opposed and Hillsborough Justice Campaign are 50/50.

There are a lot of mixed views from Liverpool fans. Primarily those who are from Liverpool and remember the time are opposed whereas younger fans and those outside of Liverpool are more keen/relaxed about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it but it won't happen easily or quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of Europe embraced it first and then England was the last place..
But that is just 93% of LSU.

Whereas The Hillsborough Family Support Group is strongly opposed and Hillsborough Justice Campaign are 50/50.

There are a lot of mixed views from Liverpool fans. Primarily those who are from Liverpool and remember the time are opposed whereas younger fans and those outside of Liverpool are more keen/relaxed about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it but it won't happen easily or quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of Europe embraced it first and then England was the last place..

I know what you mean, but come on spectator safety has come along way since the Hillsborough disaster. Plus, safe standing has been used in Germany with great effect for years.
I know what you mean, but come on spectator safety has come along way since the Hillsborough disaster. Plus, safe standing has been used in Germany with great effect for years.

You don't have to convince me. Obviously just a very sensitive topic for some.
You don't have to convince me. Obviously just a very sensitive topic for some.

Suppose we'll see what happens. Would mean cheaper tickets as well, which is always good.
Suppose we'll see what happens. Would mean cheaper tickets as well, which is always good.

If they add standing but on a one-to-one basis to current seating then prices won't drop..

Latest