The Student Room Group

Making up for low AS grades at UCAS application

post removed

Scroll to see replies

Well if you're expecting those grades then you've got nothing to worry about (except maybe not being able to get an offer from Cambridge). Everybody applies to unis above what their AS grades are.

Come back after results day.
Reply 2
You could retake your weakest (UMS wise) units? However this will only really work if you missed a grade you should have got.

For example, say you were predicted to get a strong A in C1 yet came out with a high B. It is likely your teachers will predict you the grade which you were working towards providing you retake. However, if your teachers were expecting you to get a B and you got a B but want to retake - in my school's case, they won't predict higher.
Reply 3
To be honest, if you get B or worse in FM at AS-level I think making a successful Cambridge application would be a stretch.

But applying post A-level is certainly an option. If you really want to go down that route keep in mind that there's still no guarantee you will get a Cambridge offer. If you have a strong plan B then that's fine... :wink:

There's absolutely no point loading up more A-levels though. It's quality not quantity for Cambridge (or any university for that matter).
Reply 4
There's no harm in applying this year - the worst that would happen is you get an early rejection, and you never know. And yes you can re-apply next year. But this is all supposition. It would be better to have the conversation AFTER you get your AS results.

And applying post A-level means you apply in your gap year with results already achieved. It might be an idea to do something "useful" during the gap year and taking AFM could be one thing, but there's no point adding extra A-levels for the sake of it.
Also if you do apply post A-level you would ideally need to exceed the typical offer (For CompSci w/Maths that's A*A*A, 1,1 in STEP II & III) to be competitive.
If you are expecting those than its very good. Your AS grades don't matter a lot its your predicted grades and personal statement you should worry about. All the best on results day :P
Reply 6
Yes it would be a good learning experience at least (and as I said, you never know). If you get to interview then you will also do the CSAT (admissions test) which can help improve your chances.

No, there's no point trying to play off Cambridge and Oxford. If you prefer the Oxford course, apply there from the start. If you prefer Cambridge apply there. The admissions processes are subtly different and I think you'd do better having a potentially "dry run" with the university you actually want to go to.

I think AFM would be a sensible thing to do, maybe I'd take an EPQ too to show off some fancy mathematical computation but nought else if there's no point. I'd spend some time working on computational mathematics and programming, maybe some MOOCS or similar so I had something to show for it.

Yep - that's all good. Even AFM may not be necessary if you are doing MOOCS etc.

That sounds like a horrible offer to have to try and one-up as a re-applicant, but it is what it is. If I was in that ballpark then I'd hope I'd be no worse off for choice of Universities than I'd be otherwise for 2017 entry.

The offer only includes STEP because you are adding the "w/Maths" bit. And there's a chance of being moved across to the non w/Maths options if you don't meet the STEP requirement. (That's not guaranteed and depends on the college.)

What sort of results would I be expected to achieve this year to be a competitive re-applicant? Should I really be getting S grades in STEP? I don't mean to sound like a slacker by asking for the minimum, but rather I'm worried about what is actually possible.

No, getting 1,1 would be competitive enough. Although there's a possibilty they might ask you to also get a S in any STEP paper in your gap year. Again, it depends on the college and their view of cruel and unusual treatment :wink:

Thanks again, I'm really grateful for your insight.

No problem :smile:

And have a look at the 2017 Applicants thread...
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3164815
Reply 7
Your FM is the issue. I think Cambridge would be a long shot, and probably also Imperial. Offers are likely from Warwick & Bath. Durham can be, um, idiosyncratic...
Reply 8
Cambridge gives you another "chance to shine" via its CSAT test, so maybe it could be your super-optimistic choice. :wink:

I'm not an expert on Durham's processes...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
The CSAT is taken on the day of interview. But they do interview most (approx 80%) applicants.

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions-test/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'd be very surprised if you didn't get offers again from the same universities if you reapply. They don't hold grudges...

And your PS should be aimed at the other universities. Cambridge gets the SAQ with a specific PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
You need to quote me otherwise I may miss your post :wink:

If you reapply with A*A*AA and 1,1 then yes you would be competitive for Cambridge. (But there's no guarantees... :wink: )

But please think VERY carefully about spending £2k on a residential...
Reply 12
Had the same problem mate, I ended up worse with ABCD. I was looking into applying for Civil Engineering or MORSE at Warwick, but I really screwed up FM (D) I'm planning to retake AS as well as doing the A2 is there any point of applying for Warwick,Bath,etc.
Reply 13
What is the lowest that someone knows Imperial have ever offered someone?
Reply 14
Uh oh. Can you persuade your referee to follow-up your application and send the "correct" prediction to each university? I imagine all your choices are typically asking for more than AAA?

I have very little info on St Andrews except an observation that they tend to sing to a different tune. I've seen very good candidates receiving Cambridge offers but St Andrews rejections...
Reply 15
Contact UCAS asap... https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/making-changes-your-ucas-undergraduate

(I don't know if it's possible but it's worth a shot... @PQ or @claireestelle may be able to confirm.)
Reply 16
No problem, and good luck!

(I think you might need it :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending